Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Guitars

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
And here's my electric
IMG_2925.jpg

IMG_2926.jpg

Silver Dollar

Practically Family
There are so many great instruments here. I used to own about 30 guitars at one point but I got rid of a whole bunch of them after a hurricane when I lived in Florida. I couldn't evacuate with all of them and I was tired of worrying about them and picturing them all busted up when I got back home. I only kept what I knew I couldn't sell.

This is what I'm playing now. I just put on some heavier gauge strings (.014 to .056), fiddled with the action again and soldered a loose wire in the patch cord. The ax now sounds like it was made to sound.
DSC00018.jpg

DSC00034.jpg

DSC000402.jpg

You can't help but love that New York Art Deco style.

TheModernLife

New in Town
Forgot about this thread! In addition to my telecaster with the Bigsby this is my main guitar:

SG.jpg

The tone and action on it are just perfect.

My bass:
Mustang.jpg

I also found a bass just like this on the street a few weeks ago!
280139141957-6.jpg

Silver Dollar

Practically Family
When I was a kid back in the 60's, I really wanted a red LP SG. I don't know if the heavy strings I use would work on that model. I tried heavy strings on a Strat and almost destroyed the neck. Most guitars I really like to play have necks like baseball bats. I don't mind heavy strings since I used to be a bass player too. I've got a 1960 Fender Jazz reissue, a 1965 Hofner violin bass and a fretless bass made from a 51 Epiphone Deluxe body and a hand carved teak wood neck. This thing is a real weirdy but is totally cool looking. It plays great as well.

DAJE

One of the Regulars
Hagstrom Viking

hag01.jpg

It's a modern one; vintage is out of my price range, especially in Australia where all gear prices are insanely inflated. The pickups are replacements (Bill Lawrence) and the whole thing cost very little, far less than most guitarists would spend, which I'm kind of proud of. Especially since everyone who tries it is highly impressed.

My acoustics are older, a 70s EKO and a 1981 Takamine, and I have a small circa-1970 Australian-made valve amp with an 8-inch speaker that's great for recording. I used to own a genuine early 60s JMI Vox AC30, but sold it because I ended up paying much more for repairs to keep it running than it cost me in the first place...

Edward

Bartender
Those Hagstroms are really nice. I have a soft spot for the Viking models - I'd love to have one of thed ones with the Fender Stratocaster-style headstock, as played by Elvis during the 68 Special....

Silver Dollar said:

Gorgeous - wish I could afford one of these, but alas way out of my price range....

Silver Dollar said:
When I was a kid back in the 60's, I really wanted a red LP SG. I don't know if the heavy strings I use would work on that model. I tried heavy strings on a Strat and almost destroyed the neck. Most guitars I really like to play have necks like baseball bats.

Jinkies, if you damaged a Strat neck with your strings, they'd likely rip the neck clean off a little SG!! lol I'd recommend trying out the Jeff Beck Signature Strats, those have a hefty neck to them. I know Brian May's original Red Special had a neck that Tony Iommi described as being "like a tree trunk", but whether the widely available repros of same do too I don't know.

Silver Dollar

Practically Family
Oh yeah ! I tried out one of the Jeff Beck Strats and I really loved that neck. I had a custom shop Strat made with one of those necks and it held up extremely well. I sold that Strat to get something I wanted more. It was a blonde Gibson ES 355 reissue. It beat the Strat hands down. I still have it and I won't get rid of it. As far as the price on the D'Angelico, since it's been refretted, refinished and repaired, the price was fairly affordable.

Canadave

One Too Many
Dinerman said:
Found this cheapo Hagstrom built "Espana" guitar at an estate sale for $25 today. Sounds amazingly good for what it is.

Great find...congrats!

(Your dad is super-cool dude. Amazing pics...love the one of the fiddler wearing the Open Road.)

BeauxArtStudent

New in Town
I don't have access to my guitars right now as I'm at school but here they are:

2004 Jackson USA Custom Shop KV2 in black
2006 Jackson USA Custom Shop RR1 in Alpine White with Black Pinstripes
2008 ESP Custom Shop Alexi Laiho signature in limited edition black and pink. Mine's number 73 out of 100 ever made.
And finally, my Gibson SG in limited edition teal flip flop blue made in 2002.
Here are stock pics of everything except the SG in the same order as stated above:
kv1_2.jpg

jacksonRR1-wht.jpg

alexi_laiho_ps.jpg

dogrocketp

One of the Regulars
Edward, If you want an arch top, look at the various Loar guitars. I believe they're the best buy for the dollar right now, especially used. They are very, very good guitars. This weekend is my re-issue D'aquisto Avant Garde. I'm playing swing with the "Swingtime Big Band in Washington, DC. It's always a thrill to play jazz on a non-cutaway arch top guitar! I'll see if I can download a pic soon.

Mr Badger

Practically Family
Hey Dinerman, that's a nice looking tenor you're building! I've been getting into Three Cats & The Fiddle lately, and that guitar's "Killin' Jive"!

I'm a lefty so choice has never been that wide for me, here's my motley crew:

37654_10150227067760471_725635470_13545293_2768043_n.jpg

My 1990 Rickenbacker 370/12 with Vox AC15 (with the blue speaker!)...

20869_10150209609470471_725635470_13043040_7325956_n.jpg

Danelectro U2 reissue in lovely 'snot green'...

28707_10150197205275471_725635470_12661318_1655792_n.jpg

Eastwood Country Gent copy (hey, who can afford $3,000 for a real Gretsch lefty?) and Indian-made Ad Astra amp, circa 1966, w/custom speaker cab...

n725635470_5060924_1220.jpg

Mid-1990s MIJ Tele, self-relic'd w/new Seymour Duncan pickups, tuners & wiring - AKA The Tennecaster - and my customised Fender Champion 600 w/custom speaker cab that I made out of an old 1940s radio cabinet.

15931_332133355470_725635470_9653690_708661_n.jpg

My Eastwood Mosrite copy, plus the Gretsch-a-like, again...

61770_10150272825830471_725635470_14812639_7378473_n.jpg

I've also got a small Gretsch acoustic, from their Americana series, which is nice for tooling around with...

repeatclicks

Practically Family
I am left handed, so naturally the first time I picked up a guitar I held it left handed. My brother gave me his old guitar, which was right handed, so I forced myself to learn this way, after seeing the options available for lefties!

Silver Dollar

Practically Family
Great collection Mr Badger. I've got a few Three Cats and a Fiddle recordings myself. Eddie Condon is another great tenor player but I haven't been able to find much of his work since he worked mostly as a side man.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran