Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Halfbreed Hats: half straw, half felt

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
Post up!

This is a late '20s/early '30s Dunlap. I found two at once - one with a dark brown brim, the other with dark grey, both in pristine condition.

StrawFeltLg.jpg

StrawFeltDtl.jpg

Mario

I'll Lock Up
This is a late '20s/early '30s Dunlap. I found two at once - one with a dark brown brim, the other with dark grey, both in pristine condition.

StrawFeltLg.jpg

That's an incredible find, Scott. And two at once! The look reminds me of the two-toneed hat Robert posted quite some time ago.

I'd like to know how the two different parts were joined together. Any photos?

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
Mario, I did look under the sweatband briefly - saw a piece of thin white cloth running under it with a bow at the back end.

Yes, when I first saw these hats I thought they were going to simply be two-toned felt - stunned to see a straw crown. Unfortunately neither fits, but I had to have them. The sweatband is reeded, so perhaps something can be done.

Mario

I'll Lock Up
"Simply be two-toned felt" - you sure have a rather careless way with words, Sir! I haven't come across a lot of two-toned felt hats yet. ;)

What makes you think that they might be as early as from the 20's or 30's? The frayed bows plus the unfinished brim? I'm just wondering because I have personally never seen a reeded sweat on a hat from the 20's or early 30's (the 1930's Dunlap I had in my collection sported an unreeded sweat). But then I seem to rememeber that there once was a thread around here about duplex(?) hats being very popular in the late/mid 1910's or so.

What size are they, btw? :D

Last edited:

The Wiser Hatter

I'll Lock Up
Post up!

StrawFeltLg.jpg

StrawFeltDtl.jpg

Great find I wondered if anyone had found one of these hats.
web.jpg

Number 11 from my issue of 1936 issue Hat life shows this style of hat. Lovely combo. It was a popular style the article expressed and this is the first I have seen in a picture. Hope some others get posted. How is the brim attached to the straw does it go up an inch or more behind the sweatband? Picture? Might be a good VS custom idea.:)

Hat-Life-January-1936

buler

I'll Lock Up
Incredible Scott. I'm so glad you found these. Can you add them to the Dunlap thread also? Here is the thread I started on "duplex" hats advertised in 1915/1916.

DuplexHats

B

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
"Simply be two-toned felt" - you sure have a rather careless way with words, Sir! I haven't come across a lot of two-toned felt hats yet. ;)

What makes you think that they might be as early as from the 20's or 30's? The frayed bows plus the unfinished brim? I'm just wondering because I have personally never seen a reeded sweat on a hat from the 20's or early 30's (the 1930's Dunlap I had in my collection sported an unreeded sweat). But then I seem to rememeber that there once was a thread around here about duplex(?) hats being very popular in the late/mid 1910's or so.

What size are they, btw? :D

Mario, I have NEVER seen a two-toned hat of any type, but I have seen more than a few on this board. Maybe this is '30s - it has the shape of a late '30s/'40s felt hat, but also like any straw fedora from that period or earlier.

Dating was based on this type of reeded sweatband, taped sweat, the frayed bow (but as odd as this hat is, they might have brought this back as part of the odd design). There's also something very odd about the olive-green bow that I can't put my finger on. I haven't researched the store yet, but it's local to Seattle.

Disclaimer: I'm flying based on memory here, so might be off on a few things: There's a thread about this somewhere, but reeded sweats were about all you would see up until the mid-'30s when non-reeded became popular. Reeded took over again in the '50s. Some companies like Borsalino, are impossible to date based on reeded vs non-reeded. This hat's reeded sweat is from the earlier period - all of my '20s and older Stetsons are of this type.

Mario

I'll Lock Up
Mario, I have NEVER seen a two-toned hat of any type, but I have seen more than a few on this board. Maybe this is '30s - it has the shape of a late '30s/'40s felt hat, but also like any straw fedora from that period or earlier.

Dating was based on this type of reeded sweatband, taped sweat, the frayed bow (but as odd as this hat is, they might have brought this back as part of the odd design). There's also something very odd about the olive-green bow that I can't put my finger on. I haven't researched the store yet, but it's local to Seattle.

Disclaimer: I'm flying based on memory here, so might be off on a few things: There's a thread about this somewhere, but reeded sweats were about all you would see up until the mid-'30s when non-reeded became popular. Reeded took over again in the '50s. Some companies like Borsalino, are impossible to date based on reeded vs non-reeded. This hat's reeded sweat is from the earlier period - all of my '20s and older Stetsons are of this type.

Thanks for the clarification Scott. I've never actually seen a two-tone hat in person, only in photos.

The 30's hats I've handled myself all had unreeded sweats. The (admittedly very few) 20's hats I've seen in person hat unreeded sweats as well, but then these were all from Germany so there might be a difference.

Oldsarge

One Too Many
When I first opened this thread and saw those hats I though they were just a delightful eccentricity. However, upon further consideration I'm getting the feeling that they actually make a great deal of sense. The straw top gives ventilation superior even to the Tilley's with the mesh side and look a heck of a lot better. What a great fancy summer hat! I can imagine one of those going wonderfully with a seersucker coat and trousers (unmatching!) and a pima cotton polo shirt. I would put mesh spectators on my feet either sockless or with very low cut cotton socks. A really grand look, IMO.

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
I like straw hats, I like felt hats, I like spectator shoes, I like patchwork caps. I don't like these. If you like them, wear away. They are fascinating, but I cannot see myself ever wearing one. If I run across one, I will pick it up to sell to one of y'all though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
John Frum