Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

H-D Cycle King Jacket Vs. Aero Indian Ranger

Both jackets are perfect and I especially admire the scenery you chose to showcase them. Switch the photos to B&W, add some grain and they might've been taken when these were first made.

I can't see in what way one would be better than the other as they both look equally great, though I suspect Vanson is more comfortable to wear.

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
Both jackets are perfect and I especially admire the scenery you chose to showcase them. Switch the photos to B&W, add some grain and they might've been taken when these were first made.

I can't see in what way one would be better than the other as they both look equally great, though I suspect Vanson is more comfortable to wear.

UWIq1mk.jpg

NcSX7Tb.jpg

Randy, i was looking at these pics and couldn't believe the progress you have made photography wise, these are great.
It's hard to believe not long ago you used to take pics in your kitchen with a flash and sunglasses on!

Last edited:
UWIq1mk.jpg

NcSX7Tb.jpg

Randy, i was looking at these pics and couldn't believe the progress you have made photography wise, these are great.
It's hard to believe not long ago you used to take pics in your kitchen with a flash and sunglasses on!

I swear, for a split second before the images loaded, I though you posted some old photo for comparison, until I recognized Randy! But yeah, that's exactly it.

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
UWIq1mk.jpg

NcSX7Tb.jpg

Carlos - thank you for these "updated" photos. I indeed missed the chance at the time to do B&W while on-site in the camera. When I get back down there, I'll sure give that setting a go in the camera.

I like your coments here. Truth be told, I have been doing hand-held nature & scene photography for many years, starting back in the '80's with film. Long before digital. However I rarely had done anything with a tripod, and even less with "self portrat" style. Now I am doing both much more - as a direct result of this site. It's a new learning curve.

I recently went through many years of printed photos I took in high school, college and afterwards. Very few were of myself. Here I am tying to blend in the style of the jacket with the surroundings, which seem to have come off better than I expected. More to learn! Appreciate the thougths here... :)

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
Carlos - thank you for these "updated" photos. I indeed missed the chance at the time to do B&W while on-site in the camera. When I get back down there, I'll sure give that setting a go in the camera.

I like your coments here. Truth be told, I have been doing hand-held nature & scene photography for many years, starting back in the '80's with film. Long before digital. However I rarely had done anything with a tripod, and even less with "self portrat" style. Now I am doing both much more - as a direct result of this site. It's a new learning curve.

I recently went through many years of printed photos I took in high school, college and afterwards. Very few were of myself. Here I am tying to blend in the style of the jacket with the surroundings, which seem to have come off better than I expected. More to learn! Appreciate the thougths here... :)

I wouldn't do on site B&W in the camera.
If you do that you will only have the B&W image to work with.
You are better off shooting in colour (raw if you can) and then switching the image to B&W in post processing.

The filters i used on your pics are made by VSCO, they are IMO great, i shot a lot of real Ilford HP5 film and honestly cannot see the difference between real film and digital processed with these filters:

http://natephotographic.com/vsco-film-01/

(first pic was with TriX film simulation, secodn one is ilford HP5)

photo2u

Call Me a Cab
I gotta vote for the Vanson, likely because I'm lucky enough to own one. Almost impossible to find one now. If I'm not mistaken, they're made from the now discontinued X150 leather. Very cool jacket. They do run big as I originally got a Large but exchanged it for a Medium (I'm rarely a medium). I like the length of the Vanson on you better as well. I personally like jackets to cover one's belt.
A medium for me. It is settled.

Yango

One of the Regulars
Nice. Very cool backgrounds to highlight the jackets. B&W is a nice touch.

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
Kicking this thread back open - now it's only the Indian Ranger and 1.5 years after I started this journey with the IR. The Vanson was sold a long time back.

On thing I have always enjoyed is wearing a double-breasted jacket with a white shirt and tie. I had reason to wear a suit recently, so after the occasion I tried the IR on in some (early winter) sunlight at the back of my house. These photos are from that. I'm looking a little too serious here. I think it gives an idea how the CXL FQHH is breaking in.

DSC_0632.JPG
DSC_0634.JPG

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
Kicking this thread back open - now it's only the Indian Ranger and 1.5 years after I started this journey with the IR. The Vanson was sold a long time back.

On thing I have always enjoyed is wearing a double-breasted jacket with a white shirt and tie. I had reason to wear a suit recently, so after the occasion I tried the IR on in some (early winter) sunlight at the back of my house. These photos are from that. I'm looking a little too serious here. I think it gives an idea how the CXL FQHH is breaking in.

View attachment 471143 View attachment 471144

The leather jacket + shirt and tie combo really reminds me of the old 50's drawn advertising.
It seems back then it was a really normal combination.
You rock it well.

Aloysius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
The leather jacket + shirt and tie combo really reminds me of the old 50's drawn advertising.
It seems back then it was a really normal combination.
You rock it well.

Recently, after an online presentation (for which I was wearing a sports jacket and tie), I went ahead and tried on a few of my leather jackets, including cross-zips, over the shirt and tie. The combination looked quite good and gave me the sense that at the time, these would have broadly been considered sports jackets, interchangeably with casual tailored jackets like tweeds.

The only problem was that, for some of these jackets, by design the V-space at the top is very small and I have a beard like yours, so the tie sometimes disappeared…

In any case, this is part of why I’m drawn to a brown aviator type cross zip sometime soon.

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
I have a feeling while half zipped MC jacket looks decent with shirt and tie, but that effect will be gone if you wear the jacket open with its belt and buckle dangling, I bet it would look too casual, unless perhaps if you wear a vest buttoned up underneath.

MrProper

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I have a feeling while half zipped MC jacket looks decent with shirt and tie, but that effect will be gone if you wear the jacket open with its belt and buckle dangling, I bet it would look too casual, unless perhaps if you wear a vest buttoned up underneath.
One of the things I like about leather jackets. You can dress them up and down as you like.
With chino or dress pants it looks different than with jeans, with shirt different than with t-shirt, with tie different than without. But I think there is hardly anything that does not look good.

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up

This needs a hat. Where is your Fedora?

willyto

One Too Many

Fantastic!

That's how I like to wear my leather jackets. Always with a shirt, sometimes with a tie or bow tie.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yamamoto