Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hair cuts

gobler

One of the Regulars
I just went for a hair cut today and had a difficult time discribing a 30"s style hair. With all of threads about clothing and other attire I would like to start one for the "look". Hair cuts and facial hair. How did gentalmen of the past wear there hair? So I think MattDeckerd who get's his cut can start us off with some Photos?

Cheers,
Jeff

MK

Founder
Staff member
Bartender
Here is a good referrence photo of hairstyles of the period:

vcvg20.jpg

Pyroxene

One of the Regulars
They were all under hat. How you tell?

Personally, I think it was just short on the back and sides. Off the ears, trim the sideburns and parted either on the right or left.

Until the 1960's the short-back-and-sides was the basic haircut of the twentieth century. Remember when the Beatles came out and they were considered so "long haired"

Some small town barbers are the best. Some include a shave and this one I used to visit gave a quick massage on your back before letting you get up from your chair. It was first class all the way. And, "the guys" would sit and discuss guns, politics, war, farming, etc.

A great place to visit in London is D.R. Harris & Co. who manufactures perfumes and lotion. I am frustrated with the men's hair care products that are only found in the states. Too much technology for my tastes.

I am, however, greatful that Brylcreem and Hair Oil are not the trend. It must have ruined some good fedoras.

I am getting a G.B. Kent & Sons brush for the holidays. Very expensive but very long lasting and perfect for keeping that haircut in check.

Cheers,
Pyro.

Dalexs

Practically Family
A #5 trimmer blade over the top, #4 around the crown, #3 on the sides with a trim across the sideburns, is what I ask for now and get the exact cut every time.

In Portland, these guys just opened a small chain of
'The Barber Shop for Men" which was staffed by mostly former Supercut people. The shops were outfitted with an all guys theme.

The seats were repros of old style barber chairs complete with ashtrays built in.

Big screen tv. And the piece de resistance', about a 5 minute neck shoulder massage! The girls were well tipped in that place.

Then, I moved. :cry:

Bogie1943

Practically Family
Well, here is my biggest problem, getting the back of my hair to lay down properly. Even with that vintage hair treatment MK got my hooked on, sometimes it just won't stay down. Just a couple hairs lumped together like to stick up a bit. I wish I knew some of the combing techniques those guys used to get their hair just right.:cool2:

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
knew some of the combing techniques those guys used to get their hair just right.

Rule #1: always carry a pocket comb.

There are alot of hair goos out there, MK likes Royal crown.
I recently have been using Brilliantine in the jar... Consistancy of vasaline.
untitled-vi.jpg

Royal crown is thicker.
before then I was using Clear mineral oil that you can buy at the Supermarket, keeps the hair slick and managable, I go back to that stuff once in a while, it just make your hair heavier. You can get all of these at Savon.

My hair cut is what most would call a jitterbug cut. Alot of dancers sported it. the part is much higher up. Parted on the left and long all the way to the right where it ends in a shelf cut, same as on the left... just dead ends.

If you want this style and have been getting an even cut throughout the top in the past, just tell them to let the top grow (don't even go near it) and give the sides a #2 or #3 shave (white walls) let the hair on the top grow... and grow... and just let the barber cut what dangles about halfway down the side of your head, a straight cut. The back is tricky... you don't wan't it to look like a bowl cut so tell them to either taper the back or cut it lower than the sides.

I have always wanted the Jeff Bridges Preston Tucker style since I was a kid.

This is one style of cut from the old days, and you have to be specific in telling the barber what not to do.

I will try to post more pics, vintage and new when I have a chance. at the moment I am moving and will be on line sporaticly for the next few weeks.
this pic will have to do for now.

this is my left side (the side I part my hair on). See how it has a shelf across.
dancing-vi.jpg

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
just comb it back
bit gooey. Long all the way across the top to give it a shine. these guys don't have the white walls, nor the shelf... just all combed straight back, and a bit shorter on the sides
03.jpg
25.jpg
079.jpg

Jonathan Stout (another dancer) sports this style cut with a bit less wave. I'll have to ask him for instructions.
041.jpg

Stout below
DSC03724.jpg

DSC03713.jpg

For those that are thining on top... keep it short on the sides and don't comb it over (ads 10 years), just keep it going back.
077.jpg

Or you can just shave it all off like this
scott_pops_jake_charlotte-vi.jpg

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
Those fellas all togged to the bricks could make shinny hair look good. For me that look is all wet.

Don't have to have slimed up hair to be togged to the bricks.
slicking it up may have worked well for Cab Calloway and the guys above,
but Short dry and groomed work just as well. I will find some of those shots when I have a chance.

With the lengh of my hair on top, if I don't keep it slick it looks like a mushroom.

How do you like your doo?

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
Pyro said--
I am getting a G.B. Kent & Sons brush for the holidays. Very expensive but very long lasting and perfect for keeping that haircut in check.

I have been eyeballing those brushes for years. The style is what they used in the 20's to get that patent leather look when using Pomade. Later the brushes were used in concert with hair oils when the kids wanted the dressy look without as much perfection.

I have a cheap Military brush from Savon, but nothing beats the real deal.

tell me how you like it.

Kittlemeier

New in Town
I actually bought my own clippers. Every April or so I use a #6 guard on top tapered to a #4 on the sides and back, keep it that way until September, let it grow, then start over in April. I only get it cut in Fall/Winter if I have some kind of event to attend and then I only trim the sides and back to a #6 and leave the top(like the Show us your Suits thread pic). K

Pyroxene

One of the Regulars
Originally posted by Pyroxene

Well I didn't get one during the holidays but was lucky enough to have someone buy one when they were in England.

kent_brush1.jpg

The bristles are very stiff and really massage the scalp. These are some of the finest brushes in the world. The small leaflet enclosed says, "Used and cared for properly, a Kent hairbrush will care for your hair indefinitely."

This is an extremely nice brush.

Cheers,
Pyro.

kent

New in Town
I've never been able to find much of a haircut I liked, but eventually I've fallen into the short on the sides, and long on top as Matt Deckard mentioned. I think it's the only haircut I've had that I can say I've consistently liked.

I haven't played with any oil or goop trying to get the top to stay to its respective side and away from my eyes. Most of the time the fedora will help that out getting what I want. If that doesn't work, I end up wetting, combing over and over until it works. It tends to sufficiently stay out of the way, but needs some help if I sleep on it strangely. I think I might have to try out the royal crown stuff at some point. Any advice on how to use the stuff right? I've thought about crisco, as seen in Calvin and Hobbes a few times.

Mycroft

One Too Many
While we are on the subject of cuts I have a few questions. 1st How does a conk work? 2nd Is a kent hair brush a good investment? 3rd What did people think of sideburns in the 1920's and 30's?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CCRider