Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gregory Gramps Boyington

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
I thought some of you might like this photo I found of Lt. Col. Gregory "Pappy" Boyington taken during the filming of Baa Baa Black Sheep during the 70s. By the way, his real nick name was Gramps while flying with VMF-214. The news real guys thought that sounded to old for a fighter pilot and settled on Pappy.
boyington_corsair.jpg

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
I just thought about a little alternate history. What if Pappy could have stayed sober during the 60s-70s? You had Bob Hoover flying his Cavalier P-51 in first North American then Rockwell markings at airshows around the world. Think of a Corsair in Vought paint with Pappy at the controls. What a show with Bob and Greg in duel aerobatics, wouldn't that have been great?

TomS

One Too Many
I made Mr. Boyington's acquaintance in the early 1980s, while I was a Marine stationed in Hawaii; He was the friend of a friend kind of thing. At any rate, he gave me a couple of his personal photos from WWII, and autographed a couple of reprints. He was a very nice fella. If I can find the stuff I'll post it.

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
That would be great. I meant him back in the 70s, real nice guy. His down fall was, he was basically a Dr Jeckle Mr Hyde personalty when he drank.

1930artdeco

Practically Family
I met him at an airshow in the early 80's and got his card to order his book later. I told my grandfather about it and he called him up and they talked for quite awhile I guess. Grandpa flew with one of his Sqdrn pilots and got me an autographed copy of his book.

Mike

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy