Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

2007 Cavanagh Park Avenue Review

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
A Caveat: For this review, I was interested to see what HATCO had done with the new Cavanagh line, but very hesitant at the same time. After all the research I’ve done on John Cavanagh and his contributions to the hat-making industry, I feel just a little protective of the name. I decided to jump in with both feet and see the latest offering. What follows is my opinion only, and no one else’s.

The Review:

2007 marks the rebirth of the Cavanagh name as a hat brand, brought back to us from the retail afterlife by HATCO. It’s exhilarating to see the Cavanagh name come back, but it remains to be seen what how successful it will be in the marketplace. Without having perused any of HATCO’s marketing material for Cavanagh, it’s hard to tell how they will differentiate it from their other brands, if at all.

The hat under review is the “Park Avenue,” HATCO’s top of the line Cavanagh. The itself name harkens back to Cavanagh’s exclusive store at 247 Park Avenue in New York City.

For the photos, I did not alter the shape of the hat as it came out of the box. What you see is what you get, and I’ll let the photos speak for themselves.

Park_Avenue_1.jpg

Park_Avenue_2.jpg

The felt is very nice for a production hat. Touted as “Genuine Beaver” (does that mean 100%?), it has a soft, even finish, smooth but with a short nap that gives it a hint of luxury. The crown has a thumpable firmness to it, and can be shaped, grudgingly, by hand. A little steam would work better, though. The brim, however, has very little stiffener, and can easily develop a wavy appearance.

The brim has a dimensional cut, 2 ¬?‚Äù front and back, 2 ¬º‚Äù on each side. It has been flanged into a downturned brim with no snap, so anyone wanting to flip up the back will have to get the brim reflanged.

The black sweatband is 1 5/8” wide soft leather, either roan or calfskin, and one of the nicer sweatbands I have seen on a modern production hat. The Cavanagh name is stamped onto the left side in gold, and “Genuine Beaver” is stamped onto the front, along with the ubiquitous gold line along the top edge that’s to be expected on modern hats.

Park_Avenue_4.jpg

The liner is white, with champagne-colored piping around the tip. I may be wrong , but the black, and perhaps the red, parts of the artwork appear to have been applied using the sublimation process, a relatively inexpensive method where the art is printed on paper and transferred to the liner tip. The effect looks more like the artwork was photocopied onto the cloth than actually printed, giving a washed out look to the black lines, and results in a loss of fineness of detail. The gray and gold paint were applied as a separate process, perhaps by silkscreen. The overall look mimics that of the time-honored Cavanagh liner, but is more of an imitation than a continuation. The liner is spot-glued into the hat, not sewn. Thankfully, there is no plastic liner tip protector.

Park_Avenue_3.jpg

I don’t find the block of the hat that appealing. My general opinion of the aesthetics of the hat is colored by the fact that the hat is not a style I prefer. The crown is low, only 5” when punched out to an open crown. It comes from the factory with a shallow center dent and front pinches. Because the crown is so short and tapered, it isn’t helped a lot by giving it a diamond crease or a C-crown.

Park_Avenue_5.jpg

It has a 9-ligne (about 13/16”), black, grosgrain ribbon. While the bow is nicely done, the ribbon is tacked is in six places with monofilament line, smackdab in the middle of the ribbon, rather than on the edges where it should be.

The original Cavanagh Hats included every variety of hat imaginable, and subsequently, the name has become with synonymous with quality and class. One would naturally expect a newly-reborn Cavanagh to exude formality and class. For the flagship of the Cavanagh line, however, the Park Avenue just seems too casual, not dressy enough to reflect the Cavanagh name. To me, it has more of the appearance of a gussied-up Aussie Outback hat.

Then again, maybe by current standards this is a very dressy and formal hat, and I’m just hopelessly outdated.

Kudos to HATCO for bringing back one of the most-honored names in hats. I’d like to see them do more to differentiate the Cavanagh line from their other brands, and I’d prefer to see them go more formal and traditional, but only time will tell whether this revival will be long lasting or short lived.

Brad

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
Yep, scotrace, I know what you're thinking. We're all thinking it.
But, in case anyone is really, really wanting one, it's anywhere between $300 to $400, unless you have connections in Texas.;)

Brad

carter

I'll Lock Up
Brad, That is an extremely fair review IMHO.

I should also point out that HATCO is not the only vendor selling a Genuine Beaver hat for well over $300.00.

My advice is, "For that much dinero, unless you're in a big hurry, order a hat from a custom hatmaker who actually makes the hat from start to finish."

bolthead

My Mail is Forwarded Here
carter said:
Brad, That is an extremely fair review IMHO.

I should also point out that HATCO is not the only vendor selling a Genuine Beaver hat for well over $300.00.

My advice is, "For that much dinero, unless you're in a big hurry, order a hat from a custom hatmaker who actually makes the hat from start to finish."
Carter, you said a mouthful my friend. :D

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Tho I've been on the Lounge for almost a year now, I remain very much a light weight as far as hats are concerned. I got my nice Disney on Ebay a few months ago, and my Stetson at Bencraft, and that's about it. But I think this is one of the most worthwhile postings I've seen on this website in a long time. Highly informative, and solidly authoritative. It's this kind of comment that will help bring back quality hat making, and buying. Thanks for a very edifying contribution.

BobC

Cavanagh Park Avenue

I had looked at this hat for quite a while and then decided it was a lot of cash for just an ok hat. Later, I found this lounge and from there Art Fawcett's website and his hats. I must say there is no comparison betweeen the two. I don't own one (or more if my wife isn't standing over my shoulder) of Art's hats yet, but I'm saying that I will.

Bob

duggap

Banned
Why would they make the brim turned down all around. How un-fedoraish, if that is a word. It looks like they are trying to compete with some of Akubra's Australian style hats. Sorry, but I don't really like that one. I would be interested in seeing something more traditional for dress hats. Nice review Brad and thanks.:)

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
Thanks for the excellent review, Brad!

Like you, I was excited when I heard that the Cavanagh name was to be resurrected for hats. It was still in use for wool caps of varous types. I was disappointed to see that the four "felt" hats listed on The Fedora Store's web site look remarkably similar to each other. Two are "Luxury Finish", one is "Fur Felt" and the fourth, the Park Avenue, is listed as 100% Beaver Felt.

I think it also has more than a passing resemblence to the "Pure Beaver Indy" made by the Milano Hat Company. At least it's $100 cheaper! ;)

IndyBeaverhat.jpg

I certainly agree that the top of the line Cavanagh ought to be a bit dressier.

Speaking of Hatco, it's been a while since we heard from HATCO. I wonder if he's still lurking?

Cheers,
Tom

Rick Blaine

Thank you Mr. Bowers for that review. According to thefedorastore.com's website this is a 100% Beaver hat, coming in at about $400 retail... sheesh... here is another
UX88-TIMES-SQUARE-2.jpg

the "Times Square, fur felt and it comes in right at $100. I wonder what the finish is like?

fedoralover

Call Me a Cab
The fedoralounge now has over 7000 members and at least that many if not more than that number of lurkers. If anyone at Hatco ever visited this site and we know at least one did for a while, and if they could read and weren't blind, they would know what the majority of people wearing fedora's nowadays are looking for.

Look at all the postings of Art's fedora's that he sells, do any of them look like this new Cavanagh? Do any of the fedora's selling on ebay for over 200 dollars look like this Cavanagh?

They would do themselves a favor by doing a little market research before them try to sell a hat as pathetic as this one.

Maybe they should be given a new name, something like "CrapCo" would be more fitting.

fedoralover

ideaguy

One Too Many
Brad- thanks for the honest and quite telling review; I see that you've opened more than a few eyes to the difference between a custom hat
and one off the shelf. I've had several older Cavanagh's. liked them very much, the finish was fine. This re-start could be the finish once again for
Cavanagh; you can't go home again...
best wishes to Art Fawcett, and those of you who are flush enough to
even look at a Cavanagh-please enjoy the website of Arts'.

Bud-n-Texas

Practically Family
Excellent Brad

This is the type post, I feel more of us are yearning for. A post that hearkens days of old. There are several Lounge members that have gone silent or just gone as of late. We lost the expertise of many knowledgeable hatters about a year ago. Since then, the void has been filled with a plethora of "Oh you look so good in that hat", type post. Very P.C., but tremendously lacking in substantive information. Lets hope you will inspire those that have the knowledge, to share with all who desire to be taught and informed.

:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Bud-n-Texas

Practically Family
As for the hat that is the topic

I feel that Hatco, while targeting the uninformed masses, has created another throw away item for our throw away society. Tis a shame to attach the Cavenaugh name to such run of the mill hat. Just my 2 cents.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo