Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hair cuts

The Good

Call Me a Cab
Alright, I've tried a little bit (maybe not enough) of Eau de Quinine, the Pinaud/Clubman product I had mentioned earlier. I didn't use anything else, either. It's greaseless and not really slick, but although you can't really see it in the photo, there is a little shine in it. The hold isn't much either, and don't expect it to be like Brylcreem in this regard. I do have long hair on top though, so it does take quite a lot of any product to hold it down completely. Something like this should also be good for shorter hair. At the least, it allowed me to style my fly-away hair in place (especially after it's dry from the shower, having used shampoo), but I couldn't exactly do a "quiff" in the front, it leaves my hair flat rather than adding volume to it.

Photoon2011-07-21at1812.jpg

One thing I like about Eau de Quinine is the scent, which reminds me of various colognes I've tried in the past. For me right now, this should fill that role also. I'm not sure how to describe it, other than the standard "barbershop smell." I think this should be a good product, especially if I use it with something else for more hold.

Scotus

One of the Regulars
most men tend not to care much about their hair, so barbers quickly learn that as long as they don't totally botch a haircut, whatever they do will be fine. Also, it seems to me that more and more barbers go into the field because they have to, not because they want to.

My advice: if you want a good haircut of any type, find someone with the cut you want and get a recommendation.

So much wisdom and insight in this. You can find women who cut hair well, especially at places that mainly to men's hair; e.g., Great Clips. The important thing, as you say, is to find someone who cuts your hair properly.

ryanc

Familiar Face
well im a hairdresser in fort worth texas wich i should and about to transfer into barbering because i love and do more pre 60s cuts, fades. while i typically like a true mid fade. i like that cut to and do alot of those on men who cant quite get use to a close fade. just tell the barber or whoever you go to that you just want it squared on the sides and back at about a number 2 to 3 if he uses gaurds on his clippers like generally most barbers do now adays. now depends on the gent at that time of the era some kept it really long on top, mostly in the front , or kept it shorter on top. depends on what you want. now in that picture its about 2 to 3 inches longer in the front than the crown. so the crown would be shorter than the front hairline. that way you have more options for styling. the shorter in the front you go the only thing that is easily dont is just slicking it straight back. but keep it longer in the front so you can be more universal. if i were you say you want it tight around the edges but you want to still see your hairline all the way around. well hope thats a little more helpful. its easier to do it than to tell people how to do it! post a pic when you get it!

ryanc

Familiar Face
that cuts easy to do i did it on a guy the other day, other than it was a more mid fade than that and it was straight from skin, try layrites superhold guys and if you want a wave/pomp in the front just ask me and ill tell you how, and pretty much all pomade is easier by liquifying it by heating it up with the hair dryer or if its tin stick it on a stove

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
I'm hoping the latest Marvel film, Captain America will bring about some resurgence of WWII-era haircut styles for men. Love the cut Chris Evans had in the film, along with Bucky Barnes, Henry (Howard?) Stark, and many of the US Army guys.

The Good

Call Me a Cab
Reg Traviss does have a cool haircut; very classic. It's too close of a shave on the sides than how I would dare to have my haircut though. While the style looks good on him, I'd be worried that having my hair cut that much tapered would remind people of Nazis, an unfortunate association with some period hairstyles. The way I got my haircut done last time was somewhat similar to his, but less tapered on the sides.

ryanc

Familiar Face
ya my fade is a skind fade at the bottom, and ive gotten i look like a nazi hahah, more less tho i do get 40s more thank god. and at least my clients get the same reaction

ryanc

Familiar Face
looks really good now the next time you go have them fade it closer only at the edges, like the side burns and nape wich is your hairline

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner