Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Growing a beard just to wear a fedora

mdove

Familiar Face
HC, I remember an episode of Law and Order in which LT Van Buren says something to Lupo and Bernard about their beards and how they might look better without them (a not so gentle hint to get rid of the beards). Next episode Cyrus and Kevin were clean shaven.
dhermann, she who must be obeyed.....Rumpole of the Bailey.

Duper

Practically Family
As I was considering buying a hat with a tall, straight crown (I ended up with this OR pictured below), some Loungers suggested I grow my beard as a way of filling out my (narrow and long) face. I hadn't grown a beard in many years, and was a bit dismayed by all the white/gray that has taken over. I've kept the beard for around two months now, and do agree that it fills out my face a bit. I'll probably shave it off when spring arrives.

Anyone else grow a beard just to wear larger hats?

Andy with beard
DSCN1152-1-1.jpg

Andy without
panamastraw-1.jpg

Looks good either way Andy. I always thought there was a vary large ratio of bearded hat wearers in the FL. I have had a beard most of my adult life and my wife says she prefers the goatee I sport now to a full face beard.

Sometimes when I wear my Silverbelly CD I think the large brim and taller crown may be just a bit too much. My fawn colour and bluegrass green do not have the same affect. So maybe colour fills me out a bit.

My wife also says I'm tall enough too make the silverbelly CD work. I'm 6 ft 175 lbs and have a thin face. I find when you see yourself in a mirror it is not quite the same as a photograph, especially if is taken from a bit of distance.

Mystic

Practically Family
Beard looks good !!

I have had some sort of facial hair for over 40 years.

I first grew a mustache in the late 60's while in the military, just because the older officers hated it.
Let it grow longer after 2 years in Army. Graduated to full beard in early 80's. Kept a clean cut neatly trimmed beard (bought a beard trimmer)ever since. In the past 2 years have gone to a mustache and close cut goatee.
It's all white now....but, so is the hair on my head.

I think a mustache and goatee would look great on you. Buy a beard trimmer and experiment with different widths and lengths.

Sam Craig

One Too Many
I've started telling people I'm 10 years older than I really am, just so some of them will actually say ... You don't look that old!

I don't think shaving will help me

I like your beard

Sam

JimWagner

Practically Family
Andy - with or without looks fine to me. You do look older with it, but as long as that's ok with you then stick with it. It certainly takes longer to grow a beard than to cut it off ;-)

For myself, I prefer a beard, my wife prefers me with one, and I've had one most of my adult life with brief periods without.With my shorter, rounder face I think I look better with one when wearing a hat.

I Adore Film Noir

A-List Customer
Here's a lady's opinion:

I think the beard gives your face balance while wearing your fedora and I like it.
And the bit of a frown you've got going on doesn't hurt, either :).

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
A beard, especially a gray one, is going to make the wearer look older.

Andy, I think you look good either way. What I have noticed, regarding myself, anyway, is that a beard looks better with a cowboy/western hat. On me, fedoras and beards don't go together as well. Wide brimmed, or 'cowboy-style' fedoras work better with beards, in my humble opinion.

I do like your top picture better than your bottom picture, fwiw.

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
A beard, especially a gray one, is going to make the wearer look older.

Andy, I think you look good either way. What I have noticed, regarding myself, anyway, is that a beard looks better with a cowboy/western hat. On me, fedoras and beards don't go together as well. Wide brimmed, or 'cowboy-style' fedoras work better with beards, in my humble opinion.

I do like your top picture better than your bottom picture, fwiw.

Hi Scotty

That may explain my common purchase of fedoras with a 2 5/8 or 2 3/4 inch brim instead of 2 3/8.

later

Txmason

Familiar Face
I like it Andy both ways with and without your beard! Without your beard you do look younger! But handsome either way!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy