Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Grey trousers

WolfeMan

One of the Regulars
I have a pair of grey trousers, they almost look a little blue, and i was wondering what colour shirt to wear with them. The only shoes i own are a pair of corcoran boots and some brown dress shoes. Ive been wearing them with a black shirt and the boots, but would like to wear them more often and was wondering what other colours would look nice with them. You can see the top in this picture. I don't currently have a better photo, or anyone to take one, so this is it
Thanks

Wolfe
103_0682.jpg

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
I would say a white oxford shirt would work. But then again, I tend to say that white oxford shirts work for everything, but it really would work here. The white would give a very clean look that would balance itself nicely with the hardiness of the jacket, but because it is an oxford not a dress shirt, and therefore of a sturdier cotton, it would not seem out of place.

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
Grey trousers are the most versatile trousers. I'd go as far as saying they are something every gentleman should have in their wardrobe.

Your black shirt works, but it wouldn't have been my first choice personally. As already mentioned, a white shirt would work. Also, a light blue shirt looks perfect with grey trousers and a brown jacket (it's one of my favourite ways of wearing a brown jacket and avoiding the Indy look). Also try white and blue striped, and maybe a very light cream, however the latter will only work with certain shades of grey.

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
WolfeMan said:
I wore the black shirt because i had on black shoes as well.
Interesting logic, but I think the general opinion is that shirt and shoes are almost independent of each other. Only your belt and your shoes should be matched, providing they are made of leather (if not this rule doesn't apply). If we matched shirts and shoes we would end up needing white shoes and maybe even Hawaiian shirt shoes.

Ed13

Familiar Face
Almost any shirt colour will match grey trousers. My favorites are pink and light blue. About the only colour I don't like are grey shirts unless they have a coloured stripe or pattern. Wear whatever colour you feel suits you.

JimWagner

Practically Family
I'm partial to dark blue and deep wine as well as most of the mentioned colors. I don't think most earth tones work all that well with gray.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindawalters