Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Halfbreed Hats: half straw, half felt

Lawrence Ullman

New in Town
Talk about a timely thread. It's not exactly the same thing, but the "Knox Panama Hat" I scored on eBay came yesterday, and it turns out to be hybrid hat with a panama body and a sewn-on, Milan-straw brim. I had no idea such a thing even existed, and so I overlooked this little detail when looking at the auction photos. I was going to return the hat as it is "Not as described." What do you guys think?

knox_panama_left.jpg

knox_panama_band.jpg

cookie

I'll Lock Up
Mario, I have NEVER seen a two-toned hat of any type, but I have seen more than a few on this board. Maybe this is '30s - it has the shape of a late '30s/'40s felt hat, but also like any straw fedora from that period or earlier.

Dating was based on this type of reeded sweatband, taped sweat, the frayed bow (but as odd as this hat is, they might have brought this back as part of the odd design). There's also something very odd about the olive-green bow that I can't put my finger on. I haven't researched the store yet, but it's local to Seattle.

Disclaimer: I'm flying based on memory here, so might be off on a few things: There's a thread about this somewhere, but reeded sweats were about all you would see up until the mid-'30s when non-reeded became popular. Reeded took over again in the '50s. Some companies like Borsalino, are impossible to date based on reeded vs non-reeded. This hat's reeded sweat is from the earlier period - all of my '20s and older Stetsons are of this type.

I have a Cavanagh half and half two tone top is Panama bottom is Milan.

InsolentPuppy

A-List Customer
I've asked Art Fawcett to make a replica of ScottF's Dunlop Duplex hat. He is up for the challenge. If all goes well I will soon have another work of Art to wear about town.

Rabbit

Call Me a Cab
I've asked Art Fawcett to make a replica of ScottF's Dunlop Duplex hat. He is up for the challenge. If all goes well I will soon have another work of Art to wear about town.

Great project! When you get the replica, please post pics in the Hall of Fame as well! :) :)

dnjan

One Too Many
As a side note, I wonder what Art will do with the crown he cuts out of the felt body to make the hat?
A dented and creased baseball hat???

InsolentPuppy

A-List Customer
I asked Art to recreate this Dunlop Duplex.

strawfeltlg.jpg

This is what showed up in my mailbox yesterday.

duplex7.jpg

duplex6.jpg

duplex9.jpg

duplex8.jpg

duplex1.jpg

I lurve this hat. Thanks Mr. Fawcett.

(Cross-posted in Art Fawcett HOF thread.)

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tuatara