Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hair detangle remedies?

Foofoogal

Banned
A bit :eek:fftopic: but kids go swimming alot in the summer and with long hair they sometimes get knots or bad tangles. :eusa_doh:
Anyone know anything that will work wonders? Tried every detangler out there and someone suggested peanut butter.
Hair so thick and cannot even see it under the top layer so surprise when the said child finally stated the fact.

Lillemor

One Too Many
I recently know that someone's husband used peanut butter for removing some gum but I've never heard of it as a detangler. How's it supposed to work?

Foofoogal

Banned
I thought this got removed. We did finally cut the knots out but it was underneath and so much hair you cannot even tell it.
I have been told peanut butter or baby oil but finally gave in. [huh]

pretty faythe

One Too Many
My 10 year old had annoyingly thick long hair past her shoulder blades until a few days ago. She went days without brushing it thoroughly so had a huuuuge tangle knot on the back of her head. I just had to brush it from from the bottom up to her scalp to work it out, then chopped it all off, about between her shoulders and ears.

If the hairs not to horrible, use spray detangler or make your own, a few caps of conditioner in a spray bottle.

Antje

One Too Many
Paisley said:
Try using a heavy conditioner and then french braiding the hair as a preventive measure.

I should say this also,
before swimming just put in alot of conditioner and then braid the hair,
peanut butter is recomended if you have chewinggum in your hair,
it is the best

Foofoogal

Banned
We used a ton of detangler as well as the tubes of conditioner that comes with hair dye. Finally french braided the parts we were able to detangle and ended up cutting some off but underneath. She has so much hair you cannot tell it.
Now the child will be wearing French braids all day. She thinks she is Rapunzel so don't want to ruin it for her. ;) She is 10.
Thank you all.
http://sandysfancypants.blogspot.com/

pretty faythe

One Too Many
Threatening them always works too! lol Since I cut my 10 yearolds hear she's been brushing everyday, she's actually liking the shorter hair, but I've threatened to cut it shorter. Its just when its longer that she stops brushing it.
I think when it starts growing longer again, I'll take her to get it layered for a change, it might be easier for her to brush. Something for consideration over on your end too. Its easier to brush and care for when its not just the same length and pulling down on the head.

Miss Crisplock

A-List Customer
Best De-tangler EVER

Two words.

SHOW SHEEN

Found in your local feed store this is the saving product of the long snarly hair world. Sure it's made for horses, but it works for girl-hair as well.

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
When I was in basic training, the women with long hair all did french braids. That style stays untangled and in place. :)

Foofoogal

Banned
She usually always takes care of her long hair with no problem. I guess with swimming and not being used to summertime she let it get ahead of her before she decided to say , "hey Nana, can you get this out for me? " :eek: :eek:
Thanks so much all. I will try the Show Sheen next time. It sounds interesting. lol

monicacaroline

New in Town
speaking from experience

when I was little I just lived with HUGE matted rats in my hair. We got rid of them by cutting vertically into the tangle, letting conditioner soak in (I think we used VO5 and pantene) combing with wide and fine tooth combs (never brushes). Detanglers for the most part don't work,for heavy duty detangling straight up conditioner is best.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou