Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gustin L2 Jacket

Edward

Bartender
Yeah, the whole thing looks just too stretched, the jacket is too long and the D-pocket is too small. . . The zip on the D-pocket is usually much longer. I don't see why venture into this sort of thing and compete against the makers that have reached a perfection.

The proportions look wrong to my eye too. It's possible that repositioning the pockets and perhaps resiing them might hide this to some degree, but I think it's alwys gonig to be a jacket that just looks too long for what it is.

They have their market I guess, people who want to be fashion forward and don't want any of the classics.

Yes. As with their previous effort, this is desgiend to go with their low-waisted, tight legged jeans. Just not our bag round these parts.

I'm not sure an $800 price tag jibes well with 'mall-grade cool'. If I'm spending that much money, I'd want something pretty damn good, not somebody's half-assed guess at it.

Mn, quite. At today's money, that's about GBP600 - not far off new Aero money.

Until I found this thread, I was planning on getting one of these Gustin jackets.

I've been looking for a less aggressively styled double rider for some time now. I specifically wanted to get away from black leather and silver hardware and have had some difficulty finding anything around $500. I stared at this jacket a lot:

https://www.schottnyc.com/products/chips1.htm

But it doesn't exist anymore and was around $1400 when it was available. I'm not a motorcycle guy, I just like the styling, so the advantages of horsehide are lost on me. I just liked less traditioanl, brown double riders.

Gustinreleased pricing and additional photos of the four leathers they're using today:

https://www.weargustin.com/store/4049
https://www.weargustin.com/store/4054
https://www.weargustin.com/store/4050
https://www.weargustin.com/store/4052

I don't terribly trust Horween natural for a jacket, I've had shoes in that leather that take to stains very easily and the leather has proven tough to clean. The vintage brown was sort of the direction I was wanting to go, but I was hoping for a more traditional brown leather.

Is there something in this price range I should be looking at instead? The length of jacket, which a lot of you have specifically complained about, doesn't bother me so much. Any thoughts on what I ought to be doing here?

Per the above advice, look for an Aero Bootlegger, it's a cracking design and gives the lancer front without any of the more 'in yer face' bike jcket issues you decribe. Buying direct from Aero, you should be able to pull a good bargain in while the pound remains at a thirty year low against the dollar.

Do the Aero's drop THAT low when they end up on the sale page?

The UK £ is currently very low against the dollar - a mere USD1.33 to the pound. For now at least the price of an Aero Bootlegger (GBP640 direct from Aero) is around USD843 - not much of a step up from the Gustin price-wise, though if you import yourself you'll obviously have to cover the import tax...

achosid

New in Town
The proportions look wrong to my eye too. It's possible that repositioning the pockets and perhaps resiing them might hide this to some degree, but I think it's alwys gonig to be a jacket that just looks too long for what it is.

Yes. As with their previous effort, this is desgiend to go with their low-waisted, tight legged jeans. Just not our bag round these parts.

Mn, quite. At today's money, that's about GBP600 - not far off new Aero money.

Per the above advice, look for an Aero Bootlegger, it's a cracking design and gives the lancer front without any of the more 'in yer face' bike jcket issues you decribe. Buying direct from Aero, you should be able to pull a good bargain in while the pound remains at a thirty year low against the dollar.

The UK £ is currently very low against the dollar - a mere USD1.33 to the pound. For now at least the price of an Aero Bootlegger (GBP640 direct from Aero) is around USD843 - not much of a step up from the Gustin price-wise, though if you import yourself you'll obviously have to cover the import tax...

Of course. I would never DREAM of trying to avoid the import tax.

This is all very interesting. Looks like my road to my first serious jacket is still a bit of a ways off.

Grayland

Call Me a Cab

The Gustin sells for $499. I'd still go with the Aero Bootlegger, but that is quite a step up price-wise.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
As I recall the L1 was priced ~ $700 plus shipping. The L2 is priced between $500 - $650, the higher price for a L2 Horween CXL. For my part I would pay whatever the upcharge might be and buy an Aero Bootlegger over any L2.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails