Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Guess I’m hooked- New Baldwin just arrived!

Serial Hero

A-List Customer
I just ordered a 142 Baldwin in steel gray with a 2 1/2” brim from felthats.com http://www.felthats.com/Miller_Felt_Hats/Miller_felt_hats_1.htm .

After wearing my AB pretty much every day since I received it on January 3rd, I decided I had to have another hat (You know, to go with the cloths that don’t look good with a brown hat).

So after looking around different hat sites and doing research on the FL, I went with the Baldwin. I’m sure it can’t compare to the AB but I was looking for something a little cheaper, and it had to be fur.

ledsled

One of the Regulars
start a new self-help group!

That hat is a fine choice. I like the teardrop top.

I have decided I am a hopeless cause. Maybe we should start a "HA" group here (hats anonymous).

MG-B

New in Town
You say “affliction” and I say “addiction”…

Back when I was collecting briar pipes (yes, there are other things to fixate on), we would refer to "P.A.D" -- Pipe Acquisition Disease. A similar disease seems to occur here and presents the opportunity to create a number of acronyms. Here's a few:

HAD -- Hat Acquisition Disease or better yet,
FAD -- Fedora Acquisition Disease

Many of us are SAD -- Stratoliner Acquisition Disease

For those of us with summer hats in mind:
MAD -- Montecristi Acquisition Disease, or more specifically for those of us expecting our new Panama Bob hat:
P-BAD.

Finally, for those hoping for a custom hat from Art as a gift for father's day:
DAD - Designed by Art Disease!

It does appear that one can suffer from many of these ailments at the same time. I seem to have all of them! There's no known cure, just temporary relief and periodic long-term satisfaction.

I'm sure this is just the tip of the iceberg for acronyms. I'd love to see some additions to this brief list.

WEEGEE

Practically Family
Great Acronyms

This is a great addiction problem for me "DAD" . Hats i thought once as

keepers are but hats in storage...once you go Art you never go back.:eusa_clap

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
The Baldwin is great

Serial Hero said:
I just ordered a 142 Baldwin in steel gray with a 2 1/2” brim from felthats.com http://www.felthats.com/Miller_Felt_Hats/Miller_felt_hats_1.htm .

So after looking around different hat sites and doing research on the FL, I went with the Baldwin. I’m sure it can’t compare to the AB but I was looking for something a little cheaper, and it had to be fur.

You'll like the Baldwin, I think, Hero. I have that hat, in steel gray. It looks very sharp, and is one of the best modern non-custom dress hats I've encountered. I just wouldn't put it through as much stress as the AB!
NB

NewMexExpat

One of the Regulars
Probably an obvious answer, but.....

Serial Hero said:

After wearing my AB ...

I’m sure it can’t compare to the AB ...

Nice looking hat. I absolutely love the shape of the Miller Baldwin and Douglas.

But I'm a little lost............ what's an "AB"? [huh]

Thanks,

- Mark

Serial Hero

A-List Customer
Tony in Tarzana said:
Ever see the Star Trek (original series) episode "The Trouble with Tribbles"? Replace the tribbles with hats and you have some idea. Once you get that second hat, it's all downhill. ;)
That’s what I was afraid of.

But any pink or purple ones show up in my closet, and I’m done.

Hoping to hear some feedback once you have worn your new Miller.
I should have it by the end of next week. Then I’ll post a report and some pics.

Jake Sullivan

One of the Regulars
I can relate to the affliction, or addiction either way just keep buying and buying***Stop the Insanity*** no nevermind stop the baseball caps tilted to the side. Sorry split personality coming out there.lol

Serial Hero

A-List Customer
Well, my new Baldwin just arrived!

Very nice (not as nice as the AB, but still very nice). I'll have to wait till I get home to try it on, no mirrors here.

I do have a question though. It has a cord coming out from under the ribbon (I think to keep the hat from blowing away), and a little feather. Any tips on removing these? They’re just not my style. That cored looks like something FDR or Truman would have had on their hats.

-SH-

Snrbfshn

A-List Customer
Yank the feather...

It may be held in place with a stitch, or a spot of glue. Some are just stuck into the ribbon. But I'd think twice about removing the wind trolley. It connotes a higher quality hat, and in my opinion, reflects well on its wearer. It's also a great conversation accent, since many don't know its purpose. If you need a more casual hat, do what I do - buy another one! No such thing as too many, ya know.

adamgottschalk

A-List Customer
Snrbfshn said:
It may be held in place with a stitch, or a spot of glue. Some are just stuck into the ribbon. But I'd think twice about removing the wind trolley. It connotes a higher quality hat, and in my opinion, reflects well on its wearer. It's also a great conversation accent, since many don't know its purpose. If you need a more casual hat, do what I do - buy another one! No such thing as too many, ya know.
Agreed on the wind trolley. The feather of course can go. But the wind trolley is a sign of a nice hat, not seen much on modern production hats. In my eyes, it separates an okay hat from a really classy one.

Serial Hero

A-List Customer
Joel Tunnah said:
As an astute gentleman once said over at COW:
"This thread is useless without pictures!"

;)
I’ll take some this weekend.:fedora:

As for the wind trolley? When I got home last night, I got jumpy waiting for replies and snipped it off with a pair of scissors.:eusa_doh:

What do you attach the other end to anyways?

Jake Sullivan

One of the Regulars
Learn something new everyday

I would have probably done the same thing for lack of information. I do not even know what a wind trolley looks like, but apparently it is a sign of a quality hat. Great info for future use. Don't beat your self up.......... the pro's in here can help you repair it if you wish, I am of little help due to my hat wearer infancy.

Good luck
Jake

Serial Hero

A-List Customer
Maybe I can fish it out of the dumpster when I get home from work.:eusa_doh:

Maybe I should rename this thread, "How to turn a quality hat into an average hat, in two easy steps":(

The wind trolley is/was an elastic cored that attached under the ribbon, and had a little loop on the other end.

Jake Sullivan

One of the Regulars
Oh boy, already in the dumpster? I think the name of the thread should be .." You won't believe the dedication I have to save a hat's prestige" by Dumpster Diver. :eusa_clap If you pull that off by rescuing the original trolley you would be a "HEROOOOO" in my book. Good Luck my friend my fingers are crossed for you. and thanks for the info, I remember seeing a few trolleys in old photo's come to think of.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot