Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hair cuts

Jerekson

One Too Many
Gene,
Do you have a center part? From those pictures it's a bit difficult to tell what you've got going on there.

FATS88

One of the Regulars
HarpPlayerGene said:
I posted these the other day in a new thread a member started about trying to get a classic haircut. This is the thread they really belong in.

My neighbor cuts my hair and does a better job, I think, than barbers and 'hair stylists' I've tried.

These are a few days after the last cut. Should have neatened the neck. Have since.

DSC_0010.jpg

DSC_0008-1.jpg

DSC_0011.jpg

Great coiff, and your henley is cool too

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
Yeah, it mostly falls off from the center. I don't do a part as such. I double comb it - straight back at first and then go over each side again with the fine tooth.

Here I am with a little Murray's Pomade:

DSC_0001.jpg

DSC_0003.jpg

Oh and as for the pullover, I have to admit a moment of weakness in Bealls Outlet the other day. $16.00 for the thing. I rarely buy anything new/retail these days but this is a pretty cool modern interpretation for the money. And functional.

Brinybay

Practically Family
I'm jealous of youse guys who have thick, dense hair. Mine has always been very fine and not real dense. Getting less dense as I age.

Anyway, my hair isn't any specific "vintage" style, unless "short" is considered vintage. I just tell my barber to cut it fairly short, tapered in back, off the ears but no white-walls. Don't try to mess with the part, it's natural and just grows that way. Here's what it looks like fresh, just had it cut yesterday. I usually don't put any grooming gel in it, I usually use hair spray. I would like to go "wet" mostly for practical reasons, e.g. on a windy day or after wearing a hat I can just run a comb through it, plus I just really like the vintage look of "wet" hair. But the "dry" look makes my hair look fuller. At least I think so, you can tell me what you think:

Dry:
Wet:

OldSoul

Familiar Face
Brinybay, I like it. Suits you dry or wet, but I can see what you mean by 'fuller when dry'.

Both my mother and my fathers side of the family have hair-loss issues, so I think my days of thick, full hair are numbered :(

3PieceSuitGuy

One of the Regulars
inappropriate said:
Has it been long enough that I've spent waiting for some kind of help that, having demonstrated my virtuous patience sufficiently, someone will revisit my basic question and offer some assistance?

The picture I posted. I need to find the foundational cut for that sort of style; can't take in the photo of the style, hairdresser hasn't a clue how to go about it with all that product in the pictured 'do.

I think the foundation for this cut is the same as any other vintage style. Tapered back & sides & long on top. I think the thing you have to take into account is that Errol had hairstylists etc primping & preening him to get his hair looking that way. I have slightly wavy hair & would love it to look like Errol's but as soon as I put product in the wave loses its wave, but it ain't straight either!

To answer your question get it tapered at the back & sides and long on top then let your wavesfall where they will. With a bit of training your hair may look similar!

Cheer

Peter

cookie

I'll Lock Up
Dinerman said:
Someone posted a picture of this guy a while ago- I think it was an australian hat shop? I can't really remember, but I cropped it down just to show the person with the hair I want. No one famous.

Yeah it was me and I got it from some 1930s archive I trolled on google when looking for Golden Era stuff in Oz.

Kifaru

New in Town
I flew from London to Washington DC yesterday for a two day conference and wanted a haircut. I asked at the hotel if they new where a "proper barbershop" was located. They pointed to the mall across the street and said there was one in there. So, I go across the road, walk down the mall and sure enough, there it was; no kidding, proper barber shop. Ten chairs, ten barbers, sound of clippers going to town. I stepped in and took of my fedora, and lo and behold, here was even a coat and hat rack to hang it on! I sat right down and asked the fella for a "short back and sides." He buzzed away for ten minutes or so and then whisked me around to look in the mirror. Well, I guess "short back and sides" doesn't mean the same thing on this side of the pond. It wasn't near short enought and he didn't razor my neck and ears. I thought about saying something but then noticed the tear drop tattoo right next to his right eye. Hmmm, maybe I should just say "thanks" and be on my way... I'll get it cut again when I get to the Yuma Marine Corps Air Station. They will certainly know what "short back and sides" mean! I'll be lucky if I don't walk out of there with a Lance Corporal cut :eek:

MisterGrey

Practically Family
*sigh* I envy you all.

It seems that for every pound of weight I've lost since high school, a significant portion of hair has gone with it.

2003:

l_d031c28d164125c50f9af0804b79b489.jpg

2008:

l_0c790b6a00d1980dfb23919e3491915b.jpg

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
Mister Grey, you look way cooler now than you did then, I think. Yeah, I've got a mop on top, but my girlfriend always oohs and ahhs over the shaved dome dudes.

Dinerman, that barber knows his stuff. Good one.

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
HarpPlayerGene said:
Dinerman, that barber knows his stuff. Good one.

Thanks! I'm probably the youngest client there by a good 60 years. The old guys still get the old haircuts, so the barber's good at them.

Once again, though, I forgot my camera when I went. The place is really cool. Inside's straight out of the '20s (with a little early '50s fixing up thrown in)

Kifaru said:
I sat right down and asked the fella for a "short back and sides." He buzzed away for ten minutes or so and then whisked me around to look in the mirror. Well, I guess "short back and sides" doesn't mean the same thing on this side of the pond. It wasn't near short enought and he didn't razor my neck and ears.
---------------------------
In many shops you tell them the number of the clipper guide you want them to use. 1= very short / 2=pretty shorts/ 3=short/ 4= medium. 5&6 are angled.

Belegnole

One of the Regulars
cookie said:
Hair today...gone tomorrow....:mad: :mad: :(
And because of genetics I reserve the right to play with hairstyles.....while I still have the hair to style.

Dinerman that cut really works for you. I have seen many of your posted pictures and that may be the most flattering cut yet! In fact I may have to copy it....hope you don't mind.

OldSoul

Familiar Face
Went down to my barber's today with my hair combed into the general style I desired, I saw the cut in a photo of a U.S Army engineer in Korea, like how it looked on him figured it might look decent on my ugly mug as well. What do you guys think?

mike

Call Me a Cab
I get my hair cut in NYC at Michael's Barber Shop by a great, cheap and quick barber named Israel. He'll do a skin fade and remember what you want for years to come!

Michael's Barber Shop
55 W 45th St 2nd Floor
New York, NY 10036
(212) 719-3120

121808_16191.jpg

121808_16192.jpg

121808_16201.jpg

121808_16202.jpg

121808_16221.jpg

B. F. Socaspi

One of the Regulars
Possibly dumb, even more possibly confusingly worded question:

When I part my hair, there seems to be hair leftover on the side opposite the part, which I must comb down meticulously. And even then, it's still noticeably longer than the rest of the hair on that side of my head. When I get my hair cut, should I ask for this to be trimmed down, or is it normal?

My hair is about as thick as a rug (clogs a buzzer every couple of passes...I never escape the nicks!), so I thought it might just be the way it lays?

Baron Kern

New in Town
I actually think that the haircut described in: http://www.dererstezug.com/GermanHaircut.htm

would look good on me. And im rather keen on getting my hair cut this way.

Though I would like to pose a question to forum members.

Im a 21 year old white male currently attending a university in hartford CT/USA. If you were to see someone on the street with such a haircut, would you immediately think Nazi?

I dont want to have a hard time with students/professors/part-time job with people thinking im some sort of white-supremest or Nazi.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy