Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Grooming: From Low Maintenance to High Maintenance

Goldfish

A-List Customer
I think we can agree that keeping up a vintage (inspired) look does require a higher level of maintence than our todays standard.

Personally, I find it hard to maintain a certain look, I already have problems keeping my nails tidy and neat. I would really like to change that, although I know you can't turn a tomboy into a Stepworf wife lol.

Do you have a schedule you stick to? Any secrets to share? How do you keep your look even if you have next to no time for grooming?

Viola

Call Me a Cab
Well I cheat and only do the vintage stuff that's easy for me. I don't do '20s eyebrows because I couldn't possibly keep up with it, I do '40s brows because that's what my brows want to do.

My hair is naturally coarse and somewhat wavy and I often just side-part it and leave some curl/wave in the ends and call it good, or add a headband or a pony and then a scarf.

Red lippie takes no more time than a nude or a lipgloss but it gives a lot more impact.

So my advice is to find a vintage look that isn't too far off from what you tend to naturally. I'd drive myself absolutely mad if I tried to do needle-fine brows and a tiny marcelled bob. Other girls look amazing with bobs and certainly if you have the hair/facial structure they are low-ish in maintenance.

So if you use coldcream and red lipstick and find a vintage hairstyle that isn't too implausible for your hair, I think you'll find the maintenance does not increase above today's standard too much, it just changes. Hair ironing vs. curling, etc.

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
Being organized helps. Little things like sorting through clean but unfolded laundry, searching for sock, shoe and earring mates, realizing you haven't steamed the shirt you were going to wear--it all adds minutes.

Having a good haircut helps, too. It's hard to style overgrown or badly cut hair; it's usually wasted time trying to get it in shape.

Personally, I keep it simple. My look is more classic than vintage: moderate makeup that takes me five minutes to put on and a hairstyle I can put together in about 15 or 20 minutes (see avatar). I do home pedicures and facials as needed. I can't keep up a fancy manicure or pincurls, so I don't exasperate myself trying.

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
I'm a high maintenance lady myself. DH agreed when I very recently asked him that specifically! I got the look of "well yeah, duh..." along with the verbal response.

For my nails, in mid May I finally decided after many, many years to try the acrylic with silk again. I now have perfect primarily red 40s style nails, and they stay looking great! One of the few indulgences I pay for to have done and maintained. Hand Lotion and cuticle cream are always kept in my car on the front passenger seat. I apply them in the car waiting at a red traffic light after I leave the house. Nice looking, well groomed pretty nails make me feel good! Gosh, I cannot stand to see the young gals around here all the time with chipped, chewed on nail polish in black or other horrendous colors.

I was a tomboy way back in middle school! I was a late bloomer. But I love the feminine styles and very female look the women had in the golden era of the 30s and 40s. I stick with vintage 40s and vintage-inspired look as it fits my body type best. I've had my hair set 5 times or so in 30s and 40s vintage styles since this Spring, the wet roller sets last me for 4-5 days. I drive an hour away each way to get it done. Yeah, its a long way, but at some point I'm hoping DH or DD can learn to do them for me at home. I'll need to buy a portable salon hood dryer or else sleep on the sets.

I drive 45 minutes each way to take all our family's vintage clothing to one particular dry cleaner that specializes in vintage. She's a miracle worker, so its worth the drive and cost to me with the investment we have in these special pieces of clothing.

I MAKE time for grooming and makeup, that said my grooming routines and makeup is very consistent and organized. Basically my makeup is the same for vintage as otherwise, maybe a little less eyeshadow or change in lip color. I have two main lipsticks, one lip liner shade, one blush shade, one brow pencil, one eyeliner pencil, one foundation, one powder and couple of shadows, an eyelash curler and mascara. That's it, all of it fits into a quart size baggie. I can do my makeup in less than 10, and can do it anywhere, carried along with me to where I'm headed if need be.

Skin care is IMPORTANT, I was lazy about that for years- and have been much more diligent about it in the last 6 or so years. I can see the difference compared to my peers.

Exercise is something that I need in my life to be healthy and have the energy to maintain my life with a husband, two teenage children and a house, adn two dogs. Exercise keeps me sane. I have a YMCA membership-so all the things I mainly do for exercise are at one place. My workout schedule is fairly consistent week to week.

Here's a good time saving tip regarding clothes, hair and makeup - learn what your best "colors" are, and stick with them! It will simplify your life an save you money and time, and thereby also energy. Find your best decade for vintage and try to stick close to it, you'll eliminate looking at 'everything', save time and money by narrowing your focus.

Generally I build it into my day's schedule to have enough time to get properly ready.

Goldfish said:
I think we can agree that keeping up a vintage (inspired) look does require a higher level of maintence than our todays standard.

Personally, I find it hard to maintain a certain look, I already have problems keeping my nails tidy and neat. I would really like to change that, although I know you can't turn a tomboy into a Stepworf wife lol.

Do you have a schedule you stick to? Any secrets to share? How do you keep your look even if you have next to no time for grooming?

MissWink

New in Town
I used to be such a tomboy, too! ;)
I keep a quite high mantenance now. Keeping nails in perfect condition (quite short though) and don't forgetting about toe nails, taking care of my skin, hair, keeping my clothes in good condition (careful washing and always fix tiny holes and rips immediately.

I try to always put together an outfit that flatters me the most, even if I'm just at home and wear comfortbale clothes. You never know who's gonna knock on your door...

Fleur De Guerre

Call Me a Cab
I'm personally a fan of the high maintenance look that is actually low maintenance to do. I recently posted on the 'Before and After' thread, a link to my vintage hair tutorial that shows how I do a 1940s hairstyle that takes me a total of 10 minutes in the morning, and in it, I admit that if I can find a shortcut to that perfect look, then great! I'm taking the shortcut!

Paisley makes a good point about being organised, I totally agree, however, I myself am completely disorganised. What helps me is that I own no clothes that aren't vintage inspired, and though I am terrible about folding and neatly putting my clean clothes away, all my dresses dry on hangars so they need minimal ironing, and my iron is a good one so it takes me minutes to touch up stuff I want to wear. I have a few hairstyles that take me literally minutes to do (the above is definitely the longest) and look 100% vintage, usually utilising my rat, either as a faux bang, or as a roll at the back, so paired with my quickly put together outfit, dressing vintage every day for me is not remotely difficult or high maintenance. My makeup takes about 10 minutes too. If I have been ultra organised for once and washed, dried and set my hair the night before, even that takes 10 minutes to sort out once I am dressed.

All that being said, why am I always leaving the house later than planned every morning? Oh yeah, bragging about my 'low maintenace look' look on t'internet!! lol lol

Inky

One Too Many
I am a fan of the K.I.S.S. system (keep it simple, stupid - or silly if you want to be nice!).

If it's a day look or causal evening, make up takes me less than 10 minutes, usually less than five (tinted moisturizer, pale shadow, dark shadow as a liner, mascara, clear brow gel, powder and lipstick -red for impact, I agree).

Hair takes practice, but hot rollers are the fastest for me (I am impatiently awaiting my hot sticks since I saw Fleur's tutorial!). I put my make up on while those cool. If really in a hurry I use a snood, head scarf or bandana and only work on my bangs. This past weekend for example, I did not want to be futzing much with my hair, so I wet set it on Thursday afternoon, knowing that a wet set lasts the longest for me. I kept it in a bandana while we drove 4 hours south for a visit with my family, slept in the rag rollers, did my hair real quick in the morning and then that night loosely pincurled it while I watched the news, then the next day it was still great. I use a satin pillow case for sleeping to help it stay better.

Hanging your clothing is better for me to keep it wrinkle free, though I am very organized (probably too much) and good about folding and keeping things tidy. I also have a large garment steamer in my bathroom for touch ups, as the iron is not always set up.

My clothes all basically coordinate as well. I have always been a big fan of separates, so I try to stick to one color palate of red/white/black, with a touch of grey and only a few patterned items (usually tops). I have acquired a few more dresses of late and though they are convenient for me, they aren't as versatile.

Really the key is create a look that is easy for you to maintain. if you have a hard time with your nails, you might consider acrylics or something like that as chanteuseCarey suggested. The color doesn't chip and they stay looking nice between fills, but there is the maintenance cost/time of fills. If I am unable to do my own manicures then i just paint them with clear or buff them lightly. Better nothing than chipped polish.

Try to keep it simple ;)

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
More tips: do a week's ironing at one time. Shine your shoes while you watch TV.

I'll tell you someone who is really organized: KittyT. I bet she'll have some tips, too.

Cricket

Practically Family
I have a curl in my hair so it is easy to fix it in the mornings within about 15 minutes. Then, I either pin it for a vintage look or I just let the wave hang if I am in a hurry. I would like to spend more time to achieve a better vintage hairsyle, but in the morning time with our 18 month old son, that ain't happening. I usually have to set my hair the night before after our son has clocked out. I am also new at vintage stuff, so I have to wake up a little earlier the next morning to comb out the curls and fix it right. One morning, I was late for work because I had dreaded poodle hair. lol

But I agree that organization can can make a look look like you spent hours on it. At my bathroom sink I have all my cold creams, oils and other beauty products ready to go. Right before bed I clean up and do whatever nail grooming I can. It pays off because the next day my skin and nails look great, and that gives me time to tackle my "poodle hair" that I still haven't mastered yet. lol

Rhian

New in Town
I tend to approach the problem by working out what the 'minimum look' is for me, i.e. the things I absolutely have to do before I leave the house in the morning.

For example, I always do my make-up, but not always with full-on eyeliner or red lippy, as I prefer a quick application of sheer colour for work. On a weekday I have one or two different pre-decided ways to apply my eyeshadow, so I never waste time experimenting - I save that for when I have more time to play with! So, I can do my make-up (foundation, powder, eyeliner, eyeshadow, mascara, lip tint) in 5-10 minutes, usually when I'm just out of the shower and having my morning cuppa.

My hair takes the longest, so I make sure I wash and set it before bed, and then in the morning I just have to brush it out. A hairnet and a silky scarf helps keep the set in place at nights, although my hair is thick and holds a curl so well that I don't always bother. Again, I stick with a set that I know will work unless it's the weekend and I'm experimenting.

A perfect vintage manicure is honestly not a requirement for me. I do a lot of crafts and long nails get in the way, so I keep them fairly short, but have a nail file in my desk to maintain a neat shape. I'm with Inky in thinking that no nail polish (or clear) looks infinitely better than chipped polish, so I paint them when I feel like it.

I don't think a vintage look has to be complicated, and once you get used to the routine it really does become second nature.

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
Looking at real photos and yearbooks worked wonders for my self esteem and I realized a lot of the expectations I put on myself "beauty-wise" weren't necessarily the way everyone looked! It was a huge sigh of relief for me!
I think it's really fun to get all dolled up with the perfect makeup and hairdo, but there's also something to be said for an understated everyday look. I think overkill on makeup looks out of place in the grocery store, for example, but looks super nice for an evening out. But maybe that's just me. I also admit I hate doing my hair and makeup,so if I find a way that's fast and easy I'll be more likely to do it. In fact, one of the things I hate about going to big events is the stress I put on myself to look "my best" which, of course, means hours of prep! I think I'm finally chilling out about that. lol

zendy

A-List Customer
When I'm at school or in the shop(almost always) I'm pretty low maintenance. Since I mostly work in metal, I usually wear homemade 40s repro overalls and and a repro vintage buttonup. I have my hair pinned up in a bandana or in a pony and usually pomp the bangs so I still maintain a vintage look. When I'm not expecting to get grubby, I go full on high maintenance. Dresses and heels. I usually don't wet set as I can't stand how it feels. So I do hot sticks in the morning. I should figure out what I'm wearing the night before, but like the other ladies said, I stick to my colors,(black, red, brown) and usually can find something in the closet to match the nails I did the night before. The only thing that never changes is my makeup. It only takes about 7 min to put on and I always do it exactly the same, minus eyeliner on days I plan be in the shop. The key really is to keep it simple without making it look simple.

The Shirt

Practically Family
For me - It's god bless the pageboy or the ponytail. Also a huge fan of mini hot rollers. By the time I get around my head I've got to take them out again. Make-up for day is very simple. Red lips and an flick of the eyeliner and I call it good. As for nails, I keep mine short and light colored. I carry those remover pads in my purse in case I have a huge chip. I'd rather be bare than chipped.

I'm high maintenance when I have the time for an evening out, but most days I do not. I think they key for me is - I enjoy my day when I feel good about how I look. If I spend an extra 10 mins acheiving that, so be it. I will sulk and try to fade into the woodwork or disappear if I feel schlumpy and gross. It's a compromise with time. Enough that I feel good, not so much that I drive everyone around me crazy. I agree with Lauren - photos revealing the everyday woman makes me feel like my look is realistic not hollywood. If you can figure out a way to get a couple days of nice looking hair out of one set - that saves tons of time.

*martini*time*

A-List Customer
I'm an in-between girl i guess. There are days (like today...ugh...rain) that i just roll out of bed, pony tail and jeans and a bunnyhug. But i've become almost like...addicted to setting my hair the night before. I sleep pretty heavy and don't usually notice my rollers or cap. And when i set my hair, it means extra sleep in the morning because i don't have to wash my hair. My usual makeup routine takes seriously 5 minutes. It's just foundation, concealer where needed and a little blush and mascara and BANG i'm done! I usually wear a sheer red gloss which is nice for day.

On the night out nights...well, that's a WHOLE other story. That's a whole day. leg shaving, and exfoliating and setting hair and all that jazz...eyeliners and primers...oh my! But i still maintain that the best look is one that doesn't appear to have taken a ton of time. A natural girl is the best! When you look at old print ads and old models of the day...they don't seem to be wearing a whole face of makeup.

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
Fleur De Guerre said:

Ok, I know what I'm going to do when I get home lol

As for my maintenance level -- it's very very low. Dressing vintage is a second nature to me so it's just a matter of picking out what I want to wear. Makeup takes me 5 minutes (concealer under the eyes, black shadow lining the eyes, mascara, eye shadow to match my outfit, and red lips). My hair is stick straight and I have ZERO hair talent so I just blow dry it straight and then stick it in pigtails. All together I take 20 minutes including the shower.

Shirin

A-List Customer
chanteuseCarey said:
II MAKE time for grooming and makeup

This pretty much sums it up. I hear a lot of " I don't have time, or, I can't find time" it all comes down to just making time for grooming/make up. The more you practice with it the faster it comes, and like Carey says, once you've become familiar with your routine, you're done in much less than it used to take.

CherryWry

One of the Regulars
In high school, I was disgustingly high maintenance. Then I went to college, stopped curling my hair, scaled way back on the make-up, and kind of got into a quick morning routine. Once I graduated college, I bobbed my hair. I can be dressed, showered, made up and out of the house in about half an hour if I have to be (and don't caffeinate myself, which gets ugly...)

Things that help me get out the door quickly while still looking pulled together: I stay on top of eyebrow maintenance--I set aside two minutes every couple days for eyebrows. I stick with simple, classic eye make up and red lipstick, and usually decide what I'm going to wear the next day the night before (and check to make sure it's clean).

I'll confess that I'm growing my hair out, which is throwing a monkey wrench into things. I haven't figured out what to do with it yet. This weekend I want to start experimenting with pin curls...could become a huge morning time-saver if I start doing them at night, could go the other way. Only time will tell.

I could care less about my fingernails, but can't stand exposing unpolished toenails.

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
HazelSmutCrunch said:
I [couldn't] care less about my fingernails, but can't stand exposing unpolished toenails.

I feel the same way. Clip, file, clean, and I'm done with my fingernails. I admire nicely polished and shaped nails on others, but a manicure lasts about a day on me.

Don't get me started on Cro-Magnon feet. It isn't hard or time-consuming to do a home pedicure: every few days, I spend about 30 seconds in the shower scraping off the calouses with a tool that looks like a hand-held vegetable grater and put balm on my feet before bed. Every few weeks, I paint my toenails. That's about four minutes per week. Everybody has four minutes a week. :)

lindylady

A-List Customer
Paisley said:
I feel the same way. Clip, file, clean, and I'm done with my fingernails. I admire nicely polished and shaped nails on others, but a manicure lasts about a day on me.

Don't get me started on Cro-Magnon feet. It isn't hard or time-consuming to do a home pedicure: every few days, I spend about 30 seconds in the shower scraping off the calouses with a tool that looks like a hand-held vegetable grater and put balm on my feet before bed. Every few weeks, I paint my toenails. That's about four minutes per week. Everybody has four minutes a week. :)

Ped Egg? :)

Viola

Call Me a Cab
I can't paint my toenails. Even leaving aside the way I seem to have recently done something completely horrid to my big toe, on my left foot, where its broken away at the base and attached to one side and not the other - which is new, and weird, and saddening - my baby toenails on both sides are too micro to paint.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner