Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hair question

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
jamespowers said:
In either case, you can do without a mirrror unless you don't remember what you head looks like. ;) I have had mine for many years. Let me tell you, I can easily feel the areas where it has been mussed. :D

Regards,

J

Agreed--I've known a lot of gals who could French braid their hair without a mirror. It just takes practice.

As for applying makeup, does that also go for applying lip balm? If not, what's the difference between applying lip balm and applying lipstick out of the tube?

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
You know, if I take my hat off, and my hair's mussed, who cares? I'm in the 'no public combing' camp (except for while sitting astride a Harely, fixing your duck's a$$).

And I think a little wild hair ala Brendan Frazer or Johnny Depp works.

ortega76

Practically Family
I opt for a very short haircut and minimal hair stuff. My hair is very thick and curly, so a short haircut keeps me from having to mess with it too much. Even just out of bet, it looks passable. So when I pop my lid off, I'm good to go.

jake_fink

Call Me a Cab
While combing your hair is best done in a bathroom, I don't see anything wrong with smoothing it back with your hand. Unless you have an intricate hairstyle or one that changes frequently, do you really need a mirror to simply smooth your hair into place? It takes a second and forestalls the perils of :eek: hat head.

Sefton

Call Me a Cab
Well I keep my hair very short on the sides and back and long on top. A little Brylecreem usually keeps it in order even after removing a hat. I do carry a comb and will use it if I happen to need to use a restroom. I think that it's o.k. to stop and fix it in a windows reflection as long as there isn't anyone looking.

I suppose that you could just keep your hat on indoors. Most people are so ill versed in manners that they'd not even notice.

I agree that you shouldn't be messing with your hair in public. This goes for men and women. It is vulgar. Personal grooming should be done in private. Of course here in the Bay Area I see just about every kind of grooming being done just about everywhere. Hair combing, make-up, nail cutting (this last one is really vulgar...especially in restaurants!:eek: )

Powerhouse

One of the Regulars
Sefton said:
nail cutting (this last one is really vulgar...especially in restaurants!:eek: )[/COLOR]

OH MY!!! How gastly!

Reminds me of the Oriental fellow that used to live outside my old appartment building. He used to cut his toenails on the porch of a brownstone! NYC is so nice! Glad I don't live there anymore.

But anyway...I use a mixture of Vitalis and Royal Crown palmade. Since I have a traditional men's hairstyle it stays neat and is easy to keep in place.

DOUGLAS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
When I used to have a full head of hair I used a pomade by Aveda. That was a really good product but now I leave my hair very short as there is not a lot is up there. Not having much hair has shortened my grooming time by a third and now my hats always fit.;)

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
As far as grooming, I don't mind a quick fix in public, like applying lip balm or smoothing your hair. But I don't think anyone should fuss with their hair around food or drink. There's too much potential for hair (or whatever) to get in the food.

Sefton

Call Me a Cab
Powerhouse said:
OH MY!!! How gastly!

Reminds me of the Oriental fellow that used to live outside my old appartment building. He used to cut his toenails on the porch of a brownstone! NYC is so nice!

I was thinking of having lunch about now...but after reading that I think my appetite isn't so strong now...

Actually, I've seen the toe-nail cutting on trains here also. Hey, since you're already wearing the flip-flops..why not?

But, getting back to hats.....:rolleyes:

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
The other day, I saw a woman on the sidewalk with a mirror and tweezers plucking her face. I know the lighting is better outside, but good grief! :eek:fftopic:

S

Samsa

I keep my hair buzzed about 1/2" all around to avoid this very thing. Plus, it's a lot easier in the morning. Not to mention less expensive - I've been to a barber once in the past several months.

Dick Tracy

New in Town
What's the bid deal if you do have hat hair? It's understandable and if people don't like it, well, tough.
And regarding applying makeup in cars, God only knows how many traffic crashes I handled because of it.
Keep your hair short and if possible avoid low crown hats. I have a modern, crappy Stetson that fits just right that used to flatten my one inch high hair toward the upper back side of my head. Still, no worries, a small price to pay for the wonderful experience of hat donning.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic