Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hair cuts

Nick D

Call Me a Cab
Here's some pictures, taken at the end of the day.

DSC03720.jpg

DSC03719.jpg

DSC03718.jpg

Chainsaw

Suspended
Nick D said:
I got my hair cut again yesterday, the third time since I started trying for a vintage haircut. I go to the same place every time, but end up with a different person every time, too. This time the girl was obviously just out of beauty school and seemed very nervous. Partly, I think, because I had asked for something not common, and also she didn't seem too sure how to deal with where hairline and beard meet (she did just fine, though). It didn't help that her boss was hovering. But despite her apparent nervousness, she gave me the best cut yet, and she's the first one who actually left it alone on top when I asked her to. It's too bad I never know who's going to be in, otherwise I'd ask for her every time.

Hey Nick, when you find a good barber, ( or hairstylist if your towns lacking,) get his/her name and number. Make appointments directly with the person. Most hairstylists, (maybe not barbers) will come to your house, and do you for about 20 bucks. Get a card at least though to keep it consistent.

Soda Jerk

New in Town
I'd like to get a haircut like the ones a lot of gangsters seem to sport in old 30s mugshot photos like this guy:

hymie_weiss_myalcaponemuseum_com.jpeg

Are there any clear high quality photographs of a haircut like that, or directions on how to do it? I cut my own hair. Is it just a matter of shaving the sides and back? How high up do I shave the sides? Does it slant downward as you go from the sides to the back or is it level all the way around? And what about the bottom, some people seems to shave the bottom part really close, and others don't. And if so, how much of that is shaved?

StetsonHomburg

Practically Family
Question

Hi,

I have a question on hat hair,
I do my hair everyday, and then after ten
minutes of wearing a hat I have a big crease
in my hairand then when I try to fix it with
my pocket comb the my hair goes all puffy,
any way to fix it? shakeshead

Johnny Flatfoot

New in Town
The guys I see in old pictures have what I would call a "Low Fade." I get it sometimes, it's basically when the barber shaves the edges down to the skin (sometimes he goes over it with a razor) and then tapers it up to full length. If you get a low fade and grow the top out, you should be able to figure something out.

habberdasher

A-List Customer
StetsonHomburg said:
Hi,

I have a question on hat hair,
I do my hair everyday, and then after ten
minutes of wearing a hat I have a big crease
in my hairand then when I try to fix it with
my pocket comb the my hair goes all puffy,
any way to fix it? shakeshead
Hey use more pomade I'd have the same problem with afro hair and even without a hat my hair turns way to thick and curly to comb and without pomade at hand, you have to live with it. Add thick stuff like Red dax or Murray's superior.

habberdasher

A-List Customer
Soda Jerk said:
I'd like to get a haircut like the ones a lot of gangsters seem to sport in old 30s mugshot photos like this guy:

hymie_weiss_myalcaponemuseum_com.jpeg

Are there any clear high quality photographs of a haircut like that, or directions on how to do it? I cut my own hair. Is it just a matter of shaving the sides and back? How high up do I shave the sides? Does it slant downward as you go from the sides to the back or is it level all the way around? And what about the bottom, some people seems to shave the bottom part really close, and others don't. And if so, how much of that is shaved?
I get the same ridiculous cut! Get a 1 around ears, sideburns and back, grow top out to long enough to comb, and TAPER and BLEND to the long length at top from the short 1 on bottom. If you don't it'll end up like a bowl cut, which happened with me first time! Stress the point of blending!

StetsonHomburg

Practically Family
habberdasher said:
Hey use more pomade I'd have the same problem with afro hair and even without a hat my hair turns way to thick and curly to comb and without pomade at hand, you have to live with it. Add thick stuff like Red dax or Murray's superior.
Thanks, I actually don't use pomade but I might give it a try!
My only concern is that because pomade dosen't dry and I
am wondering if when I wear a hat would that ruin the interior
lining of my good hats? (Because I think the interior of a hat
is just as important! ;) )

Edit: :eek: :rage: :eek: *yucky* I just researched pomade and I found
something very troubling! http://www.skincarephysicians.com/acnenet/pomadeacne.html ...
Pomade acne.... ! So I probably won't be using it! Is there any other
product?

habberdasher

A-List Customer
StetsonHomburg said:
Thanks, I actually don't use pomade but I might give it a try!
My only concern is that because pomade dosen't dry and I
am wondering if when I wear a hat would that ruin the interior
lining of my good hats? (Because I think the interior of a hat
is just as important! ;) )

Edit: :eek: :rage: :eek: *yucky* I just researched pomade and I found
something very troubling! http://www.skincarephysicians.com/acnenet/pomadeacne.html ...
Pomade acne.... ! So I probably won't be using it! Is there any other
product?
No the pomade acne ain't real I use it and I'm a teenager don't get any around my scalp. The interior of the hat won't get ruined pomade doesn't really spread it's a myth it's not dry and crackly like gel but it just makes hair smoother and softer, not spreading grease everywhere and dripping. My hats don't get ruined and everyone till the 60s wore pomade and hats!

Flat Foot Floey

My Mail is Forwarded Here
:) Nice. Looks a bit like Brian Setzer. Do you put pomade in in? If you didn't before ...give it a try.
I am sure there are Afro Shops in Berlin where you could buy some for 4 or 5 euro. The hairstyle seems ideal for it.

StetsonHomburg

Practically Family
habberdasher said:
No the pomade acne ain't real I use it and I'm a teenager don't get any around my scalp. The interior of the hat won't get ruined pomade doesn't really spread it's a myth it's not dry and crackly like gel but it just makes hair smoother and softer, not spreading grease everywhere and dripping. My hats don't get ruined and everyone till the 60s wore pomade and hats!
Well I am still a bit skeptical but I'll give it a shot [huh]

OldSoul

Familiar Face
When I use to run with a flat top and then with longer, combed back hair, I used many brands of pomade (always searching for the best product you know) and never had any problems with acne. I quit using pomade about a year ago, mainly because I'm a lazy fellow and like to have a haircut that requires zero attention when I get out of bed in the morning. Ceaser it is!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24