Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Grizzly Jackets: A Fedora Lounge Guide

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
At the turn of the 20th century, fur coats were the best product on the market for motoring and for activities involving prolonged exposure to wind and the elements. Fur was warm, lighter in weight than wool of a comparable warmth, and was water and wind resistant. It was also expensive.
It was also expensive, and could be fragile. Sheeplined coats took the form of the fur coats, but replaced the fur with less expensive sheepskin and added a protective layer of canvas or wool to the outside.

The Edes Robe Tanning Company was founded c.1905 by Canadian-born St. Clair Ede. The company once had locations in Dubuque, Iowa, Saint Paul, Minnesota, Omaha, Nebraska and Souix Falls, South Dakota. Their primary business was ponyskin lap robes for carriages and early open automobiles. As carriages were replaced by automobiles, and as car design became enclosed, the need for fur robes mostly evaporated. Faced with a changing market, Edes focused their attention on their fur coat business, producing fur coats for men and women under the King-O-FUR label. Unlike many furriers, Edes took styling cues from the new waist-length outdoorsman's leather jacket styles, but made them in the material they knew best- ponyskin.

The jacket, with leather sleeves and trim and a fur body would catch on. Other companies began producing the style, modified with thick mouton panels instead of hair-on ponyskin, in the early 1930s, with the style peaking in popularity in 1937. King-O-Fur's slogan during the 1930s, "Not an Imitation and Not Imitated" spoke to the proliferation of similarly styled jackets which would spring onto the market. St. Claire Ede died in 1938 and the company was taken over by his widow Louise A Ede. The company was dissolved on November 15, 1939.

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
The name "Grizzly" was never used by manufacturers to describe these jackets. Popular terms included , "Laskinlamb Jacket", "Fur Jacket", "Wombat Jacket" and the earlier holdover term, "Fur Blouse". Laskinlamb and Wombat were both trade terms for the mouton used for the panels on the jackets.

The style as it is best known came into popularity around 1933. The fur of the Ede's jackets had been replaced by mouton. Trim was generally horsehide leather, and most had belted waistbands. These jackets were particularly popular with children and teenagers. Many ads mention convertible cuffs which could be turned down to "grow" with the child. There were a wide array of sleeve and cuff styles available. Perhaps a testament to the popularity of the style, you find ads in 1936-1937 for cheap versions of the style, made with imitation leather instead of horsehide, and with pile instead of mouton.
The style's popularity gradually built, peaking in the winter of 1937 but quickly dropping off after that. The few advertisements for this style in 1938-1940 are nearly all for final closeouts of remaining store stock.

Lakeland made a push in 1946 to sell the style again, under the name, "Lamb King". It's unclear whether this was new production, or if it was stock left over from 1937 that they were trying to move.

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
Aero Vicenza horsehide Grizzly

64DA6072-445E-44FE-9AA3-F2F24918415B.jpeg
F6DDF5DC-7B97-46B0-9194-AF11B12F39D0.jpeg
3C371F1A-A38E-4F72-A7CC-4EA0CCAB71EA.jpeg
B24439B0-DA23-471C-9D22-92F581C02291.jpeg
D71C8254-F9A6-4B4A-9259-AD93B7163494.jpeg
D0AF5E9D-E471-4AC6-ACA7-0CDFCB7D1021.jpeg
6C48F401-51CA-4336-99F9-F35C30859C6D.jpeg
B6FE0EC6-BF67-4ADF-8893-FB8B4673DEA1.jpeg
0A00229E-1396-4E13-A24F-D9199D3D610F.jpeg
EF8A2206-3028-4AAE-8343-450B605BBB30.jpeg

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
Just some more photo shots of the old Grizzlies from the Tanaka book/magazine:

IMG_6560.JPG

IMG_6561.JPG

IMG_6562.JPG

IMG_6563.JPG
IMG_6564.JPG

IMG_6565.JPG

IMG_6566.JPG

The Laskinlamb one with the half belt shape is my fav. Every repro I've seen is more or less the biker/bomber version.

I also have a conspiracy theory about these Grizzly jackets. And why most of the old ones have a straight body shape and no taper, but a few had the strong taper like my incoming Aero. I think the strong taper Grizzlys were actually adult men sizes tapered down to boy size and marketed them as such. Not a lot of price difference in the old ads. There were also other marketing advantages like sleeves can be lengthened to grow with the boy. Isn't just just an adult jacket sold as a boy's jacket? Anyways. The grizzly has been on my list for a long time. I think/hope the Aero will finally scratch the itch good. CXL FQHH with Irvin Fur, And that old wool lining.

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
The Aero Grizzly. I took advantage of the September sale. It arrived today.

Fit pics:
IMG_7046.JPG
IMG_7054.JPG
IMG_7081.JPG
IMG_7094.JPG

Jacket pics:
IMG_7099.JPG
IMG_7101.JPG

Lining - This tweed is very special. Deserves to be on the outside of the jacket. Very hearty tweed.
IMG_7100.JPG

One of the better patterns Aero offers. This one has the very comfortable neck line and shoulders. When I put my hands in my pockets the neck does not pull forward because the back is wider. Usual Aero is about 5" this one is a good inch wider. Very good.
IMG_7108.JPG

Thanks to the intel on Aero's Grizzly from these threads:

The Irvin Fur is very robust. Not dainty at all. Very thick, at least an inch or more.

And now I match one of my dogs:

IMG_7103.JPG

Go Grizzly Go!

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up

Fit pics:
View attachment 452897 View attachment 452898 View attachment 452899 View attachment 452900

Jacket pics:
View attachment 452901 View attachment 452902

Lining - This tweed is very special. Deserves to be on the outside of the jacket. Very hearty tweed.
View attachment 452903

One of the better patterns Aero offers. This one has the very comfortable neck line and shoulders. When I put my hands in my pockets the neck does not pull forward because the back is wider. Usual Aero is about 5" this one is a good inch wider. Very good.
View attachment 452904

[/URL]
[/URL]

The Irvin Fur is very robust. Not dainty at all. Very thick, at least an inch or more.

View attachment 452905

Go Grizzly Go!
Wow, this grizzly is amazing. What a beautiful jacket. I love the color combination. Perfect dimensions too (short body, narrow opening, wide chest).

Robbie79

Call Me a Cab
Tha

Fit pics:
View attachment 452897 View attachment 452898 View attachment 452899 View attachment 452900

Jacket pics:
View attachment 452901 View attachment 452902

View attachment 452903

View attachment 452904

[/URL]
[/URL]

View attachment 452905

Go Grizzly Go!
Congrats! That's one the most beautiful Grizzlies I've seen to date. It looks great on you and this combo is so nice.

Btw. last year in February I was discussing with Ken Calder (Aero) about following shal collar Grizzly.

He recommended Rust Mouton and their new brown Kelpie HH. A checked tartan cotton would be super authentic.
According to him a Grizzly really should have a grommit zipper to look it’s best and to be period correct.

I haven't ordered it so far but whenever I say a Grizzly it pops up again in my mind. I just want to avoid that I look disguised in such a jacket.

1663920655898.png

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zonko