Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hair cuts

The Good

Call Me a Cab
Thanks. It's been nearly a year since I've gradually worked my way to growing the front and top longer, although now I'm at a point where I might want to maintain the length rather than let it grow down any further. The longest strands come down directly above the mouth.

On another note, I think some girls already like this style on guys, as this look has basically come back in fashion a bit anyway. I'm pretty sure these recent period films and TV shows have something to do with it.

The Good

Call Me a Cab
^ Thank you. The odd thing about the length of my hair now, since the last half of a year, is that it's so long down the front, yet it makes doing a pompadour more difficult than it used to be. I would have to apply a lot of grease and wax in my hair for it to hold into that style for the whole day.

J. B. I've been reading your posts about your cuts since you first started posting here. You're not afraid to change it up and work to get to where you want to be as far as 'your' style. Good on ya.

MisterGrey

Practically Family
My own two cents on the balding issue:

I don't really see shaving hair off as somehow trying to "hide" baldness-- it seems just the opposite, as a mater of fact: An embracing of the inevitable. Perhaps it is not the desired cut for all bald or balding men, but I personally think that it is a good transition 'do for that period during which the hair has begun to thin but is not yet thin enough to be aesthetically pleasing. In my own case, I have a nice thick donut, with a thin strip of hair running across the top of my head; the back of my head is completely bald (think a monk's tonsure); even though I'm 26, I would embrace this look if not for one small thing.

Right above my forehead, there is a small "island" of hair with a bald strip running up the middle and small patches missing on either side. If I allow this to grow in, I look like a bald man with a yin-yang symbol in the middle of his head. As you can probably guess, this is not a look that appeals to me. So I've chosen to go with an all-over clipper cut, switching it up between a #1 and a #2. This leaves the "donut" visible but essentially eliminates the visibility of the thin hair in the middle and the "island". I've experimented with simply shaving off the "island" with a straight razor and letting the rest grow out, but for some reason it leaves me feeling like people are looking at me strangely.

And, I have at least one GE icon to look to for using clippers on a balding pate:

ike.jpg

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
Had a great haircut today from DiDi & Smiling John's traditional Barber Shop & Salon. Check out their website and their facebook. If you're anywhere near York, PA, I'd check them out. Great folks. Great haircuts!

382581_2857588444705_1409441092_3177811_1287935760_n.jpg

IMG_8713.jpg

IMG_8705.jpg

IMG_8701.jpg

IMG_8655.jpg

Last edited:

Scotus

One of the Regulars
Had a great haircut today from DiDi & Smiling John's traditional Barber Shop & Salon. Check out their website and their facebook. If you're anywhere near York, PA, I'd check them out. Great folks. Great haircuts!

382581_2857588444705_1409441092_3177811_1287935760_n.jpg

Wow! That's quite a difference. The first photo reminds me of a 19th century English author, while the 'after' is quite sleek and sophisticated. Well done on their part! Of course, your photos are great too!

Fidena

One of the Regulars
Hey, do you guys know what type of pomade they used prior to the "wet-head" look? I see it on shorpy of 00's to the early 20's. They're using pomade of some sort, but it's not shiny, and in some cases it even looks dry. I've heard bee-wax from some sources.

Fidena

One of the Regulars
Macassar oil has a notorious tendency to soil everything it comes into contact with. If you want to use it, be prepared to install some of these in your house: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antimacassar
And, by the way, macassar oil gives glossy hair.

Heh, yeah. Good thing it seems like nobody has produced it for almost a century. I've still got a hunch it's beeswax. Can't imagine beeswax being too sheeny.

Last edited:

Qirrel

Practically Family
Heh, yeah. Good thing it seems like nobody has produced it for almost a century. I've still got a hunch it's beeswax. Can't imagine beeswax being too sheeny.

I have heard beeswax mentioned as well. It does dry up to a matte look like you describe (although I haven't tried putting it in my hair). One would have to mix it out with some oil or other to make it the right consistency. Or perhaps make an emulsion with water.

The Good

Call Me a Cab
Has anybody run across this poster somewhere online before? Is there a way to see the whole poster? I think up top it has "early years" and that makes me think this isn't showing the whole picture. It'd be interesting to see that, as well as the stuff from after 1966.

menshistoricalhair1.gif

androiden

New in Town
My cut as of a few months ago

foto005aaSmall.jpg

Im cutting it again tomorrow because it looks like a mess right now, thinking about going more like Di Caprio in J. Edgar, but with a little more lenght on top

jedgar-leo-dicaprio6.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ