Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Grey bowler hat

Enig

New in Town
Sam Craig said:
Alt for Norge!
Hey, where did you learn that?:)

Just got a mail from the Hat Guys, explaining that Borsalinos run small. He probably just mixed up and meant Lagomarsino, since that's what my hat is. So that probably explains why I measured it to 58, and it gave me a red mark on my forehead. Just thought I'd mention it in case someone else stumbles over this site and is thinking about getting one. Still, it was surprisingly easy to do just the little change that was needed to have it fit perfectly, so no big deal for my part, at least.

runeflaten said:
I've asked at Holms hatter in Oslo once, and they say they can help with reblocking if you ever need that. Don't know where in Norway you live, though, but I suspect that's the only place in the country where you can have hats reblocked...
Thanks, that's really nice to know. I currently live in Oslo, so that suits me fine :)

Edit: I just remembered, I've actually been at Holms in Oslo, but didn't think they did more than sell hats there. It's about the only hat shop around, I think.

JacobSwan

New in Town
It's best to measure a bowler side to side and front to back as well as the circumference. Being stiff they won't mold to the shape of your head the same way a felt hat would. So if your bowler is round and your head is an oval or vice versa, you will end up with a red mark unless you go up a size. Trust me on this I learnt the hard way!

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
Enig said:
A poor webcam-photo for your amusement:
4342111636_aef56fb1f1.jpg

Nicely shaped hat that looks perfect on you. Good job.

Enig

New in Town
@scottyrocks: Thank you!

JacobSwan said:
It's best to measure a bowler side to side and front to back as well as the circumference. Being stiff they won't mold to the shape of your head the same way a felt hat would. So if your bowler is round and your head is an oval or vice versa, you will end up with a red mark unless you go up a size. Trust me on this I learnt the hard way!
Are this tips for what I should ask the seller about before I buy one, or what did you mean?

Hm, any tips for how to measure head length? I'm a long oval, pretty sure about that. I'm a 58 fedora size (at least that's what the perfectly fitting fedora with no size tag measured to), and I'm a 59 bowler size according to the hats I've tried on. 60 will most likely be too large.

Is it possible to stretch a real bowler without damaging it?

randooch

I'll Lock Up
Good Fit!

That hat looks perfect on you, better than I've ever seen a bowler look, actually. As for the size 60 being too big, you might not rule out a vintage one, as it may have shrunk a bit over time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21