Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hand painted squadron leather patches

Howdy All!
I'am new to this site...but what I've seen, there's a lot of WWII buffs out there. I have just started a website (still under construction) of handpainted
leather patches. Please feel free to visit. I welcome your views and could use some imput on how to make the site better...I am new to that as well.
Thanks.
www.jbmilart.com

Last edited:

fl&wvmike

Familiar Face
jbmilart .....................
I will be following your website. Let me know when it is up. I have two jackets, with hand painted patches. It might be a while before I can photograph them though. I will be glad to, later.
Fl&WVMike

Fl&WVMike...
Thanks for taking a look at the site...tell me what you think about it? It won't be long for it to be offically running, just a little "tweaking" to get it right. The patches are an ongoing deal, creating more patches isn't the problem
right now...it's getting the website set up correctly, which is a nightmare especially since I've never done anything like this before. New patches that I have researched are in the final stages and will be on the site shortly, including
reproduction handmade leather name tags...in natural leather and in antique glaze, giving it the worn 60 year old look. These will be on the site soon.
Again, Thanks for looking!
jbmilart

Bingo

New in Town
Jim.
These are great! Could you tell me what you use for weather proofing, as I have started out painting nose art on A2 jackets. Mainly as a hobby, but I have sold one and now have a commission. So it would be good to have additional protection for the artwork. Each jacket is dedicated to a crew lost in an unnamed plane.

Al

Howdy Al...
I use a Tandy Leather product called Eco-Flo leather finish (Satin Shene). You put a thin coat over the art work with a small sponge, only after the artwork is completely dry. I use a small test strip of painted leather done about the same time I have finished the artwork, because if the paint is not completely cured it will smear. On the patches it useally takes about a good 48 hrs or more for the paint to cure. I haven't done a A2 jacket yet, and do not know what paint you use, so it might take a little time to figure it out. The Tandy people said that the leather finish will actually seal the paint to the leather, sometimes a couple of thin coats is all you need. I would really test it out first being that you've got a huge investment with those A2s!
Hope this helps you out.
Best reguards,
Jim

Bingo

New in Town
Thanks for getting back Jim. After talking to other people who paint onto leather, the most popular paint seems to be acrylic paint.
This is what i use and I think it works really well, as it's very flexible and takes to leather. I'll try out the sealer on a scrap bit of leather first.
Once again, thanks for the info.

Happy painting

Al

Howdy All!
Just want to let you all know that my website is up and running...although somethings needs to be changed a little bit, but overall it's running. I will putting in some new photos soon, of the leather strip name tags and some new
patches I am working on.
Thanks All,
Jim

SIGGY

A-List Customer
From one leather unit patch artist to another, your work is great , looks like your work should go places !!!!!!!!
The site looks good too !
Johnny
WeBeEmblems(at)aol.com

Thanks a lot Johnny!

I really appreciate the kind comments. I've only just started...but have been getting good support from veterans and military historians and fellow artist like yourself.
Thanks very much. I can't wait to see some of your stuff as well. Keep in touch Johnny!
Best reguards,
Jim

majormajor

One Too Many
Hi Jim.

The site looks good.

I did quite a bit of noseart and patches some years ago, but some of the materials I used then are no longer available.

What paints do you use - acrylics?

Howdy Major!

Thanks for lookin' at the site, I really appreciate it. The paints I use are acrylics...from the Tandy Leather Factory...Cova Color made especially for leather. The paint dries pretty quick but takes about 48 hours to cure properly.
I hope this helps!
Catch ya later, Jim

STEVIEBOY1

One Too Many
Howdy All!
I'am new to this site...but what I've seen, there's a lot of WWII buffs out there. I have just started a website (still under construction) of handpainted
leather patches. Please feel free to visit. I welcome your views and could use some imput on how to make the site better...I am new to that as well.
Thanks.
www.jbmilart.com

Good evening from a cool and wet UK Public Holiday Monday, you have a very good site, I wish you well for it. Rgds Steve.

Thanks Treetopflyer! Great photo of Bill Holden from "Bridges at Toko-Ri"...I always liked those panthers...rumor has it that they have one almost ready for flight testing at Chino. I am working on a patch right now of the VPB-102 Navy Patrol Bombing Squadron stationed at Tinian, in the Marianna Islands 1944. Did not know that the Navy had a heavy bombardment squadron in the Pacific. VPB-102 was the first heavy bombardment group in the Pacific Theater, to put theory into practice, flying B-24s (PB4Y-1) and the new Privateers (PB4Y-2) right along with the 20th Air Force's B-29s...don't hear much about these Navy units that did a great job over there too!
I am still trying to get this website thing to work properly! I'll get it sooner or later...
Thanks again for looking...
Jim

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner