Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hair cuts

Jan

One of the Regulars
Yeah, I have pin straight hair, although very thick and heavy, and it is quite a challenge to keep it from just falling forward. Murry's Original works pretty well though.

Are you talking to me or Blondie? I use Murray's

Originally intended for The Good. But good to know what you use as well. Good to know what everyone is using!

I'm not sure if it is technically "pomade," per se. It's Dax Wave and Groom, a hair wax. It's pretty hard stuff in the container, but it's great as far as hold is concerned.

Indeed a pomade. Depending on where you live, it's not too hard in the tin (weather effects it's consistency. Hot/Cold.)

One of my favorites that I use pretty much daily.

The differences between hair waxes and pomades are pretty noticeable. Waxes are somewhat flaky when you scoop some out. And applies pretty flaky as well, not smooth or "greasy" like pomade.

I quote greasy cuz simply, not all pomades are greasy.

The Good

Call Me a Cab
Alright, is this an improvement of the sides? I tried taking your suggestion. For the record, I only used Brylcreem today, but I'm positive I could achieve the same effect using Dax as well:

Photoon2010-10-23at1234.jpg

brylcreem boy

One of the Regulars
Lookin sharp JB!! Yeah the part can be tricky to get straight every time. My barber used to cut mine to where could always find the part easily every time. I have went back to slicking min straight back again... here's apic from my trip to the barber saturday... he used some Sweet Georgia Brown water soluble in the purple can- the stuff really smells good and left a really nice shine
RoyalCrownBarbers.jpg

The Good

Call Me a Cab
Just curious, how do most of you feel about sideburns? Do you think they're cool, or do you dislike them? I like 'em, myself, and I'm currently sporting sideburns that are about the length of my earlobes, on the long side. I understand that they aren't for everyone though.

OldSoul

Familiar Face
I've had my 'burns since I was 14, so ten year now so I guess that makes me a fan! Having recently come to terms with the fact that I will not have my hair forever ( :( ) I've decided to grow a beard to see how it suits me.

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
I can't grow sideburns, but they can be cool. They can be tacky too. It depends on the haircut, the sideburns, and the face. But they can definitely look good.

dwebber18

One of the Regulars
As for sideburns, mine don't quite come down to my ear lobes. I think everyone needs atleast a little side burn, when I see people with no side burns I think they look a little funny. But I'm sure its just personal preference on my part.

Bruce Wayne

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Ha anyone ever used this?

07006602792_450x450_a.jpg

I am almost out of the Axe pomade that I regularly use & saw this at Sally's Beauty Supply yesterday when I went there to pick up some pocket combs. I really like the Axe that I have been using. It is relativly inexpensive, but half way thru the day I have to run a wet comb thru my hair.

Thanx!!!
Charlie

dwebber18

One of the Regulars
Looks like regular gel in a jar instead of a bottle. That could be good or bad depending on how it is, but I'm sorry I've never used it.

Dixon Cannon

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Ok, it's time for me to post some pics of my haircut! I love what my barber, Masha, does as a '40's inspired look.
She is Russian and has a real feel for it. Only only get it cut twice a year as it look good new and short as well as
longer and tattered. It's long on top and short back and sides. When it's new it kind of looks like 'Dagwood Bumstead'!!

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
Ha anyone ever used this?

07006602792_450x450_a.jpg

I am almost out of the Axe pomade that I regularly use & saw this at Sally's Beauty Supply yesterday when I went there to pick up some pocket combs. I really like the Axe that I have been using. It is relativly inexpensive, but half way thru the day I have to run a wet comb thru my hair.

Thanx!!!
Charlie

My old barber used to use this. It is not bad, but definitely crunchy and not like pomade.

dwebber18

One of the Regulars
Charlie, I've been using the American Crew Pomade for a few years, and it was nice but got a bit crunchy. I had shorter hair so this wasn't an issue, I have then switched to American Crew Fiber which is a stiffer hold but doesn't seem to get crunchy or flake. Worked well but held weird now that I'm growing my hair out. I've been using Royal Crown for the last week and while it's quite different than anything else I've used I'm starting to get the hang of it and have been enjoying it so far. It's also $2 for a jar, so its about as cheap as it gets. Might be something to try and if you don't like it you haven't lost much. I did try the 3 different Axe pomades in samples, and thought they were alright but I liked the American Crew better. The Royal Crown and things like that are just different and you have to get used to how they work and how to use them. Still figuring it out for myself.

The Good

Call Me a Cab
I don't have any pictures of myself yet, but I went to the barber today, and got a much needed haircut. I walked into the place looking like one of the Beatles (I didn't style my hair beforehand), and afterward, I dare say I looked a bit more like James Bond. There was a neat reference paper with pictures of hairstyles on it (as shown in the one below), and I went for "The Professional."

6a00e55127ad35883301348584a710970c-800wi

shortbow

Practically Family
Best example I've seen of the old time 'cut is in "Treasure of the Sierra Madre."

There's a scene where Bogart is in the barber shop and you get a real good look all 'round of the generic haircut of the period. If you could get the movie online or something and capture a still or two and take that to your barber....

repeatclicks

Practically Family
You need to comb the sides back instead of straight down. The cut looks lifeless otherwise. Maybe ask your barber / stylist to taper the sides a bit as well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner