Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Halloween costumes!

Inky

One Too Many
*martini*time* said:
I attached random office supplies to myself and put 3 big black circles on my shirt and that was the "3 hole punch" office supply. Don't you watch "The Office"? Jim went as a 3 hole punch one time and i ripped off his idea! lol

LOL - okay, i get it - cute actually. And no, I don't watch The Office. I know. I know. I'm probably the only person on the planet. I prefer drama/mystery/vampire/forensic TeeVee.

Miss Caroline

Familiar Face
I'm a bit of a fan of dressing up.
I want to be Nurse Gladys Emmanuel from Open All Hours, but trying to find a good 1960's nurses costume is hard....
These are a few of the costumes I've done, from a Vince Ray Pin up zombie, to Queen of Hearts. :)

n509835953_249540_2168.jpg

4675_102152146013_501336013_3221026_910598_n.jpg

n503011211_1823994_6990.jpg

Coopsgirl

New in Town
I love Halloween and always dress up. They let us wear costumes to work (as long as they are tasteful) so that’s fun. I always decorate my house too (inside and out) and every year we are the hit of the neighborhood. We get around 150 trick or treaters (pretty good for a small town subdivision) and I work hard to improve and change stuff up each year so the kids will be surprised. Last year, instead of the traditional fog machine, I got a bubble fogger. It puts out bubbles of varying sizes with the fog inside the bubbles. When they pop, the fog is released. It was a huge hit as the kids and their parents loved it.

I’m not sure what I’ll dress up as this year. I usually alternate between scary and pretty and I did scary last year as a witch. One year I went as the frog princess and carried around a stuffed frog on a little pillow. Sadly, when I kissed him, he did not turn into Gary Cooper (my dream man :) ).

Shirin

A-List Customer
Coopsgirl said:
I love Halloween and always dress up. They let us wear costumes to work (as long as they are tasteful) so that’s fun. I always decorate my house too (inside and out) and every year we are the hit of the neighborhood. We get around 150 trick or treaters (pretty good for a small town subdivision) and I work hard to improve and change stuff up each year so the kids will be surprised. Last year, instead of the traditional fog machine, I got a bubble fogger. It puts out bubbles of varying sizes with the fog inside the bubbles. When they pop, the fog is released. It was a huge hit as the kids and their parents loved it.

I’m not sure what I’ll dress up as this year. I usually alternate between scary and pretty and I did scary last year as a witch. One year I went as the frog princess and carried around a stuffed frog on a little pillow. Sadly, when I kissed him, he did not turn into Gary Cooper (my dream man :) ).

See, now this is what I like to hear. I'm like you, I spend actually the day before Halloween setting everything up. I wait because sometimes it rains here a few days before Halloween so I've learned the hard way to be patient. I always carve 6 pumpkins, no more, no less. We also got a bubble fogger last year, I think I loved it more than the kids! I wonder how many Micheal Jacksons we are gong to see this year. BTW, the princess and frog idea is fantastic. I haven't seen that one in quite a while.

December

One of the Regulars
Coopsgirl said:
We get around 150 trick or treaters (pretty good for a small town subdivision) and I work hard to improve and change stuff up each year so the kids will be surprised.

I wish we got that many!

Around here we are lucky to get 2 groups. I'm sure there were more when I was a child. Parents are so paranoid these days.

I really wish Halloween was as big over here as it is in America.

I'm definitely on the lookout for some vintage costume patterns.

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
Since everyday is Halloween for me, I wear jeans and a fitted top on that day! lol Really. It's my "normal person" costume.

Fleur De Guerre

Call Me a Cab
They are trying really hard to make it popular over here, as it is in the US. Unfortunately, the gangs of teenage thugs that come 'trick or treating' really just want money. I go out on Halloween every year to avoid them! lol

zendy

A-List Customer
I couldn't live without Halloween. Every year my friends and I have a costumed Critical Mass to a concert or party. It's funny because most people think it's a parade.

saraicat

New in Town
I'm going to a wedding on Halloween this year, so I need to think of something appropriate, since I usually go for the gore factor. I've been inspired by illustrations of vintage halloween costumes from the 1920s, and I'm thinking about something like a vintage-style bat costume: making a 1920s dress with "wings" that attach to my wrists, and little bat ear headband, maybe even beaded.

My husband wants to dress as circus performers, but I'm having trouble thinking of a good ladies costume for that: one that isn't too revealing or boring. Maybe the half man, half woman.

lazydaisyltd

One of the Regulars
Miss Neecerie said:
I have a love-hate affair with Halloween.

I like the idea of the holiday, it seems fun and so forth.....but I haven't dressed up or even wanted to in years really. Last year i went to the Cicada Halloween event dressed as a peacock and that's probably the most effort I have put into a costume in 15 years or more.

IMG_0909.jpg

There is just something about having your birthday never -really- be your special day that just makes it all slightly less great.

I grew up working in a friends haunted house, so I never got to be what -I- wanted to be each yea....and I never got to have -my birthday- party or festivities on my birthday, as everyone is always too busy doing Halloween stuff.

And if I see another pumpkin shaped birthday cake covered in candy corn...

Oh, this makes me sad...my 1-year-old daughter's birthday is Halloween. Everything you said is what I worry she will feel. :( I really, really did not want that for her birthday, but it just worked out that way. People have tried to tell me that she won't mind having a Halloween birthday, but I know that what you say is true. :(

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
lazydaisyltd said:
Oh, this makes me sad...my 1-year-old daughter's birthday is Halloween. Everything you said is what I worry she will feel. :( I really, really did not want that for her birthday, but it just worked out that way. People have tried to tell me that she won't mind having a Halloween birthday, but I know that what you say is true. :(

Well here is the thing....its all about making it her birthday....without necessarily always connecting it to Halloween.

make her cake...-her- cake......if she wants pink with princesses....then you do that....even if you are having a Halloween party...then have two cakes....one that is just her birthday cake. And if you are going to do her party later....I would still stop and take a moment on the day....to make sure that something about the day is celebrated 'just as her birthday'...maybe start a tradition of breakfast pancakes with a candle and singing....that way...it is always her birthday -before- it is Halloween!.

You get her a birthday card....not a Halloween card with 'happy birthday' written in it.....

In my mind..its all about making sure to have the birthday part of it not be the afterthought of it all.....if that makes sense?

And if she asks for Halloween themed things..then its good....

December

One of the Regulars
My brother's best friend was born on Halloween.

He's 9 now, and as far as I remember, he has always loved having a Halloween birthday and always, without exception, had a Halloween-themed party.

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
And just so this is not all doom and gloom...

I finally got to wear the costume I had dreamed about since childhood...on my 21st birthday.

I had never told anyone...because when I was young enough to imagine it...I worked in a haunted house and it would not have been scary...

So for my 21st birthday.....I was a Birthday Cake. Complete with a huge wire frame, 2 layers....a candle shaped hat....and fabric painted frosting saying "happy Birthday to me' on the sides.....

alas...this was pre digital cameras......but the costume is still in my mothers garage...took me a whole summer to make it. :D

lady eel

New in Town
lazydaisyltd said:

How about making her feel and telling her she's extra special because she has a holiday Birthday. One thing's for sure people will not forget her Birthday! I know I'd love it, as someone who LOVES Halloween and also as someone whose boyfriends, friends and even own Mother has forgotten her Birthday.

if life hands you (what you may think is) lemons, make lemonade!

saraicat

New in Town
Shirin said:
saraicat, is everyone dressing in a costume? Does the bride have a theme going? Maybe you could go as Audrey Hepburn

Oh yes, everyone is dressing up, including the bride and groom! Anyone who doesn't wear a costume has one assigned to her or him at the door.

That Holly Golightly costume is a pretty darn cute idea!

Shirin

A-List Customer
lady eel said:
I know I'd love it, as someone who LOVES Halloween and also as someone whose boyfriends, friends and even own Mother has forgotten her Birthday.

Me too! My mom didn't even acknowledge my existence this year. Hubby didn't forget, but he didn't do anything special for me either:( I had to pick out my own birthday gift again. Of course he loved it when I gave him a card hand written in Farsi (his native language) by me, plus a shirt and shorts to match.

Miss Caroline

Familiar Face
Shirin said:
Me too! My mom didn't even acknowledge my existence this year. Hubby didn't forget, but he didn't do anything special for me either:( I had to pick out my own birthday gift again. Of course he loved it when I gave him a card hand written in Farsi (his native language) by me, plus a shirt and shorts to match.
ooh.. i'm half persian. interesting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner