Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hair cuts

Jerekson

One Too Many
AtomicEraTom said:
I also liked Clooney's look in O Brother, where art thou.

Oh yes, the Fop ordeal...

Haven't seen the movie in ages, but from what I can remember he actually slicked it back pretty extensively compared to the pictures posted earlier.

Griemersma

One of the Regulars
Great cuts, everybody!

James Cagney had a pretty wide variety of hairstyles throughout his career. I stumbled across this picture of him today-- it reminded me of a more extreme version of your new cut, Dinerman:

3450364131_21b8581da7_o.jpg

MisterGrey

Practically Family
I wonder what the reaction was to Cagney's haircut? It seems rather extreme for the period; or maybe it's just my ignorance. I didn't think men at the time were "allowed" to have such "drastic" hairstyles.

To backpedal a bit, I can vouch for Groom and Clean, which is what I've got in my hair in the picture posted a few pages back. It's a less expensive alternative to Brylcreem, and, just like it's name-brand competitor, a "dab will do ya" (unless you've got thicker hair, in which case two dabs will do ya). It cleans out very easily with shampoo and water and doesn't dry, allowing you to change the style throughout the day as you see fit. A few years ago, I was an usher at a movie theater; every time I'd leave the podium to go clean an auditorium, I'd stop in the bathroom on the way back (time permitting) and change my hairstyle, just to mess with my co-workers.

MisterGrey said:
I wonder what the reaction was to Cagney's haircut? It seems rather extreme for the period; or maybe it's just my ignorance. I didn't think men at the time were "allowed" to have such "drastic" hairstyles.

To backpedal a bit, I can vouch for Groom and Clean, which is what I've got in my hair in the picture posted a few pages back. It's a less expensive alternative to Brylcreem, and, just like it's name-brand competitor, a "dab will do ya" (unless you've got thicker hair, in which case two dabs will do ya). It cleans out very easily with shampoo and water and doesn't dry, allowing you to change the style throughout the day as you see fit. A few years ago, I was an usher at a movie theater; every time I'd leave the podium to go clean an auditorium, I'd stop in the bathroom on the way back (time permitting) and change my hairstyle, just to mess with my co-workers.
I've used Groom and Clean and found it to just not give quite as good of a shine. It seems to wash out nicer however. I use a clarifying shampoo with the Brylcreem, and have very thick hair and do a pomp, so I use a lot of it. When I Got my haircut today, my skilled hair stylist who's been styling for almost 30 years, I call her Mom, said I still had a ton of buildup. Any better suggestions for cleaning out this good stuff?

Just got my hair cut, in the same style I have for the past 8 years. Just thought I'd share some pics.
phone.jpg

phone010.jpg

phone009.jpg

phone008.jpg

Also, pardon my hair for not being perfectly groomed, it is quarter after one in the morning right now.

Lamplight

One of the Regulars
I am quite jealous of the guys in this thread. My hair is blond and incredibly thick, which makes a vintage-looking hairstyle next to impossible for me. Not only that, but if I grow it out long it bares a remarkable resemblance to Leila Hyams's hair. lol

Leila_Hyams_220.jpg

Because of this, I just "buzz" my hair really short all over. Well, that's also partly due to our miserably hot summers here.

Some years ago as we were nearing the Christmas Holiday and all of those 'gifty' gifts come out on the store shelves. I was in Sears and spotted several sets of Wahl electric hair clippers. I picked out the high end one as it seemed to be more of a hearty nature.

Since then, I will leave the top long and use the angled guides along the line where my the sides of my head go from up and down to curved over to be the top, about an 1-1/2 above my ears. The #1 guide below that and the clipper flipped to do the edges in the back.

Once the weather gets hot, I just use the #2 guide all over!

flat-top

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Mr. 'H' said:
Please make sure you show us the result FT.
Ok, well I DID give that cut a try, and I wasn't crazy about it. I kept it for a few days (no pics), but then I came home the other night and did THIS:
IMG_28483.jpg

Not my usual style, but I have done this in the past and I love it.
I'll grow my greasy hep cat hair back soon enough....

Herr Hitman

One of the Regulars
Campus Five said:
Since "Matt Deckard" already put a picture of my haircut on page 1, I'll venture some ideas regarding "product." I've found that I don't really like to use greasy, or oil-y old school products, although I did really want them to work. Also I have fairly fine hair, and I don't want it glued down to my head. My choice: American Crew Pomade. They make several other varieties, but I still like the Pomade best. It's weighty without being too heavy, and best of all it washes out completely. Some of the other modern pomades you can find at the drug store, are just slightly thickened gels, and don't hold for crap. American Crew is probably just thickened gel, but it does hold properly and has a true pomade-like feel.

Here's a more recent picture:
mytchpic.jpg
Hey your music is awesome! Come to Texas!

FinalVestige79

Practically Family
Still in search of a barber....

I have thick, black curly hair. I keep it short 4 on the sides and 5 on the top. If i let it grow out it'll look like a fro. For a while during my freshman year thats what I did...I had hair in my eyes and down past my ears...it was just awful. Never again! Any suggestions on what I can do? Its not easy to keep it swept back.

African Americans years ago, got a process, I beleive it was called a Conk, correct me if I'm wrong. But it straightened out the naturally curly hair of theirs to a much straighter fashion. It can be seen in the movie "Malcolm X"

Couple Fair Examples here from my favorite Motown Group

tempts.jpg

Melvin Frankin, top Left, David Ruffin, Bottom Left, and Otis Williams, Bottom Right all look to have had a process done in this photograph.

marcoinge

New in Town
You can see the process also at the beginnig of The Temptations tv movie (I recommend it since you appreciate the Tempts, I love them too)...

Marco

AtomicEraTom said:
African Americans years ago, got a process, I beleive it was called a Conk, correct me if I'm wrong. But it straightened out the naturally curly hair of theirs to a much straighter fashion. It can be seen in the movie "Malcolm X"

Couple Fair Examples here from my favorite Motown Group

tempts.jpg

Melvin Frankin, top Left, David Ruffin, Bottom Left, and Otis Williams, Bottom Right all look to have had a process done in this photograph.

Jerekson

One Too Many
AtomicEraTom said:
Just got my hair cut, in the same style I have for the past 8 years. Just thought I'd share some pics.
phone008.jpg

Also, pardon my hair for not being perfectly groomed, it is quarter after one in the morning right now.

I gotta say Tom, I think if you cut the sideburns down a bit you'd have a great John Milner look going on...

Hah, I'm a big-time American Graffiti fan. Great film for those of us who are nuts about vintage lifestyles, music, and CARS!! I have my dad's copy of the Soundtrack that he bought in 1973, he was 13 and had to have it! He was a 50s style greaser in those days.

I'm getting a lot of hating on the sideburns lately, but I can't bring myself to shave them off. They've got a little bit of Rockabilly Flair to them and I kinda like them, but I'm beginning to feel like Ricky From Trailer Park Boys.
You can guess which one Ricky is....Heck, I'd even wear that shirt! LOL!

Trailer_Park_Boys_001.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy