Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hair cuts

filfoster

One Too Many
Hair on yer chest

Mr. 'H' said:
I've just posted on my blog a video clip (4 min) about the trend in Dublin of "cool" guys coming in asking for the 1940s haircut.

Seriously, it's a trend here now! I'm not kidding.... :eek:

Here's the link:

http://diaryofavintagebarberenthusiast.blogspot.com/
How many guys will come in asking for the 'Heinrich Mueller"? That is one 'bad' haircut, in every sense. I wonder if his barber survived the war?
And....what did MRS Mueller say when he came home with this? "Did you actually PAY for that?"
Even "Hangman" Heydrich can't look at him with a straight face. He's thinking "Jeez, why does he still cut his own hair..Don't I pay him enough?"

andHeydrich1939.jpg

filfoster

One Too Many
Trip, no tip

Mr. 'H' said:
I think the barber tripped with the machine in his hands....
:eek:

Heinrich Mueller would be one customer it would not pay to nick an ear. We can only guess there was no tip for this cut. What, Mueller said, "Oh, well, I feel like something totally different today. Let's try, uh, medieval Norman!.... You know, the Fuhrer has that notion of conquering Blighty someday-may as well look the part."

And so the barber went totally medieval on his ass.... uh, head. And was never heard from again.

maximiliani

New in Town
Vintage haircut help?

Hi all! I'm a big lover of pre mid 1960's culture. Anything from turn of the century onwards in terms of fashion I'm very much into it..I've been struggling trying to pull it off I guess, having a little problem with the hair.

My grandfather had great hair back in the 40's:

popswing.jpg

popswing2.jpg

I've been having trouble. His hair was really curly, like even cut short it was kind of kinky, mine is curly but only when it gets longer, like wavy? I guess so. So I'm trying to figure out a good cut for myself. I really dont think super short is very good for me, I think it makes my face look bigger and some of the cuts I've tried that were more vintage make me look considerably older, when I'm only 20. My friends think I look better with longer hair, but I was just wondering if anybody could suggest a haircut that might flatter me, or what I should just do with my hair in general? Here's some attempts at vintage-like hair and other haircuts I've had in the past year:

4751_527644020522_53103419_31703078.jpg

2.png

n552986773_2509422_7031875.jpg

current haircut:
Picture0040.jpg

It's kinda weird, getting kinda 80's ish and I need to cut it- hence why I'm asking for help! If anybody could offer some suggestions on what to perhaps try, I'm all game.

Thanks!

Selvaggio

One of the Regulars
I think you need to wear it quite a bit shorter just over your ears and at the nape of your neck and then have your barber blend to the longer sections above. Also try a very distinct part - wear it on the side of your natural crown and a little lower than most would wear these days.

Good luck

BTW you look a lot like your Grandfather. That's my great great grandfather in my avatar - I'm not sure I really want to emulate quite that look!

sproily

Practically Family
Hey,

I have quite similar if not identical hair to what you have. The color seems pretty spot on too, mine might be a tad lighter.

Wavy hair is a good trait if you want a 30's haircut. Back then it was considered a plus. I am going to sport (once I get it grows a bit longer) a basic short on the sides and back haircut. Quite a bit long on the front so you can slick it back. If I were you I'd just trim the sides and back.

I am going to give you a few pics of what I'm after and you tell me if that suits you or is totally not good for you.

Here's the classic shot of Django Reinhardt, as you can see it's not too curly but has certain wave to it
dr527b.jpg

I absolutely love the hairdo/cut on this clip of Tom Waits from the movie Big Time, It's curly and slicked back. Looks very appealing to me. He's got it fairly long on the front and has waves all over the place. This might be a bit harder to get working, but it'd look fabulous.

So instead of a picture I give you this video, check it out

[YOUTUBE]gFxGM-semhQ[/YOUTUBE]

maximiliani

New in Town
That could work, thanks you guys. That kind of cut won't be too aging will it? I think Zac Efron's been sporting something like that...maybe it could work for me too.

How short would you say I should go on the sides and how do I describe that to the barber? Should I use the direct term short over your ears and at the nape of your neck and then tell then to blend it as it gets longer on top? Or taper it? I'm not very knowledgeable in haircut terminology, I've had a mop top from high school until just last year, so this is all new....

sproily

Practically Family
The term for the haircut is simply "short back and sides"

I'm not sure about how long you want to have but if you take it shorter you can always grow it out a bit longer and see what you prefer

djgo-cat-go

Practically Family
Short back 'n sides gets my vote too!! Make sure your barber makes the transition between the short shaven neck and sides to the longer top hair smoothly! and use lots of pomade ;)

Scotus

One of the Regulars
I would say what the others have said here, especially Selvaggio. It should not be too short on the sides and back all the way up; that is, if you're going for more of a look from the '30s, it should be quite long on the top and sides so that it can be slicked back. It's tappered just around the ears and around the back (nap) of the neck. It's then blended into much longer hair as it goes up. If you get it too short on the sides and back, it will look like the Ivy League, which I don't think it what you want.

If you go to the thread below, you'll find some great examples of some vintage hair. There's even a "short back & sides" chart that might be helpful. When I first showed it to my stylist, she laughed at illustration of the guy sporting purple sun glasses.

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=87

If you go to a "stylist" instead of a barber, you might bring in a vintage hair photo, or a photo from a modern movie that shows what you want; e.g., Public Enemies, Aviator, etc. If you have someone that "gets it," you'll be happy.

Mr. 'H'

Call Me a Cab
1*Cool*Kitten said:
[huh] JMHO~but having been in business for 30+ years;building a clientele in Norwalk,CA78-83,walking away/moving to the High Desert in 83-92,walking away/moving to Fl 92-'05,then moving back to the High Desert to our shop we own now (mother/daughter). Having moved all over the State of Florida but working with Haircuttery Hair Francise I can tell you one thing..........Every thign the previous writters have said!

Hi Rita, thanks for all the tips! Keep 'em coming.

Mr. 'H'

Call Me a Cab
I just saw this little gem. Aw schucks Paddy, I'm blushin' here....

PADDY said:
My 'H' has been training part time at his favourite barber's in Dublin, Ireland. Having been going as a customer for the past decade, to this Barber shop/ Salon that has been cutting Gentlemen's hair for approximately 80-years, he decided to see what it was like on the 'other side' of the scissors!!

And 'my goodness,' this man 'cuts a dash' in his traditional Barber's starched white tunic and 40's haircut!!

Have a look at his diary (it's a work in progress and 'ongoing' - just like his training!). But this is obviously a labour of love for our Mr 'H' as he learns the skills that many have now forgotten.

By the way, the customer service, professionalism, skills, and practices of this establishment compliment the surroundings of a Barber shop that takes one back to the 1940's.

http://diaryofavintagebarberenthusiast.blogspot.com/

Mr. 'H'

Call Me a Cab
repeatclicks said:
Needs blending for sure. A good barber should be able to blend it whilst making it look 'distinctive' from the top of your head. What photo are you showing to your barber? What era?

I.E.
l_f7e2ee4b48d6aa937eb20898d7064a14.jpg

l_10edb3747f51dd726bcf80870c45b71b.jpg

l_bdbfcb496054fcb23c6a36e6204cbbed.jpg

All photos taken from Hawleywoods barber. Love him or hate him, Donnie can cut hair with the best of em.

As for me, I go to none other than Mr. Ducktail!

Right, lot's of talk about BoxerKen's cut and blending, fade.... Well I got a short one yesterday. In fact I got my barber to shave the back and the sides with a straight razor, not a clippers. So there is NO hair at the edges, period.

Mr. 'H'

Call Me a Cab
Mr. 'H' said:
Right, lot's of talk about BoxerKen's cut and blending, fade.... Well I got a short one yesterday. In fact I got my barber to shave the back and the sides with a straight razor, not a clippers. So there is NO hair at the edges, period.

So here's me, I got this done yesterday. BTW, no scissors used at all on this cut, it was done with a straight razor :)eek:) over comb on top (a Waldorf specialty ;)).

IMG_1502.jpg

IMG_1511.jpg

habberdasher

A-List Customer
My hair's curlier than yours, not even wavy-so consider yourself lucky! Bing Crosby had a great style that your hair is perfect for, including the color, and it's versatile for all decades of that era:
bingcrosbyshow.jpg

Bring this photo to your barber, and don't forget to use pomade, one for hold and one for shine, and get it short on back and around the ears and sideburns.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24