Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Halloween costumes!

MaryMary

One of the Regulars
OMG am loving this thread! Inky, your photos are amazing!!

I absolutely adore Halloween and really get into it - lately I have been on an 80's cartoon kick, so last year I dressed up as Jem from Jem and Holograms:

jem.jpg

And the year before, it was She-Ra princess of power!!

shera1.jpg

Of course, we have to get the cats dressed up too...last year Cocopuffs went as a fairy:

cocofairy.jpg

Anyone do any halloween baking and want to share their creations?

Lilydelacruz

New in Town
I have used Halloween as my jump off point to incorporate vintage/pinup looks more into my every day life. Last year, I was a sailor and my husband agreed to be my mermaid/merman. He was a great sport and learned a lot of lessons that night.

1. Heels hurt so he wore flats and found out that those can hurt also

2. Wigs are hot.

3. Its hard to let go, party it up, and still look lovely at the end of the night.

I tried to upload the picture, but can't figure that out just yet. :)

MaryMary

One of the Regulars
Thanks ZombieGirl! My favourite was She-Ra...except that it was sort of a pain wearing that head piece all night...I kept smacking my head getting out of the car...LOL

Kiri

One of the Regulars
To be honest, Halloween terrifies me. I hate all the blood, gore and darkness.
That said, our church has a costume party on that night so we get to eat candy and dress up as long as we're not a bad guy. Which I can't say I mind at all.
Last year I was a 20's flapper, but I wasn't into vintage at the time so I didn't do very well on the authenticity. This year I'm thinking of doing a 1940's Lois Lane. I think that would be fun, I have the 1939-1941 Superman comic book and I love all of Lois's oufits! :)

buddy5909

One of the Regulars
Kiri That sounds like a very good idea for a costume. Something you don't see all the time which is nice. I hate going to a party and finding a twin there. Hope to see pictures! :c)]

Inky

One Too Many
Sadly i was not feeling very Halloween-inspired this year until I came in here and started looking and it made me feel better ;) Halloween is also my 7th wedding anniversary and we always go out dancing, so comfort is necessary.

This year we are going as a a working gal from WWII era - everyone will say rosie, yes, i know, inspired by the norman rockwell image

NormanRockwell-Rosie-the-Riveter-1943.jpg

My hubby will be going as a WWII era U.S. Navy sailor in working dungarees - he was in the Navy so that costume is easy!

comfort and ability to dance in our costumes are a top priority!

Now what are you all working on for this year?

annet

One of the Regulars
we don't really do halloween here... there's carnival in february, when everyone just dresses up as whatever you want!

but there is a comic book/movie/scifi convention in october and my boy and me are thinking about dressing up as bonnie and clyde. we have most of the necessary clothing, just have to find him a hat, two guns and fake a newspaper with a 'wanted' thingy with our faces on the cover!

HepKitty

One Too Many
I think I put this pic in the SUWYM thread but here it is again...

made these wow 5 years ago I can't believe it's been that long. my kids were only 4 *sniff* anyway these were simplicity patterns, except the Hello Kitty hood, I made that, and made a pattern from a t-shirt for the dress and put a skirt on it. she actually won the costume contest in her age group at the zoo...

since it's established that I'm always the short one... I made the ghawazee coat & pillbox hat, undercoat & veil, the choli (black layer), took a normal bra and put part of an old belt on it, and had some sort of outfit-appropriate pants on underneath. I bought the hip scarf

pic000156996209.jpg

deadpandiva

Call Me a Cab
1a4097.jpg

I am in love with the Alice In Wonderland Dress even though I never saw the movie. I really just want to find a pattern for it as this version is quite pricey.

1a2970.jpg

Victoria Trading Company has alot of nice and pricey costumes.

Puzzicato

One Too Many
HepKitty said:
since it's established that I'm always the short one... I made the ghawazee coat & pillbox hat, undercoat & veil, the choli (black layer), took a normal bra and put part of an old belt on it, and had some sort of outfit-appropriate pants on underneath. I bought the hip scarf

pic000156996209.jpg

Really pretty! Did you use the Folkwear pattern for the choli?

Valya

New in Town
deadpandiva said:
1a4097.jpg

I am in love with the Alice In Wonderland Dress even though I never saw the movie. I really just want to find a pattern for it as this version is quite pricey.

I think Simplicity sells an Alice in Wonderland pattern based on the dress from the movie, as well as the Queen of Hearts dress, maybe that is what you're looking for? :)

(edit: typo!)

HepKitty

One Too Many
Puzzicato said:
Really pretty! Did you use the Folkwear pattern for the choli?

thank you :) I used the Fat Chance Belly Dance pattern. I've looked on the website but I don't see the pattern for sale anymore, but I do see that you can buy the cholis already made. for a lot of $ of course

http://www.fcbd.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=89_112

They're fine for class but they do look better underneath a coin bra

The ghawazee coat and purple undercoat are Al-Zahra's pattern

http://www.amazon.com/Adjustable-Ghawazee-Coat-Turkish-Pattern/dp/B0034RUX6C

the hat is a plain pillbox hat. I think I copied this one from someone else's patterns but any pillbox hat will do quite nicely

Puzzicato

One Too Many
HepKitty said:
thank you :) I used the Fat Chance Belly Dance pattern. I've looked on the website but I don't see the pattern for sale anymore, but I do see that you can buy the cholis already made. for a lot of $ of course

http://www.fcbd.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=89_112

They're fine for class but they do look better underneath a coin bra

The ghawazee coat and purple undercoat are Al-Zahra's pattern

http://www.amazon.com/Adjustable-Ghawazee-Coat-Turkish-Pattern/dp/B0034RUX6C

the hat is a plain pillbox hat. I think I copied this one from someone else's patterns but any pillbox hat will do quite nicely

http://www.folkwear.com/144.html Carolena worked with Folkwear on this pattern, but I don't think they sell it from the FCBD site. I love the Flying Skirts cholis. I've had a couple of others, but they aren't as supportive and don't fit as well.

HepKitty

One Too Many
Puzzicato said:
http://www.folkwear.com/144.html Carolena worked with Folkwear on this pattern, but I don't think they sell it from the FCBD site. I love the Flying Skirts cholis. I've had a couple of others, but they aren't as supportive and don't fit as well.

FCBD used to sell the pattern directly. that's where I got my copy, but that was years ago. I'm glad that someone is still selling it though

there is the coin bra pattern too. that one I did buy from them about 3 years ago because I wanted to spare myself some agony. I don't like them middle of it though, so I took an old underwire bra, cut the straps, back, and cups off, and sewed it into the bra to stabilize it. also attached a big kuchi piece to hide the middle section of it. much better!

Black Dahlia

Call Me a Cab
MaryMary said:
OMG am loving this thread! Inky, your photos are amazing!!

I absolutely adore Halloween and really get into it - lately I have been on an 80's cartoon kick, so last year I dressed up as Jem from Jem and Holograms:

jem.jpg

Anyone do any halloween baking and want to share their creations?

OMG you're an amazing Jem! I've always been into the cartoon and dolls, I collect them. Have all the dolls, and the stage, etc. He he! One never grows up!

X
BD

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points