Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Guilty of collecting....?

kysaddletramp

New in Town
collecting is a disease and there's no known cure

I'm a book collector, can't seem to stop. Also love those old cast iron toys, especially the horse drawn vehicles, my specialty.
Old tractors..........too much work but fun.

KeyGrip

A-List Customer
I've been collecting knives since I was eleven. Before that it was rocks and whatever interesting things I would find during the day. Recently I got turned on to flashlights (yes, flashlights) and have accumulated a small collection. Also, items of pinstriped clothing seem to end up in my room with little to no explanation. I am blessed with a love of utility that keeps me from collecting things that have no use outside of being part of a collection. Perhaps there is time for that later in life, but not during college. I'll post pictures eventually.

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
Huge Snoopy collector. I started a few years ago and have completely run out of room. I hate that I have to put some of it into storage.

Also collect DVD's - have really grown my classic DVD collection in the past few years.

And books...oh my, the books! Hubby and I both collect books, so our basement is lined with bookshelves! (and I dread the day we move!)

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
I'm more of an accumulator, too. But I come by it honestly. I have boxes and boxes and boxes of old family stuff. Probably 2,000 or 3,000 letters, going back the the 1850's, and at least 1,000 photos going back that far as well. I recently found a blue velvet locket with a lock of my great grandmother's hair, from 1868. I also found a receipt for CARPET, from 1891! NOBODY threw anything away for 150 years! Oy!

Snookie

Practically Family
Feraud said:
I would love to see you collection.
You ought to start a matchbook thread.

Hear hear! I'd like to see it too.

That's a smart collection. Very small. I used to collect postcards, thought about starting again. Also small. I'm not allowed to collect much just for the sake of it.

I guess I collect vintage patterns. I tend to think of them as tools, but honestly, if I'm not using all of them, it's a collection.

I guess I also collect vintage dance footage, both buying movies and bootleg footage. But most of it's available on YouTube, these days.

ShooShooBaby

One Too Many
Snookie said:
I guess I also collect vintage dance footage, both buying movies and bootleg footage. But most of it's available on YouTube, these days.

that's so true. it really takes the thrill out of it - although youtube is nice for watch clips over and over again... my vhs tapes are definitely in poorer quality than they were 8 years ago and many of the clips were crap to begin with.

wait... so why am i whining about the availability of footage online?? lol

as for my collections... i collect a little of everything, i guess. i move a lot and already have WAY too much stuff so i'm trying not to buy more! i do like to buy old photographs of people i don't know, stuff relating to vintage fashion, and aqua "amish"-pattern and snowflake pattern pyrex and other kitchen stuff in the same shade! i've been stockpiling vintage shoes and clothing for years but have been selling it off lately. no point in having it all rot away in my closets and trunk when someone could be enjoying it, i guess. i really have too much to actually get to enjoy!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy