Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Guilty of collecting....?

jeep44

One of the Regulars
I've been a serial collector, too. I get infatuated with something, get one of it, start reading and studying everything I can about it,and can think of nothing else, until I accumulate as much as I can of it. Then I gradually lose interest,and eventually become interested in something else.
Years ago, I became interested in British Motorcycles,after buying a basket case 650 Triumph from a co-worker. This blossomed into a full-blown obsession, and at one point,had 10 fully restored and functional BritBikes in my garage. I would bring them home in pieces,shove them into a corner, and slowly start to restore it. When my wife became aware of the fact that there was another bike in the garage,I could truthfully say that "I had that for a long time".
When I acquired a 1944 BSA military Dispatch Rider motorcycle, I thought it might be fun to get a uniform to wear while riding it. This turned into another obsession, and I ended up with a vast assortment of British and American WW2 uniforms , weapons,and webgear. I branched off from militaria a bit, and searched out a longtime want-a WW2 Willys jeep. Of course one of anything is never enough for me, so I eventually brought home a pair of WW2 Dodge Weapons Carriers,too.
A lifelong interest in things Japanese led to me collecting Japanese Military Officer's and NCO swords-some thirty or so until my interest waned.
A move to a place with some acreage led to an interest in farming-so I started collecting vintage farm tractors-I had five or six for a while,until I sold a few .
Lately, I started Civil War reenacting, and as usual, had to start collecting something-Civil War militaria. I've gathered up a nice collection of CW tin US canteens, rifles, muskets,swords,and so on. My interest in this has flagged a bit,and I'm currently in a collecting lull. I'm sure something else will come along soon.

moustache

Practically Family
Italian fountain pens(Omas,Stipula,Visconti)
Classical compact discs
Borsalino fedoras
Allen Edmonds shoes
moustache combs and wax

JD

nobodyspecial

Practically Family
Most of my collecting dates back to the Carter administration.
Vintage backpacking equipment, mostly packs, but also tents, sleeping bags and some clothing. I could hit the trails and be really styling if it were 1975.
Backpacker, Wilderness Camping and Backpacking Journal magazines.
Catalogs by those who made the above and advertised in the above (I've had to buy these back on ebay as I threw out my originals)
Backpacking stoves and cookware - I could feed a small army or two.
Books regarding the above.
Only 3 bicycles - but for more space in the garage I would have more.

I accumulate records to play on the stereo in my garage - still too small to call a collection. Denial is a river in Africa.

OK: from the top!
  1. Model & toy aircraft, especially depicting an A-10 Warthog, A-6 Intruder, B-52 "StratoPig", or anything bearing the "North Star" of the 318th FIS on its tail
  2. Model warships, primarily WWII, battleships and carriers
  3. Models of vehicles from favorite films
  4. Military miniatures, particularly the Axis & Allies Miniatures line
  5. Plush sharks
  6. Guns (eventually)
  7. Garfield stuff

Y'all asked...

Matt Crunk

One Too Many
I collect a lot of things. Musical Instruments are one of my passions. Upwards of 30 at last count.

Also collect books, magazines, music, movies (film noir in particular), vintage clothing. I have a couple of vintage automobiles and boats.

Associated with my occupation, I collect vintage tattoo equipment and curiosities from around the world. My most prized possession from that being an original WWII-era "Jonsey" tattoo machine. I actually have a museum display set up in my shop for my clients to enjoy.

-MC

pigeon toe

One Too Many
I would be an avid collector, but being that I'm a college student living in cramped quarters and moving to a new apartment every year, it's just not possible!

The only thing I truly collect is vintage clothing, lingerie, shoes, and stockings. I can always make room for those things!

I would love to have the money and space to collect Depression glass vanity items though. I have one powder jar with a poodle on top and I absolutely love it, however I'm afraid to buy anymore glass because of the chance it'll get broken while moving.

Give me two more years and I'll be like the rest of you pack rats! :)

mikepara

Practically Family
Oh good! It's not just me then.
I keep seeing things and think Ooo that'll make a great collection. Then diving in headfirst and getting as many as I can until I get bored with it.

I've sold or swapped loads of stuff and still have a room full of partial collections... Military badges, Prints, Books & Photo postcards of particular regiments, WRAF books and photos, WWI German navy pictures, Submarine books, 8th AAF books, Tons of Parachuting books, Rugby, Football & Cricket books, Magazines by the ton.
I've just about everything on the 60's Prisoner show and every fanzine ever written about Kate Bush.

The only collection I've ever regretted selling and I'm now rebuilding is British Army Irish Regiment's hats. Caubeens and dress hats.

Foofoogal

Banned
I am a lifelong collector who had to become a dealer.

As a small child I collected TV guide magazines and postcards. Still have the postcards but alas my mom made me throw away the TV guides.:eusa_doh:

I am most definitely a serial collector (glad to have a name for it.) I get fascinated by something and go nuts about it. It is the treasure hunter in me. Love to find dirty stuff and bring it back to life and dig in boxes. I have found stuff everywhere and I mean everywhere including a chicken coop where I found boxes of lovely glass. Now why would anyone store glass in a chicken coop.
I consistently collect carnival glass mostly Northwood but have collected dolls, milk glass, compacts, Art Deco, art glass, linens especially tablecloths.
Go bananas especially still at Christmas for sequined aprons especially sheer ones and little Christmas children figurines like Lefton.
Since I just painted my kitchen a Jadeite green I feel a huge need for yellow and green vintage kitchen stuff coming on and currently trying to figure out if I want dotted yellow or dotted swiss white frilly curtains. Decisions, decisions.
I feel so much better about my collecting though after I took a financial class and they told me that all my stuff was assets and not liabilities as they generally go up in value. Yeah. ;) Honey said uh huh..........lol

Daisy, Pez collectibles can be worth huge amounts of money as is the ones Belly Tank mentioned. His brother needs to write a book on his lamps sounds like.
If it brings people joy and doesn't hurt anyone I say why not.

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
I wish I had saved the stuff I had as a kid. :eusa_doh:
Stuff like the Aurora plastic models of movie monsters I bought for a dollar, are now worth thousands if mint in the unopened box.

Elaina

One Too Many
I collect antique sewing machines and notions.

I passed the vintage ideas on that when I was 5 and my mom bought a treadle. When I was given my own for Christmas by my husband, I started collecting the accessories. I don't really need the machines any longer, but I have a bone needle from about 700 and pins and a pin cushion from the late 1600's. Unfortunately, that also follows that I own some clothing that bypassed the vintage stage, and have several pieces from the 1800's. The rest of it is Victorian sewing aids, like the third hands, baskets, thread, chatelaines and other odds and ends (and yes, they all work, and I use the majority of them for what they were designed for.) The newest thing I own is a 1929 button holer, accessory wise and a 1955 Bullet style sewing machine (aptly named BiGUM for Big green ugly machine.)

What I really want to collect is shoes. Lots of them.

Nathan Dodge

One Too Many
Maj.Nick Danger said:
Stuff like the Aurora plastic models of movie monsters I bought for a dollar, are now worth thousands if mint in the unopened box.

Sometimes I think that about all of those Star Trek and Star Wars toys I had as a kid and the money they'd be worth now, but what made those things special for me were the memories of playing with my childhood friends, making up our own plots and characters. Sure they weren't brilliant, but we had fun doing it. Sure, the stuff goes for big money now, but to me collectors who merely collect and have no sentimental attachment to those things are missing out on the greatest aspect of having things to begin with.

BTW, I do still have my Navarone playset with the box, but it's clearly been out in the sun and there is definitely "battle damage" on the toy itself, not to mention all of those M.IA. toy soldiers, which I found many years later in my friend's backyard...

Tommy Fedora

One of the Regulars
As an avid outdoorsman I had dreams of going to Africa on a safari type trip. This started me buying, and now collecting, 1st edition vintage books written by men who hunted africa from the late 1800's to about 1950. Quite revealing how the natural world was conquered in the 19th century.
I also collect, and of course use, vintage bamboo fly rods.

Elaina

One Too Many
Maj.Nick Danger said:
700? As in 700 A.D.? And it still works? That's cool. :)

It probably would if I wasn't paranoid about breaking it. I got it years and years ago when I was dating, although it needs to go to a museum. Now it's locked in the treadle in my drawer all my other stuff is in that I'm scared to pull out and show people.

Absinthe_1900

One Too Many
Maj.Nick Danger said:

A little blast from Aurora's past. (Circa 1950s)

IMG_1105copy.jpg

IMG_1106copy.jpg

The Monster kits are rare, but there are a number of Aurora kit's that even harder to find, such as the first Brooklyn, U-Ma-Kits.

Miss_Bella_Hell

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I really WANT to start a Heywood Wakefield collection. Someone on Long Island Craigslist was GIVING AWAY a dresser. I was too late though, it was already gone. :(

hotrod_elf

A-List Customer
Ice crushers

I collect atomic rocket ice crushers. I have to find them at a store not on ebay(that too easy). That rule also limits just how many I have. If ebay was allowed I would have over 50 on them and no space.

dakotanorth

Practically Family
Collectors Anonymous- well, ok, you know my name.

I think, for the most part, I am a reformed serial collector.
I bought up vintage clothing whenever I found it, just so long as I could fit into it. This was also during the time when the thrift stores in Indiana were paying out- they have completely dried up over the past 5 years.
Then I moved! Packing, oh, 40 or 50 "Kinko's" boxes was insane, plus going through things and realizing I either A. Couldn't recall the last time (if any) I had worn it or B. Didn't realize I actually owned it.
Nowadays, I _wear_ vintage clothing, not collect it. My suits, pants, and shirts quantities have been cut in half. The one exception is, I still *Collect* gabardine jackets. I have several I absolutely could NEVER replace if I sold them....

dostacos

Practically Family
mostly ex wives:eek: :D

Indiana Jones props, cameras, LOTS of cameras and BEAVERS {Beaver Patrol Woodbadge W4 44 93}

Jeanie collects MOOSE, anything Moose, one year I got her a stuffed head moose, I thought she was going to have a seizure she was laughing so hard. Oh it is a puppet stuffed, not a real moose head that was stuffed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy