Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Growing a beard just to wear a fedora

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hi

I grew the mustache after slicing my upper lip when shaving at college. By the time my face healed, I had a mustache. I've had it for 32 years now. I last shaved the beard off in 1985 for the wedding and in 1998 for Scout Camp.

Resistol_Start_02_sm.jpg

My beard is patchy gray, brown, and a little red. I tried dying it, but that made it look worse.

Later

Lt.Tom

Familiar Face
Ah, I wish I had your problem. I originally grew mine because it creates the illusion that I only have one chin. :D
I'll abstain from voting. I think you look fine either way.

Hoss & da Posse

One of the Regulars
Good on ya to have the option of full beard or not. My wife prefers (demands, actually) me with facial hair but my beard comes in too thin for my liking. I've kept a fairly close cropped moustache/goatee for twenty years now and was recently inspired by Ben Kingsley (portraying George Melies) in the Martin Scorcese film Hugo to grow it out a bit...We'll see how it looks in a few more weeks but this is what I'm going for:

ben-kingsley-as-georges-melies-in-martin-scorseses-hugo-cabret6.jpg

and the original:
georges-melies-old.jpg

sulla

One of the Regulars
Sorry, back in - I didn't grow a beard for a fedora, but I did grow a beard last fall to wear my bowler... and the rest of my Victorian outfit.

Ignore the anachronistic glasses. Oh and car. :p

IMAG0146-1.jpg
IMAG0161-1.jpg

hal20111.jpg

Orangegrad

Practically Family
Sulla - love the entire outfit (even with specs and car). I have not gotten into period clothing yet, but have been thinking about it recently. My wife, however, might wonder about the clothing part. She's ok with the hats.

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
If my follicles could actually crank it out, I'd grow this type of beard and wear it forever:
Nickolas2-1.jpg
Hi Marc

I'm kind of working on that one, but my jaw isn't really thin enough having more of an Otto Von Bismark face than a Wilhelm II / George V / Tsar Nicky face. The wife doesn't like the curl on the end of the mustache and I get the whole "You look stupid" thing.

Later

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
As I mentioned a few posts back, here was my inspiration:

soames004_small.jpg

My beard has never been that dark, but then my hair is lighter anyway.

Gromulus

Practically Family
I also think you look fine either with or without tht beard. Yours is fairly full and compliments your face so I also vote to keep it. I have had a moustache since I was 16 years old but never looked good in a beard, particularly since I have a couple of bald spots near the chin area. I can grow one up to my eyebrows but the "less than full" look on my chin prevents me from having one. I admit I do not like men with thin, scraggly beards. I have to fight my inclination to recommend that they shave.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy