Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hair and Humidity

LizzieMaine

Bartender
It's gonna be one of those days, I fear -- got up this morning, brushed out my pincurls, did my rolls for work, and now half an hour later the waves that hang free in the back are already starting to sag and flatten.

This is a problem for me all summer long -- the humidity here gets terrible during warm weather, and I've been trying for years to find some product or technique short of a perm to keep my waves, but nothing seems to work without making my hair stiff and crunchy. This isn't a problem in the winter -- it gets very dry here, and I can keep a set for three or four days without a problem. But right now, I'm doing well if it lasts three or four hours.

Can anyone suggest a wave-saving, humidity-proof method that really works?

Rosie

One Too Many
Not sure if this will work for you guys but, when I chemically straightened my hair, I used John Frieda Frizz-Ease Hair Serum to keep the frizzies away. It worked really well too. ANother thing that I've read, is to use a silicone based product. Also, citre shine makes a curl booster product that I used on my natural hair, naturally my hair is tight and loose (depending on where on my head) corkscrew curls and this works wonderfully on those humid days. Hope this helps.

Oh, citre shine also has an anti-frizz laminator, that has worked really well for keeping defined currls.

Tourbillion

Practically Family
I used to have a hairspray that was designed for humidity. Of course I can't remember the brand, but it was aerosol.

However, what I do if I want curls to stay is...use a hairnet. Then they can't fall out, literally. Hair tends to be frizz-free as well. Have you tried that?

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
I would second the hairnet trick (you can even wear your hair tucked into a decorative snood), and also recommend Aussie Instant Freeze hair spray. This is the only hair spray I have found that holds in humidty and even wind.

RetroMom

One of the Regulars
My hair falls flat if the weather report just mentions humidity!

I agree with Rosie, use John Frieda products. I use the Moisture Barrier hairspray and it really works. It is also good if you have too tight a set (i.e. frizzy) and want to soften it down a bit. I like the hairnet idea too:)

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I have terrible hair in the humidity, and a lot of trouble keeping a set in for longer periods. I'm sure you use a setting lotion. But for frizz, and to help keep a curl, I use Laminates balm by Sebastian. It keeps the frizz under control, and is light enough so it doesn't weigh down my curls. They sell it in beauty salons, but also now at CVS, since you live in New England, I think you have one in your area. Their hair spray is also light with good hold and doesn't leave a sticky film.

PrettySquareGal

I'll Lock Up
I've learned to view my hair as a novelty in the humidity. I never know what it will do. It defies any efforts on my part, so I just go with it, and try to embrace the frizzy look.

Rebecca D

One of the Regulars
After years of fighting the fog, I've decided to just accept that I can't wear my hair down most of the time. Snoods, head wraps, hairnets, buns, back rolls, up-dos etc... My current favorite hairdo is a fingerwave in the front and a bun in the back (stuffed with a rat), with flowers on the side.

I've found that when I secure my hair in place with about 10,000 bobby pins, or tuck it away under a scarf, I enjoy my day more. It's just one less thing to worry about.

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
I don't know about Lizzie, but because my hair is naturally straight with only a slight wave, when it is exposed to humidity the curl falls out and my hair becomes limp and straight. I don't get any frizz whatsoever (unless I pin curl my hair too tightly.) Therefore, frizz serums and creams only serve to weigh my hair down and don't actually help to keep the curl intact.

A cold set is only good until it becomes wet again, and since humidty adds moisture, the set will relax and start to do its own thing:(

VintageJess

One of the Regulars
jitterbugdoll said:
I don't know about Lizzie, but because my hair is naturally straight with only a slight wave, when it is exposed to humidity the curl falls out and my hair becomes limp and straight. I don't get any frizz whatsoever (unless I pin curl my hair too tightly.) Therefore, frizz serums and creams only serve to weigh my hair down and don't actually help to keep the curl intact.

A cold set is only good until it becomes wet again, and since humidty adds moisture, the set will relax and start to do its own thing:(

Jitterbugdoll,

I suffer the exact same fate! My hair is very fine, straight and baby soft. Surprisingly, it holds curl pretty well in normal weather, but during heat and humidity, it just goes Pfffttt...
And you are so right, products just seems to weight it down and make things worse. :(

BlancheDubois

Familiar Face
My hair is baby fine and wispy with a lot of natural wave. I use:

Frizz-Ease Curl Around Self-Starting Shampoo

Frizz-Ease Curl Around Self-Starting Conditioner

Frizz-Ease LITE Hair Serum (just a tiny amount -- and it's important to use the LITE formula only, as the other Frizz-Ease serums weigh my hair down too much)

Frizz-Ease Dream Curls Curl Perfecter

Frizz-Ease Moisture Barrier Hair Spray

I still have to check the mirror throughout the day and smooth my hair back down a bit with my hands, but these products work better for me than anything else I've tried.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Yep, I'm in pretty much the same boat as Jitterbugdoll and Jess -- my hair is naturally dead straight and flat. I've experimented with a lot of different products, and will likely experiment with more in hopes that there's some kind of a miracle solution -- but in the meantime I end up putting it into whatever kind of an updo I can manage, even though I end up with enough bobbypins on my head to set off every metal detector for miles around. But I'll keep plugging away and experimenting with the suggestions you all have shared, and maybe there'll be a breakthru!

My best friend, meanwhile, has a lovely natural wave in her hair, which she hates, and wishes hers was as straight as mine. This is small consolation....

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
I've really been impressed the the frizz-ease serum as well. Also Pantene makes a good de-frizzing pomade that I love to use as well.

Shimmy Sally

I have the opposite problem; my hair becomes curly when there is moisture in the air. The problem is, it doesn't curl evenly. I have tight ringlets all around the hairline, with various degrees of wave elsewhere. When it rains, my hair has a mind of it's own and there is just no point in trying to straighten it or keep it under control.

ITG

Call Me a Cab
Aussie make an anti-humidity hair spray. It's called 12-Hour D-Humidifier Hair Spray.
http://www.aussie.com/products/shell.asp?pid=f4
1. Click on "Styling" to the left
2. It's the 3rd one from the right.

It holds pretty well, almost too well, to where brushing it out can be a pain, reminding me of my 1980s hair spray uses of Rave and Aqua Net. I used Physiques for my hair spray and it actually holds pretty well, and is easy to comb through at the end of the day.

Tourbillion

Practically Family
Shimmy Sally said:
I have the opposite problem; my hair becomes curly when there is moisture in the air. The problem is, it doesn't curl evenly. I have tight ringlets all around the hairline, with various degrees of wave elsewhere. When it rains, my hair has a mind of it's own and there is just no point in trying to straighten it or keep it under control.

Sounds like my hair. I went to Miami a while back and it was soooo curly, just not at the same rate.

I asked my Florida transplant co-worker what a good solution is for humidity frizzes, and she said a ponytail, or lots of styling product.

Yuck!

back to the hairnets...

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
agreed. Ponytails and buns do wonders when having a bad hair day! plus, it feels so much better having your hair up when it's hot and humid :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR