Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hair cuts

mattfink

Practically Family
I've been getting my hair cut by the same person for 12 years now. I look for someone who is friendly, remembers your name and is willing to work with you. A lot of barbers seem to be lazy and only want to give one or two haircuts. I've over the years experienced a great haircut around the edges, but the top was choppy and uneven. Listen to what the customer is telling you and ask them to participate as much as possible. Also let them watch as you cut the hair (facing the mirror). It's not enough to just cut it and show them later on. There's a great article on here about choosing a barber:

http://artofmanliness.com/

djgo-cat-go

Practically Family
I went to a guy for the last 6 years in a row.. He's really into old-school haircuts and knows my hair.. I have not the easiest hair, very thick and straight with a weird crown (is that the right word) on the left-back of my head around which my hair circles around my head.. I want it always short back 'n sides with a quiff (pomp), slicked back.. If I let another barber have a go, they usually cut the hair to evenly,and too short around the crown which make the hair jump up... no can of hardcore pomade will glue that hair flat to my head... My barber somehow cuts a-symmetrical (if that makes sense), leaving the left side longer than the right side... if you see how it works it all makes sense

When you're a returning customer the barber really gets to know you, annd yer hair, besides the social aspect..

memphislawyer

Practically Family
Old school barbershops in Memphis are hard to find. Maybe a half dozen, really. Most are like chain stores, women for the most part, 35 and under. The ones that exist tend to be in the older parts of town, where they have been since the 60's and 70's and the men there are holding on and holding out. Sadly, straight razor shaves are really nonexistant.

Im gonna check on one, but Id like a guy that will be around, and since I am soon to be 50, gonna be a hard find. I read that article on the manliness site, and true, many places I go to either charge $30 and up for a 'stylist' or use clippers at the Supercuts $12 place.

djgo-cat-go said:
My barber somehow cuts a-symmetrical (if that makes sense), leaving the left side longer than the right side... if you see how it works it all makes sense.

Sounds more like an optical illusion similar to how the Greeks got the temple columns to look parallel only when they weren't. If it works it works!

fallbackdown82

New in Town
I appreciate all the response! I know I'm fresh and still have a ton to learn. I plan on working with an older gentleman in my town. His shop has been in the same place since the early 1960's. I really admire the old school cuts, and techniques. I hate going to a barber and they use guards and just clipper your whole head. It's cheating. I love straight razor shaving clients, giving a really exceptional cut, and doing that extra bit to make a client happy. Like shaving the back of your neck to make your cut look really sharp. This is a dying art!

fallbackdown82

New in Town
Barbering and cool cuts

Does anyone have pictures of great haircuts they've gotten from their barber? I really want to see some cool vintage cuts, and just plain cuts that you've really liked.

Scotus

One of the Regulars
fallbackdown82 said:
Does anyone have pictures of great haircuts they've gotten from their barber? I really want to see some cool vintage cuts, and just plain cuts that you've really liked.

I would like to also see more vintage cuts that people have gotten; e.g., 30s style. I took the chart illustration posted in this thread into my last cut (the one that says, "short sides and back").

matei

One Too Many
Alas... we're about to move out of London and I will need to look for a new barber.

It took me long enough to find two places that I know will give a decent haircut (depending on the person you get and their disposition), now I've got to start over again. :eusa_doh:

To the UK loungers... anyone hip to any proper barbershops either in Northampton, Milton Keynes or around Bicester?

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
Unearthed this photo of myself from when I was about six. The more things change the more they stay the same.

scan0001-1.jpg

Maguire

Practically Family
Boxerken- i've been trying to get a cut like that for some time myself, i have settled for the same cut all along. what exactly did you ask for? Or what did you show/tell them to get that one?

1*Cool*Kitten

One of the Regulars
Haircuts from a person who's in the know!

**Don't know if I'm allowed on this site*** but here's some advice fellas, look at this web site: http://www.ftmguide.org/haircuts.html maybe it will help maybe it won't! also,for those of you who have to get a new barber How about going to the school!Yeah, a BARBER SCHOOL! the prices are more economical for these times#1,#2 you will get the cut you want!#3 if you stick with the student until they graduate you'll already have a barber who's trained because You've been with them since they were a student!sometimes the students will just keep charging you the same amount because your "LOYAL".
Also, for the fellas of SoCal; there is a a barber shop in San Bernardino called "STAYGOLD barber shop" (http://www.myspace.com/staygoldbarbershop) I personally have not been there but you can check it out!who knows~you might find a great place to get your hairs cut!!!
Hope this helps guys![huh]

I've gotten my hair cut by the same person my whole life, my Mom. She was a stylist for years at my Grandmother's shop. She's been in business since the 70's and has one of the largest in the Milwaukee area. She does a lovely job on my pompadour. Great side-part and everything. She actually parts it on both sides, so the pomp is higher, which works nicely, then I just sweep the hair over the right hand part and it's no longer noticable. She cuts a mean DA too, when I want one. That's no easy task, I have two cowlicks on the back of my head. She's a lady with skill. And the price is right!

GreyHaas

New in Town
Anyone here have the book "Least Wanted"? It's a collection of mugshots of everyday people from the 1800s to the 1970s. A majority of the book spans the 1930s-50s with mostly photographs of men. This makes it a great resource and insight into the everyday mens style, especially hairstyles, of the times. Highly recommended.

Check it out on Amazon and the guy that put it together also has a Flickr.

habberdasher

A-List Customer
Vladimir Berkov said:
The problem I have with my hair is that I basically look like Kramer if I don't do something to it. I am serious, it will stand up like 3 inches on top of my head. I guess I got sick of dealing with it and started using Murray's. .
Same with mine! I use Murray's too, but does your hair get all frizzy with little curls popping up through the straight hair?

filfoster

One Too Many
vintage cuts

Has anyone actually gotten one of those really severe cuts, in the almost 'Norman' medieval style, the Germans favored in the Thirties and War years? I saw a photo the other day of 'Gestapo' Mueller, in some meeting and his pate from just behind his ears was totally bald. Not an easy look to pull off. I suppose if the War had been fought with barber shears, the result would have been the same.

andHeydrich1939.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot