Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hair cuts

The Good

Call Me a Cab
Thank you! Next time, I think I'll just ask for the same cut, and keep the fringe growing for a while longer. I figure it can make for a nice big pompadour.

Belladonna_dea

Familiar Face
I think the film Public Enemies shows some good men and women haircuts. I know you shouldn't get all your info from movies but it seems lately they've been doing a better, more accurate job. :)

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
Photoon10-26-11at1234AM2.jpg

Got my haircut today. I asked for the Fedora Lounge Standard (short sides and back, long enough on top to slick back) and my barber got confused and cut it really short. The whitewalls are great, but the top is a lot shorter than I wanted. Oh well, it will grow.

brylcreem boy

One of the Regulars

Got my haircut today. I asked for the Fedora Lounge Standard (short sides and back, long enough on top to slick back) and my barber got confused and cut it really short. The whitewalls are great, but the top is a lot shorter than I wanted. Oh well, it will grow.

Yeps, sometimes its hard to find a barber who understands what you want. Especially when asking for a more classic old school haircut. It looks like you could pull of a side part pretty well, as you have a really good hairline. I just found a good barber again, (now that I'm about to move away in a few weeks). Thats how it goes i guess. I just went in and asked for a 1950's business man classic tapercut, clean outline around the ears, short taper in back down low and leave top longer for a clean side part that I could slick back, I also took a picture like on my Avatar/Profile so he would know I wanted a retro style. Hopefully he gets it right next time, Good Luck.

Twill

One of the Regulars

It still looks great, despite not being what you wanted.

I had been growing the top my my hair out for months, especially the front (to hold the slick-back...uh... back), and a couple of haircuts ago, my hair guy chopped the front the same length as the middle of the top (so all the top of my hair was the same length instead of tapering it shorter to the back), man it was frustrating. The weird thing is that this guy had been cutting my hair the same for a few months now.

It'll grow back before you know it.

Scotus

One of the Regulars
Well, keep telling yourself, "It'll grow out. It'll grow out..." :) You're young and have a great head of hair, but yes, it does need to be longer on top for a more classic look, IMO.

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
I'm really rather envious of guys like you with a head full of straight hair. Even when I was younger, a haircut like this wouldn't have worked for me as my hair was wavy/curly. Now, there's not much left on top so I just buzz it.

FedoraFan112390

Practically Family
I've never understood shaving your head if you're bald. To me, if you're bald and you keep what's left, you're basically declaring: "Yeah, I'm bald. And?" There's a sort of quiet, but bold dignity to it. To me shaving one's head feels like an effort to hide the fact that you're bald. I say this as a man who is likely going bald going by the number of hairs turning up whenever I run my hand through my hair, and genetics.

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
For me, buzzing (not shaving) my head is a maintenance reducer. I do it once a week. There is some hair, it looks neat, doesn't need any sort of combing, and it does de-emphasize the thinness on top a bit. To me, that's all win-win.

Shaving is actually more labor intensive because it has to be done daily.

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
I'm really rather envious of guys like you with a head full of straight hair. Even when I was younger, a haircut like this wouldn't have worked for me as my hair was wavy/curly. Now, there's not much left on top so I just buzz it.

I hate straight hair. I want to have the classic 30s/40s wave (like all the movie stars). It is just not possible.

ryanc

Familiar Face
even if you have straight hair you can do it. but i has to be long enough on top. and depends on how wet you leave it when you put your pomade in. i have some asain clients that has it and no one has straighter hair than aisans

Twill

One of the Regulars
I hate straight hair. I want to have the classic 30s/40s wave (like all the movie stars). It is just not possible.

Yes, me too. I have very fine, very straight, limp hair. I wish I had some body to it. Luckily I have a lot of it, so I can manage some sort of style.

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
even if you have straight hair you can do it. but i has to be long enough on top. and depends on how wet you leave it when you put your pomade in. i have some asain clients that has it and no one has straighter hair than aisans

I generally get my haircut best at Korean barbershops. They know what to do with my hair.

Scotus

One of the Regulars
I've never understood shaving your head if you're bald. To me, if you're bald and you keep what's left, you're basically declaring: "Yeah, I'm bald. And?" There's a sort of quiet, but bold dignity to it. To me shaving one's head feels like an effort to hide the fact that you're bald. I say this as a man who is likely going bald going by the number of hairs turning up whenever I run my hand through my hair, and genetics.

I very much agree!

Twill

One of the Regulars

I disagree. I see it as just pure aesthetics. It looks a bit weird to have nothing/thinning on top and thick poofy hair on the sides and back of your head. Here at the FL, we tend to do the opposite, long on top with close sides. Why? Because it's a classic style that looks better aesthetically with the human head. It makes your face look longer, and that's pleasing to the eye. Why should that change because you're loosing some on top?

brylcreem boy

One of the Regulars
Well I just got a new cut as I am expecting to start a new job in 2 weeks. I have also been retro inspired and since I will be in sales I need to look more professional/businesslike and I shed the Pompadour recently. This is the exact style I am sporting with a little less product for work days, so my hair doesn't look plastered, what do you guys think is this too stiff looking for the working world?? ( my Iphone camera is not working or I would take my pic) but its the exact same style.
pomp070-1.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner