Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hair cuts

habberdasher

A-List Customer
TheModernLife said:
Looking back on this thread I found this, which may be helpful. My hair is really similar to this first picture. My big question is how does one go from "before" to "after" with this type of hair? I know just adding pomade and combing doesn't do it, so what else needs to be done?
Actually, it does. A heavy pomade (I prefer the Red Dax because it stops summer frizziness) combined with a medium or lightweight one to add shine and to make it easier to wash off your hands. But first wet your hair and comb it so it gets straight, then dry it a bit to keep damp (only way it'll work). Then add a dime size of Red Dax with a dimesize of Murray's superlite or any other light one and it'll work. Trust me, I have the same exact hair as in the first picture too.

StetsonHomburg

Practically Family
habberdasher said:
Actually, it does. A heavy pomade (I prefer the Red Dax because it stops summer frizziness) combined with a medium or lightweight one to add shine and to make it easier to wash off your hands. But first wet your hair and comb it so it gets straight, then dry it a bit to keep damp (only way it'll work). Then add a dime size of Red Dax with a dimesize of Murray's superlite or any other light one and it'll work. Trust me, I have the same exact hair as in the first picture too.
I still haven't gotten any pomade yet but before I go off to buy some,
your post just got me wondering one last thing.... My hair is pretty
thick and sometimes can get pretty frizzy, so should what pomade
brand should I use? (I don't know any)

habberdasher

A-List Customer
StetsonHomburg said:
I still haven't gotten any pomade yet but before I go off to buy some,
your post just got me wondering one last thing.... My hair is pretty
thick and sometimes can get pretty frizzy, so should what pomade
brand should I use? (I don't know any)
As said above, Dax in the Red Can (Dax is the brand, "Wave 'n' Groom" is the type) is a great thick pomade for really curly hair like mine, combined with a light to medium weight, such as Murray's Super Light (What I use with Red Dax). It'll only straighten or control your fro if you wet your hair before adding the grease in, combing it with water to temporarily straighten, and towel drying it, keeping it damp, then adding the stuff. I've learned over a few years of use and many different pomade types that you need to dampen and comb your hair first with Charlie Chaplin hair!

StetsonHomburg

Practically Family
habberdasher said:
As said above, Dax in the Red Can (Dax is the brand, "Wave 'n' Groom" is the type) is a great thick pomade for really curly hair like mine, combined with a light to medium weight, such as Murray's Super Light (What I use with Red Dax). It'll only straighten or control your fro if you wet your hair before adding the grease in, combing it with water to temporarily straighten, and towel drying it, keeping it damp, then adding the stuff. I've learned over a few years of use and many different pomade types that you need to dampen and comb your hair first with Charlie Chaplin hair!
Thats great, can you pick them up at any regualar London Drugs or Wal-Mart? or what stores?

habberdasher

A-List Customer
StetsonHomburg said:
Thats great, can you pick them up at any regualar London Drugs or Wal-Mart? or what stores?
Judging that you're out there in Western Canada, I don't know! I myself live in the state of SC, and they don't have either in Walmart or pharmacies. However, I get mine off eBay cheap (cheaper than in a store) with combined shipping from this store online: http://myworld.ebay.com/esthery/ They have both the Red Dax and Murray's Super Light for about $2.00, and the shipping is combined which would probably be reasonable for your location. Trust me, I've looked around and this is the cheapest way online and in stores. You can look in your local stores first, however.

Jan

One of the Regulars
Introductions

First post, might as well make it worth while!

My name is Jan, and I stumbled upon this site, looking for other people who really appreciate mens hair styles. And luckily for me, this place also appreciates everything pre 1970s, which is a good sign!

My style is more on the 50s-60s teenage adolescent type, I guess. I try not to put myself in a category, because I guess I just don't fit into one.

Anyways.

I have an affinity towards 40s-50s mens hair, especially the pompadour. Currently have one myself, growing it out to have a more fuller pompadour.

Don't have any good pictures at the moment. Since I've been doing a little side project called The Rebel Rouser. For the last month and a half or so, I've been trying out different brands of pomades (the actual greasy stuff, not the salon branded stuff.)
So if anyone wants to talk pompadours, I'm now here!

For what it's worth...
Here's a recent picture I took, using DAX wave and groom (red can)

3b93b557.jpg

Not as awesome as djgo-cat-go, but it gets the job done!.

Anyways. Sorry for the long introduction. It's always the most awkward part.

Planning to throw a 1920s party sometime soon with some friends, so hopefully everyone here can help me out with some tips!

habberdasher

A-List Customer
Jan said:
First post, might as well make it worth while!

My name is Jan, and I stumbled upon this site, looking for other people who really appreciate mens hair styles. And luckily for me, this place also appreciates everything pre 1970s, which is a good sign!

My style is more on the 50s-60s teenage adolescent type, I guess. I try not to put myself in a category, because I guess I just don't fit into one.

Anyways.

I have an affinity towards 40s-50s mens hair, especially the pompadour. Currently have one myself, growing it out to have a more fuller pompadour.

Don't have any good pictures at the moment. Since I've been doing a little side project called The Rebel Rouser. For the last month and a half or so, I've been trying out different brands of pomades (the actual greasy stuff, not the salon branded stuff.)
So if anyone wants to talk pompadours, I'm now here!

For what it's worth...
Here's a recent picture I took, using DAX wave and groom (red can)

3b93b557.jpg

Not as awesome as djgo-cat-go, but it gets the job done!.

Anyways. Sorry for the long introduction. It's always the most awkward part.

Planning to throw a 1920s party sometime soon with some friends, so hopefully everyone here can help me out with some tips!
Hey man, I'm into the 50s-60s teen style right now too, preferably Beach Boys and James Dean look, also a preppy style with letterman jackets and canvas sneakers. I use Murray's super lite and the Red Dax, which works better than Murray's superior. Superior is just too heavy and solid, and will easily not spread and mess up. The Red dax is great for summer with curly hair. I try to sculpt a pomp, but the humidity turns back to a fro after about an hour outside!

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
Nick D said:
Here's some pictures, taken at the end of the day.
DSC03718.jpg

I never thought of this before until I recently watched The Man who Came to Dinner. You bear a good resemblance, with the beard & mustache, to Monty Woolley.

Wooley2.JPG

It suits you well.

Cheers!

Dan

habberdasher

A-List Customer
DanielJones said:
I never thought of this before until I recently watched The Man who Came to Dinner. You bear a good resemblance, with the beard & mustache, to Monty Woolley.

Wooley2.JPG

It suits you well.

Cheers!

Dan
Monty Wooley was also in the 1947 hit motion picture, "Night and Day", the stylized faux portrait of Cole Porter starring Cary Grant!

Jan

One of the Regulars
habberdasher said:
Hey man, I'm into the 50s-60s teen style right now too, preferably Beach Boys and James Dean look, also a preppy style with letterman jackets and canvas sneakers. I use Murray's super lite and the Red Dax, which works better than Murray's superior. Superior is just too heavy and solid, and will easily not spread and mess up. The Red dax is great for summer with curly hair. I try to sculpt a pomp, but the humidity turns back to a fro after about an hour outside!

I haven't found the Super Light stuff, around here. So I've mainly stuck with Superior, up until I made an order from a website, and bought various pomades.

You REALLY need to work the pomade in your hands, as if you are freezing cold and desperately need to warm your hands. At that point, the pomade will sort of look like a gel, and be MUCH easier to spread evenly. When you just work it enough to spread it about in your palms, it clumps up.

But you're right about it being stiff... But since I have thick wavey hair, it does help a bit to "tame" my hair.

I've been trying to find a few barber shops around here. To hopefully get a warm authentic vibe of an "old school" barber. But one that I found, was the complete opposite.

They had the look, original chairs from possibly the 40s, or maybe a bit earlier, old fashioned framing around the mirrors, muskets on the wall. I thought I found the place, but when I walked in one day when they were opened, I didn't get a single greeting. All I got was "Do you need something?"

What A disappointment. I just gave up on that place.

But a couple of buddies of mine, recommended some places in San Francisco, but they are more of a salon than anything.

The guy who cuts my hair now, works at the salon my lady is a receptionist at. He is an authentic barber, who unfortunately lost his shop. But he knows hair, and of course, has quite a few stories to tell along. If anyone is up in the Peninsula part of the Bay Area, and wants a good cut, send me a message sometime and I'll throw you the details.

My 50s hair of choice, is a pompadour, but there are other hair cuts I like, but can't find the name of them.

It's an upcomb to a D.A. (I think,) and not quite a pompadour in the front, more of a swooping hole (?)

I'll try and take a still from Blackboard Jungle, and hopefully someone can help identify.

Vic

One of the Regulars
Jan said:
but there are other hair cuts I like, but can't find the name of them.

It's an upcomb to a D.A. (I think,) and not quite a pompadour in the front, more of a swooping hole (?)

I'll try and take a still from Blackboard Jungle, and hopefully someone can help identify.

It's called a jelly roll. See my post on the previous page for a view from atop.

theinterchange

One Too Many
Vic said:
It's called a jelly roll. See my post on the previous page for a view from atop.

One of the most hilarious episodes of Leave it to Beaver revolves around Wally getting a jelly roll. lol

Randy

P.S now that I think about it, another pretty funny episode revolves around Beaver giving himself a haircut. I guess hair was good for a laugh back in the day. Nowadays when it comes to hair it really takes something outlandish to get a rise out of people

Vic

One of the Regulars
theinterchange said:
One of the most hilarious episodes of Leave it to Beaver revolves around Wally getting a jelly roll. lol

Randy

P.S now that I think about it, another pretty funny episode revolves around Beaver giving himself a haircut. I guess hair was good for a laugh back in the day. Nowadays when it comes to hair it really takes something outlandish to get a rise out of people

YES! Poor excuses for jellyrolls, those were (they looked like Wolverine lol )...but I love that episode:)

Jan

One of the Regulars
No, it's not a jelly roll.

I'm not sure what it's called... Maybe it can easily be compared to Wolverine, but pressed against the sides and up at the front. Here are some screen shots, as said.

The back, sort of... He didn't turn around!

Upcomb.jpg

And a slight profile view.

Upcomb2.jpg

Similar to a flat top with fenders, but the top isn't buzzed.

Anyone got a clue?

I sometimes go this route, depending on my mood.

Vic

One of the Regulars
Jan said:
No, it's not a jelly roll.

I'm not sure what it's called... Maybe it can easily be compared to Wolverine, but pressed against the sides and up at the front. Here are some screen shots, as said.

The back, sort of... He didn't turn around!

Similar to a flat top with fenders, but the top isn't buzzed.

Anyone got a clue?

I sometimes go this route, depending on my mood.

The blonde kid in that screenshot seems to have either a bombage or a quiff. However, if you had asked this kid what he called his hairstyle, my guess is that he would've simply told you "duck's ass" and not had any special name for it beyond that.

I agree that it's hard to tell from the pic. The three styles most similar to a flat top with fenders were:
a)The Mac Curtis, which this is NOT
b)The Princeton (not what's called the princeton today, but what was called the princeton in the 50s...names also differed based on geography), which this is NOT.
c) The Detroit, which this is NOT.

It's not the Detroit, b/c the sides on the Detroit went straight back, not up...and the Detroit had the brush cut on top.

It's not the Princeton, b/c that cut was longer at the temples and got shorter toward the middle.

And it's not the Mac Curtis for obvious reason...no flat top.

It looks like the whole thing is just brushed toward the middle (like a jelly roll) and then the front is brushed up and back. This would be the bombage or a quiff (depending if it was made to look very flat across the top or not). The fenders are used, on the bombage, to make the top look really flat and even across. Here's a better pic I found on the web of a bombage.

RTEmagicC_IMG_0059JPG-1.jpg

If, however, this actors hair was not super even across the top, I would call it a quiff. Can't tell which style it is w/o a front view.

Hope this helps... It's not written in stone, just my best guess based on that screen capture (there were a lot of variations on similar haircuts in the 50s! In the States we tend to lump them all together as "Pompadours", and in England they tend to lump them all together as "Quiffs"...but, of course, those were just two of the styles of the 50s)

Vic

One of the Regulars
Jan said:
Here are a couple better pics.

Yep...looking at the bottom pic, that's a bombage (though I'm sure some would just refer to it as a pomp without a part).

And the guy to his left has a Tony Curtis.

And the guy in the top pic (with the eye glasses) has a Detroit (which you don't see too often...Terry "Toad" had one in American Graffiti).

The Good

Call Me a Cab
I thought I would ask about it here, if it isn't too off the topic.

What exactly is Clint Eastwood's hairstyle in The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly? Is it a type of pompadour? Someone on another board (Sergio Leone forum) has described his hair-do as looking James Dean-esque...

http://whatmikeylikes.com/eastwoodimage/107sml.jpg

http://users.ox.ac.uk/~ball0888/oxfordopen/clint2.jpg

Not from the film, but here's another shot of his hair styled similar to hatless scenes as "The Good."

http://www.vhcorner.com/images/clinteastwood1.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24