Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Grey trousers + brown shoes

matei

One Too Many
... a variation on the theme of the original question

What about wearing brown shoes, grey or blue suit and a grey hat? Is that a faux pas?

I only ask because I don't currently have a brown hat. Well, I have a Dobbs but it is a wee bit too big.

Wild Root

Gone Home
Brown hats with blue suits... not for me thanks.

I'll wear red/brown shoes with dark blue suits... and for a hat, I wear a gray fedora. For some reason, a dark brown fedora looks all wrong with a navy suit. Now, if it's a 40's blue suit (which are more of an indigo or dark royal blue) then, a light tan or light red/brown hat would go well with it. If it's a navy suit and I mean like dark navy on the border of black, a gray hat is the way to go.

=WR=

matei

One Too Many
Thanks for that Root. Clashing colours is something that I don't usually realise until it is too late!

Wild Root

Gone Home
Not a prob, I just see ill combos some times, perfect example is an Indy brown fedora with a modern navy suit... the colors just don't work, the feel is all wrong, a nice dressy suit screams for a smart dressy hat, the color brown for me is more of a sporty "day time" type of color, a dressy dark blue or black suit deserves a light gray, dark gray or even sliver fedora with a black ribbon. The hat should be as dressy as the suit!

=WR=

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21