Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Green Whippet #2

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
[to be sung to the tune of Love Potion #9 :)]

I was lucky enough to come across another green Whippet -- I would describe this one as more of a sage green. It is reminiscent of the color that Stetson now calls "Bark" -- a yellowish green with brown undertones. The ribbon and edge binding are done in a matching green. I sent this one off to Optimo for cleaning and blocking, and, as always, Graham and company did a great job. Open crown is 5 1/2". Brim width is 2 5/8". Ribbon is 1 3/4". The crown of the lining is covered with that good ol' translucent material, so my best guess is that this one dates from the 40's. I think the felt/ribbon color combination makes for a really sharp look...

OpenCrown-7.jpg

Whippet.jpg

LongOval.jpg

To give a sense of the color, here is the green Whippet next to a brown Royal DeLuxe Stetson [which just so happens to be styled exactly the same as a Whippet]...

BrownGreen.jpg

Left-1.jpg

Right-5.jpg

And here is the Royal DeLuxe flanked by the two green Whippets...

3Lids.jpg

Cheers,
JtL

BigSleep

One of the Regulars
Hey Jimmy
Could you please tell me what Optimo charges for what you had done to that hat?

I have a pretty nice Whippet that could use the same treatment and they did a wonderful job on yours.

Thanks from a former Detroiter.
Jim

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
Is that "former" Detroiter, or "warmer" Detroiter? :D

I sent my Whippet to Optimo for a "clean and block" -- cost is in the range of $30 - $40. I had the Whippet blocked back into an open crown, since I like to do my own creases. But I know that you can also have your hat creased as part of the service, if that's something that you want. So far, my experience with Optimo has been excellent.

Cheers,
JtL

Duck

Practically Family
You da man, Jimmy!!!:eusa_clap :eusa_clap Not 1, but 2 green Whippets !!!!
Green and brown are the 2 colors I hope to add to my meager collection.
And I have to say, your creases are absolutely superb.:eusa_clap :eusa_clap

RJCNTX

Familiar Face
Myyyyyyyy kyboarrrrrrrrrdd nnnnnoo lon err wwworrrrrrrrkkksss frrrrrrommmmm aaalll th ddrrrrooooooollllll.

Razzman

One Too Many
A couple of sweet looking lids you have JTL. :eusa_clap :eusa_clap Optimo does a great job. I had a Penneys Marathon completely refurbished and they did a fantastic job.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
All around my head I shall wear the green whippet
For my lover who is fur fur away

:eusa_clap
That Bark is a very nice and compatible color - it fills the role in the green family that taupe does in the browns.
I imagine we'd see more of each if hats were still made to be part of everyday wear, and not just a fun accessory.

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
Many thanks, Gents.

Duck -- glad you like the creases! Thanks! :)

Fletch -- I have owned a couple of Gun Clubs in "bark" that I have worn as outdoor hats over the years. I really like that color a lot. It surprises me how many of the vintage Stetson ads feature lids in various shades of green. I think those lids are actually more versatile than people might think, and can be worn with browns, grays, greens, and some lighter colors, as well. It's also a good look with a leather jacket.

Cheers,
JtL

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot