Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hair cuts

Alon

One of the Regulars
Dinerman, to have gotten it just as the picture would have meant trimming off a lot more on the sides. I understand the barber's hesitation, the young lady who did my last hair cut downright refused to go to that length. I think it looks great as is and less militaristic than the cut you were aiming for. (I dare say that's a good thing!)

flat-top

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Alon said:
I understand the barber's hesitation, the young lady who did my last hair cut downright refused to go to that length.
Yup, it's a severe cut. I've been cutting my own for about 15 years, so I've got it down to a science. I've tried just about everything, so I've had to live with a few mistakes! Luckily my hair grows like weeds.

Jerekson

One Too Many
Somewhat recent...

FL_6.png

berwynguy

New in Town
Haircut journey

Well here it is August, end of summer coming soon, so I've started the long journey back to letting my hair grow out so I can get enough length to brylcreem a nice pomp. Got my last #1.5 up the sides and #4 on top for the season last weekend. Been slicking what I have on top, but not the same as being able to part it and get a nice pomp.

brylcreem boy

One of the Regulars
Mr. 'H' said:
Yes, what a great movie, and thanks soooo much for those screen caps.

Here a poster that may be of interest:

Styles.jpg

"every 10 days?!!!" :eek:

I have never seen that movie.. will definitely have to check it out. That poster brings back memories, as a little boy I stood out in the long haired 70's- my dad made me keep mine just like the junior contour, short taper, nice outline and he always had the barber slick every hair in place with Royal Crown hair dressing and sharply part it- man I used to hate that as a kid. As an adult, when I tired of the pomp I had an Exec Contour or the Vanguard. But for charity for cancer I completely shaved my head 2 weeks ago... and at 1st thought I hated it, now it's growing on me.. will see how I like it when it gets cold in the coming months....That poster is a nice find!!!

brylcreem boy

One of the Regulars
Alon said:
Junior Contour! That's what I want! So do I just go to my barber and tell him to give me the Junior Contour?

On a serious note, if you come across photographs of this style or something similar to it, could you pass it along so that I can take them with me to the barber?

Hey Alon!!

If you can find an older barber print a photo of the poster and show it to him.. it took me awhile searching but I finally found an old school barber that understood what old fashioned taper cut is and if you want it to stay looking that way.. get it cut every 2 weekes minimum and used an old school product like pomade, brylcreem or wildroot. That is a very classy style

brylcreem boy

One of the Regulars
Dinerman said:
Here's what I came back from the barber's with. Not quite what's in the picture I gave him, but I think he did a nice job on it, looks the part.

IMG_9680.jpg

IMG_9672.jpg

Dinerman that is one sharp haircut!:eusa_clap may not be just like you wanted, but it looks awesome and the perfect compliment to that suit.
Your making me wanna grow mine back now!!

Brinybay

Practically Family
Mr. 'H' said:
Yes, what a great movie, and thanks soooo much for those screen caps.

Here a poster that may be of interest:

"every 10 days?!!!" :eek:

There's a saying that goes with that:
"Never ask a barber if'n you need a haircut."

inappropriate

New in Town
inappropriate said:
Hola camaradas,

classicm_16.jpg

Say, I've a few quick questions, rather simple I hope...

Has it been long enough that I've spent waiting for some kind of help that, having demonstrated my virtuous patience sufficiently, someone will revisit my basic question and offer some assistance?

The picture I posted. I need to find the foundational cut for that sort of style; can't take in the photo of the style, hairdresser hasn't a clue how to go about it with all that product in the pictured 'do.

Jerekson

One Too Many
That's almost exactly the same cut that I have.

Keep the sides relatively long so that they can brushed back behind the ears.

Bangs should be cut straight at about eyebrow level. Almost like a bowl cut when flat.

The top and back of the head should be kept a little longer than the front I think, but that isn't very important.

brylcreem boy

One of the Regulars
Mr. 'H' said:
Here's one I has last summer....

SSL11220.jpg

Great looking cut Mr. H, the well groomed wave in the front makes it look very vintage. I wish mine could have had a nice wave in the front like yours. Mine is stick straight, what kind of product did you use for it?

Mr. 'H'

Call Me a Cab
brylcreem boy said:
Great looking cut Mr. H, the well groomed wave in the front makes it look very vintage. I wish mine could have had a nice wave in the front like yours. Mine is stick straight, what kind of product did you use for it?

Why thanks for the compliment.

At that time I applied red dax wax which is a really hard wax and topped it off with brylcreme.

77315-00904-2.jpg

Right now I like using the green and gold tin:

77315-00005-6.jpg

Generally my routine is to apply the wax on washed hair and drape a hot damp facecloth over my head for a couple of minutes to soften the wax up. then I can comb it.

:D

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
thanks all. It's a very comfortable cut, especially with a little royal crown to keep it up.

Speaking of royal crown, I just realized that it's on the cover of one of my favorite albums.

The_Black_Keys_-_Thickfreakness.jpg

brylcreem boy

One of the Regulars
Dax is the one pomade out there I have never tried. but one thing seems constant with most folks pomade techniques... a heavy one is used for hold and a light weight product for shine. I have not tried brylcreem in quite some time... I noticed your barber shop has brylcreem dispensers, that's a nice touch, do they actually keep brylcreem in them??

Mr. 'H' said:
Why thanks for the compliment.

At that time I applied red dax wax which is a really hard wax and topped it off with brylcreme.

77315-00904-2.jpg

Right now I like using the green and gold tin:

77315-00005-6.jpg

Generally my routine is to apply the wax on washed hair and drape a hot damp facecloth over my head for a couple of minutes to soften the wax up. then I can comb it.

:D

brylcreem boy

One of the Regulars
Dinerman said:
thanks all. It's a very comfortable cut, especially with a little royal crown to keep it up.

Speaking of royal crown, I just realized that it's on the cover of one of my favorite albums.

The_Black_Keys_-_Thickfreakness.jpg

Your welcome.. your right it doesn't take much royal crown to get shine going on your hair, I used to use that stuff religiously on my pompadour to make it shine and it would fall if I used too much.... I gave up using it though because my girlfriend complained about the scent.

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
I got a haircut yesterday at Halifax's oldest barbershop, which has been there since 1928. Other than the barber, who recently bought the place when the owner died, I was the youngest there by a good 65 years or so, and there was a decent wait.
The place is very much a time warp, with hardwood floors, tiled walls, wood cabinets, white enameled chairs, and one big sink in the middle of the room. Cast aluminum electric shaving cream heaters/dispensers, an 80 year old autoclave, singe tapers. Straight out of the '20s. Unfortunately, no interior shots- my camera battery died.

Seeing as the average customer is in the 65-100 (there's a guy who's 100 years old who comes in regularly, and has since the day it opened, eighty years ago) range, my style haircut was no problem. All the edges were finished up with a straight razor.

A little bit of Royal Crown and I was good to go.

IMG_2697.jpg

IMG_2583.jpg

FATS88

One of the Regulars
swinggal said:
The 'conk' haircut began back in the 1920s and was usually a style worn by men of colour. It was when very curly hair was straightened out chemically to resemble a caucasion haircut and was done undergoing a very painful process which 'relaxed' the hair with a solution of lye and other chemicals. You can see Denzel and Spike do this in the movie 'Malcolm X'

Cab Calloway made the Conk famous but if you look at old photo's of Duke Ellington, Nat King Cole, Basie Louis Armstong and other black muscians of the era - they all sported 'Conks' at one time or another.

Thats a great shot Wingnut!

Cab Calloway's hair was natural, not "conked"

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
I posted these the other day in a new thread a member started about trying to get a classic haircut. This is the thread they really belong in.

My neighbor cuts my hair and does a better job, I think, than barbers and 'hair stylists' I've tried.

These are a few days after the last cut. Should have neatened the neck. Have since.

DSC_0010.jpg

DSC_0008-1.jpg

DSC_0011.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy