Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hand rolled cigarettes are the best

Nobert

Practically Family
1-Hold paper in one hand with the fold at the bottom, glue strip facing you.
2-Put appropiate amount of tobacco in an elongated clump, maybe an eighth of an inch from the ends. This takes a little practice and depends on how big a smoke you want.
3-Holding the paper in a "U" shape, gently roll the toboacco into a cyndrilical clump.
4-Roll the cyndrical clump almost to the edge of the paper (non-glue edge), so that the paper just curls under the tobacco
5-Roll upwards so that the edge of the paper "catches" inside and creates a tube. This is the tricky part, the part you just have to practice until you can do it in a quick, smooth movement.
6-Roll up, lick the glue, paste down, light.

I smoke about a half a pack to a pack's worth of rollies a day. It's actually a little less deadly than manufactured cigarettes (fewer additives). I almost can't smoke factory-made cigarettes anymore. My prefered brand is Samson, but I have to go to the smoke shop downtown for that, so I often end up getting Bugler at the local convenience store.

If you're starting out, Drum and BaliShag are both good trainers for learning to roll. Bugler has easier to roll papers, but the tobacco isn't much to write home about. Also, whoever packages papers with rolling tobacco is the same genius who came up with the "8 hotdog and 10 bun" packaging theory.

Any rolling tips? How do you roll a smoke?

I gave 'em up nearly five years ago, but I'm confident I can still roll a smoke that looks, at first glance, like a Camel straight.

The way I did it, thousands upon thousands of times ...

Fold the rolling paper in half lengthwise. (Some papers -- Zig Zags, for instance -- come folded in half. Bugler, Top, etc. don't.)

Cradle the paper between the thumb and forefinger on the left hand (provided you're right handed), with the glue strip (provided it's a glued paper) facing you.

Put more tobacco in that paper than you probably think you should. Working from the center of your cigarette-to-be, push the tobacco around so that there's a bit less in the center than at the ends.

Place your thumbs and forefingers on the outside of the paper, atop those larger piles of tobacco near either end. Roll it to and fro a coupla-three or four times, until the tobacco in the paper is evened out end to end. (Some of the tobacco will work toward the center, which is why you put a bit less there to start with).

Give the paper a lick and a final twist, so the paper makes contact with itself. Cut-cornered papers (some Zags come that way) make that final roll and tuck a tad easier.

If you really wanna be neat about it, and not get tobacco in your teeth, use a match to tuck in the loose tobacco at the ends.

Last edited:
As long as we're on the subject ...

Among my grandfather's many "real world" skills was the ability to roll a cigarette IN HIS MOUTH. I saw him do it, several times. He'd put a paper on his mouth, sprinkle in some tobacco, work it all around with his tongue and produce a passable cigarette. For the life of me I never could figure out how he managed it. He also claimed he could roll Bull Durham (notoriously dry and finely cut tobacco) atop a boxcar going 30 miles per hour. I never once doubted it was so.

TidiousTed

Practically Family
1-Hold paper in one hand with the fold at the bottom, glue strip facing you.
2-Put appropiate amount of tobacco in an elongated clump, maybe an eighth of an inch from the ends. This takes a little practice and depends on how big a smoke you want.
3-Holding the paper in a "U" shape, gently roll the toboacco into a cyndrilical clump.
4-Roll the cyndrical clump almost to the edge of the paper (non-glue edge), so that the paper just curls under the tobacco
5-Roll upwards so that the edge of the paper "catches" inside and creates a tube. This is the tricky part, the part you just have to practice until you can do it in a quick, smooth movement.
6-Roll up, lick the glue, paste down, light.

I've rolled cigarettes for the last 40 years and follow your instructions here apart for one point. I start with the glued strip away from me, roll the cigarette finished and lick the outside of the glued strip. I use Rizzla or Big Ben papers and they are so thin that you wet the glue enough by licking the outside of the paper.

RichardH

One of the Regulars
We have a smoke shop nearby that sells pre-embargo Cubans. They have quite a sticker price on 'em, though!
Embargo! That was the word I was looking for :p Sorry about that little typo :p A proper cuban still cost about 40 bucks here in Norway, so I only treat myself with one on special occasions. (Weddings, new years eve etc..)

Blackjack

One Too Many
Haven't rolled a smoke in a while but I think I can still roll em as good as cheech and chong...LOL Since Marlboro came out with the short 72's ( the size of a non-filter) I've gotten lazy but there is the cool Maltese Falcon vibe to rolling your own. :)

Miss sofia

One Too Many
I agree, i do smoke tailor mades with a holder at work, but i do roll my own otherwise. I just like the ceremony of rolling a smoke really. Plus they don't smell as pungent as tailor mades either.

Joe Rotax

Familiar Face
...It was a living death for him for several years. Not criticizing, just sayin'.

Yeah, COPD is a sight to see and a treasure for the poor to find.

I used to smoke Drum roll ups for awhile.

My wife has been in a long term care facility for the last 2 years due to smoking related illness. She was a good artist but now she can barely move and that's really rough for her. I'm there every day and there's bed ridden people gasping "help me" "help me" because they're panicked 24/7 and can't breath. The trips to the ER and the DNR conversations with doctors have been a real slice as well.

I'd rather get hit by a bus or crash my car at 100 mph into a wall than die like that.

But 1930s B&W glamor pictures of people smoking are pretty cool...lol

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jusa80