Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gustin Jeans Selvage Denim made in SF

andy b.

One of the Regulars
I'm not sure how much longer I can hold out on the Zimbabwe denim. If it doesn't fund tonight I may end up backing it. If it was a little heavier or an odd color, I'd already be in.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
This pushed me over the edge:

"Zimbabwean cotton, is regarded as one of the finest cottons in the world, and even more so as it becomes even scarcer as fewer farmers grow the plant. This is a long staple cotton. - No genetics - super irregular - perfect for hard core denim nerds - Most japanese Mills buy up most of the Zimbabwean cotton... combined with natural indigo, and super old shuttle looms, at dangerously low speeds - Theres a reason why japanese denim is the best -

"There are many more interesting types of cottons, and blends, and some interesting concepts coming from Pakistan - no match to Zimbabwean cotton, but interestingly it was the Arabs who named cotton and it was the people of the Indus River Valley (Pakistan) who 1st spun it and woven into cloth."

I notice Momotaro Zimbabwe jeans are $295!

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
You guys are a terrible influence on me and largely responsible for my just backing the Zimbabwe! [bad]

wanz

One of the Regulars
Damn those Zimbabwes. Just when I thought I was out... they pull me back in.

I've done a cold wash and hang dry with a few pairs after wearing. The shrinkage in length has been negligible for me. Areas that have stretched out during wear (waist / thighs) do seem to shrink back down slightly. However, they also stretch back out faster.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
The Zimbabwe looks to be a great fabric. I have little or no sales resistance. Thus far the Okayama is my favorite denim fabric.

andy b.

One of the Regulars
Did you jump on the Zimbys, Andy?

Not yet. From the way people are talking about it, I think it is going to develop some great fades. I don't just mean honeycombs or whiskers, I mean more of the streaking and vertical grain. All I have with fades like that is an old pair of Levis, so the Zimbys would be an upgrade. If it was heavier I'd already be in, but I've been wearing my Am 16ers for a few days, and the more I think about it, 15oz is probably close to my sweet spot for denim I could wear all spring and fall, and warm winter days. If the second wave isn't funded by Tuesday, and they don't release anything else I'm looking for, I'll probably back it.

GriffDeLaGriff

One Too Many
Damn the loomies are hard to fade! Also the indys are hard to fade! Also the slate and naturals are hard to fade! Maybe I need some new jeans :D Did someone say Zimbys? :D

andy b.

One of the Regulars
Griff,

Well no wonder. When you have 20 different pairs and only wear them once per month, it will take years! ;)

GriffDeLaGriff

One Too Many
Haha, yeah but I actually got the indys first and wore them for everyday - no signs of fading and no signs of indigo (I also washed the cut of part from hemming and they dont look anything like indigo anywhere) Now I wear the loomies and have been almost everyday since I got them. The naturals was a joke because they are white and the slates...well...they made a mistake on them so they arent really a part of the real gang.

My main problem is the loomies doesnt seem to fade almost at all and I move in them alot during the day. But yeah, its still early so, and yes a new pair will only make it worse :D damn it :D

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
It's taken me ages to get the Okays to start showing any sign of fading but they're finally going a bit. The Green Wefts on the other hand are coming along nicely. Weirdly, the 21oz-ers, though their the youngest of them, are showing the most dye loss.

Cyber Lip

Practically Family
I ordered a pair of the zimbabwes. I actually need a few new pairs of jeans so I decided to order a 2nd pair. So I went to their site to put the order in and see they also have the Okayamas up again, which you guys all seem to like. So now I'm torn which pair to get as my 2nd pair. What would you guys do? Do 2 pairs of the Z's, or 1 pair of Z's, 1 pair of O's? The diff in price is negligable if the Z's are really that much better.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
I'd go with 1 Z and 1 O. The Okays are a really lovely denim, and you wouldn't regret getting them - both types will be seen as 'classics' from the early Gustin collection. I

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot