Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hair cuts

Twill

One of the Regulars
Well I just got a new cut as I am expecting to start a new job in 2 weeks. I have also been retro inspired and since I will be in sales I need to look more professional/businesslike and I shed the Pompadour recently. This is the exact style I am sporting with a little less product for work days, so my hair doesn't look plastered, what do you guys think is this too stiff looking for the working world?? ( my Iphone camera is not working or I would take my pic) but its the exact same style.
pomp070-1.jpg

Can't get more 'businessman' than a businessman's cut. I like it. Congratulations and good luck with your new job.

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
I disagree. I see it as just pure aesthetics. It looks a bit weird to have nothing/thinning on top and thick poofy hair on the sides and back of your head. Here at the FL, we tend to do the opposite, long on top with close sides. Why? Because it's a classic style that looks better aesthetically with the human head. It makes your face look longer, and that's pleasing to the eye. Why should that change because you're loosing some on top?

And besides, who wants to look like Larry?

When I was working in the public eye, I wore my hair like my Avatar, with the pomp toned down, but plenty of pomade. Customers responded positively to it and always said I looked very professional, so I don't think you have anything to worry about.

Well I just got a new cut as I am expecting to start a new job in 2 weeks. I have also been retro inspired and since I will be in sales I need to look more professional/businesslike and I shed the Pompadour recently. This is the exact style I am sporting with a little less product for work days, so my hair doesn't look plastered, what do you guys think is this too stiff looking for the working world?? ( my Iphone camera is not working or I would take my pic) but its the exact same style.

Scotus

One of the Regulars
I don't think the suggestion was to have "poofy hair on the sides and back," but rather to work with what you have. Just like today, men in the 30s/40s also had thinning hair. They worked with what they had, and I believe that is what is being suggested.

Think... Poirot! :)

I disagree. I see it as just pure aesthetics. It looks a bit weird to have nothing/thinning on top and thick poofy hair on the sides and back of your head. Here at the FL, we tend to do the opposite, long on top with close sides. Why? Because it's a classic style that looks better aesthetically with the human head. It makes your face look longer, and that's pleasing to the eye. Why should that change because you're loosing some on top?

brylcreem boy

One of the Regulars
Thanks, I appreciate the compliment. This style is a whole lot easier to maintain than the pompadour. I have been using a product called Groom and Clean, it washes out clean with water, does not leave build up, and you can recomb it as needed and does not dry up like gell does when you recomb. When I went back to meet my managers manager, he actually ran into me in the bathroom and commented how professional my cut looked and that he wished more guys would sport such a professional look. I have also had 3 or 4 guys actually aske me where I got the cut and what kind of product i use

brylcreem boy

One of the Regulars
Has anyone had any luck finding 1940's, 50's pics in the LIFE archive?? I have been searching without alot of success to study 1940's and 1950's photo's as I am looking to find a good photo for my barber so he gets my haircut more period correct to the styles of that era, trying to find those pics of guys with the full hairstyles that taper sharply above the ears and on the nape of the neck and have a nice part on top... Their used to be a really nice collection out there someone posted but I cannot find it.

Kirk H.

One Too Many
Same here. Except Curly's got more on top than either me or Larry.

Me too. But for the past few years I have been sporting Tely or Kojak style. I never have a bad hair day now or wory about hat head :)

I have buzzed it close before but I actually found that to be more labor and time consuming than shaving it. I shave my face daily and it takes about two additional minutes to scrape the grape using a Head Blade razor. Bald is bald no matter how you keep what is remaining. I think it is a matter of personal preference.

Last edited:

TrenchGuy

One of the Regulars
I visited my barber yesterday and got myself a nice crewcut, really like it.

Short hair is best hair, anyone think the same? Stylish, but still doesn't get in your eyes or anything.

Scotus

One of the Regulars
Well, you could just get a butch or crew cut, and have no poof. And you only have to deal with your hair once a week or month, and you can cut it yourself if you wish. So I agree that the Kojak look boils down to trying to hide baldness, not in the sense of really thinking you're fooling anyone, but in the sense of trying to make it less apparent. It also seems to encourage the growth of goatees for some reason, which leads to the overall ex-con or biker look. Next thing you know you wake up with the Mike Tyson face tattoo. It's a slippery slope to a disreputable look. Just say No to Kojak! Wear Art Fawcett hats to hide your baldness instead.

LOL!!! Yes, I agree! :D Well said. That's why we have hats. Also (again), as far as "poofy hair," I assume everyone in the Lounge has heard of hair product. Getting up and not having to do anything with your hair in the morning is not some special virtue for which you get points. It's a good thing most people don't take the "don't have to do anything with it" approach to teeth; we'd all have dentures! :)

Twill

One of the Regulars
I would never assume to know why a person chooses one look over another, or to think that I have any right to. There is no "one size fits all" hair style for balding men.

FedoraFan112390

Practically Family
lyndonjohnsonrichardnix.jpg

Dean_Rusk,_Lyndon_B._Johnson_and_Robert_McNamara_in_Cabinet_Room_meeting_February_1968.jpg

188527-richard-nixon.jpg

Is there a name for the style Nixon and Ford have here? It seems to have been very popular in the Golden Era up to around the 80s and not just with politicians: It seems to be long on the top and sides (long enough that if not combed or held it in place it would've hung over their ears and foreheads), and then layered to short in the back, but all slicked back so as to appear short. I've tried getting this exact haircut by my barber but they always cut too much off on the sides or the top. Also, what could be used to keep the hair slicked down? I've read LBJ used Sta-Comb but I don't think that's around now. And I don't know what Nixon used.

Last edited:

The Good

Call Me a Cab
Isn't that called a businessman's cut?

I think so, the "businessman's cut" is pretty much any sort of haircut of about that length parted or combed back.

Public+Enemies+Johnny+Depp_1642_19570456_0_0_7036880_300.jpg

I showed the above photo to my barber, and although I ask for my bangs hanging down to the tip of my nose, he seems to think that Depp's hair length in that picture is right up to around his eyes instead, as if it were just combed straight down the side, rather than "curled" around the side to cause that look. I guess it didn't help to have just a black and white version of the picture, which may have obscured it. Anyway, I think next time I'll show him one of these pictures to better illustrate the length of what I'm going for:

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_7U_QxAcENHw/TTcw0zgnARI/AAAAAAAAAVE/_Y0Q36-DiIo/s1600/Public+Enemies.jpg

http://www.granateseed.com/futilepodcast/wp-content/uploads/public_enemies064.jpg

Right now, my cut's accurate to the above photos, and he did a good job on it all. This time, I even went as far as to get rid of my sideburns to get that fade. One thing I've noticed, is no more itchiness on the side.

Last edited:

The Good

Call Me a Cab
OK, here are a few examples of my recent cut, taken six days later:

A little bit windswept from working outside:

http://i792.photobucket.com/albums/yy208/TheAntiquarian/Photoon2011-12-08at16193.jpg

http://i792.photobucket.com/albums/yy208/TheAntiquarian/Photoon2011-12-08at16182.jpg

http://i792.photobucket.com/albums/yy208/TheAntiquarian/Photoon2011-12-08at16173.jpg

Combed more neatly:

http://i792.photobucket.com/albums/yy208/TheAntiquarian/Photoon2011-12-08at1624.jpg

http://i792.photobucket.com/albums/yy208/TheAntiquarian/Photoon2011-12-08at16252.jpg

I use a little bit of Dax Wave and Groom and Royal Crown Pomade. I think I'll get the same exact cut next time, but maybe remove an inch off the front as it's a little long.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner