Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hand rolled cigarettes are the best

TidiousTed

Practically Family
I still smoke, and I roll my own cigarettes. I've tried smoking ready mades but I've never found a brand that tastes half as good as the tobacco mixture I smoke.
I lot of people still roll their own here in Norway, but I've noticed people giving me the odd look when I pull out the tobacco elsewhere.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
I had a friend whose dad rolled his own out of Half and Half tobacco. Unfortunately he contracted emphysema in his 60's and died at just 70. It was a living death for him for several years. Not criticizing, just sayin'.
But Frank always had a nice aroma of REAL tobacco about him, which manufactured cigarets certainly don't impart.

Blackjack

One Too Many
Ahhh... another pipe smoker eh? Good for you! Occasionally I'll smoke a pipe but my dad smoked one for 20 years after he quit cigarettes ( which by the way he did NOT die from any smoking related disease) I still like the smell of pipe tobacco

I seldom smoke cigarettes, only if somebody gives me one. I enjoy a cigar now and then, and have a box of Dutch Masters at home. I like the pipe best of all, though. I have my pipe in my pocket right now. Everyone loves the smell of it and I have a few friends that if I'm at their house, they request I smoke it in there to make the place smell good.

Ahhh... another pipe smoker eh? Good for you! Occasionally I'll smoke a pipe but my dad smoked one for 20 years after he quit cigarettes ( which by the way he did NOT die from any smoking related disease) I still like the smell of pipe tobacco

RichardH

One of the Regulars
I seldom smoke cigarettes, only if somebody gives me one. I enjoy a cigar now and then, and have a box of Dutch Masters at home. I like the pipe best of all, though. I have my pipe in my pocket right now. Everyone loves the smell of it and I have a few friends that if I'm at their house, they request I smoke it in there to make the place smell good.
Good friends you've got there huh?
I'm a smoker as well (I'm also from the same country as the OP) , and I'm thinking about getting myself a pipe in the near future.. I also enjoy Cuban cigars as well (Too bad you guys still are affected by that trade blockade from the early 60s :p )

harty

New in Town
I wonder if people look oddly at you because they assume it isn't tobacco. That happened to me with here in the US when I was in college. I took out a pipe at a mostly empty bar once, and the bartender was really staring at me. He started to come over--I thought he was going to tell me pipes weren't allowed--but instead he apologized for staring. He said that at first he thought I was smoking marijuana rather than tobacco.

I've been asked that before. If anyone around me that knows me, they laugh. Everyone knows I'm very anti-wacky tobaccy.

I wonder if people look oddly at you because they assume it isn't tobacco. That happened to me with here in the US when I was in college. I took out a pipe at a mostly empty bar once, and the bartender was really staring at me. He started to come over--I thought he was going to tell me pipes weren't allowed--but instead he apologized for staring. He said that at first he thought I was smoking marijuana rather than tobacco.

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
I don't smoke cigarettes (Occasionally cigars or my pipe), but for some reason when some of my friends realized it was cheaper to roll their own, it came to me to show them how to do it/roll them if I was around. This is due to no experience, but simply better dexterity.

Gilboa

One of the Regulars
Hand rolling your cigarettes is very common in the UK, particularily the further up north one travels. In the area where I live, the marority consumes hand rolled cigarettes.

Including myself (I smoke on average 3-4 hand rolled cigarettes a day, if it is a very busy day even less. I can leave it all together if I want to, smoking is treated like a glass of wine or a pint of guinness, its a little treat.)

There are various pro points for hand rolling:
- I can roll them as thin as I like it (choice of filter thinkness as well)
- There is a joice of papers - brown (rather earty) and standard white
- They stop burning down as I put it down for a few seconds - therefore saving tobacco, compared to tailor-made (ready made) cigarettes that continue burning until nothing is left)
- It allows me to sometimes mix different tobaccos so I can experiment with the flavour results
- And lastly: it is much cheaper and in fact tastier ( I used to consume the odd 'Dunhill' before)

Perhaps not very stylish, some may think. Well, if I go out out (as in 'dressed up') I pre-roll a few and put them in a cigarette case, and sometimes I even use them in a cigarette holder (given that I manage to roll them straight and not like a banana :p )

On a side note: I would like to know what tobacco brands you have access to where you live. Here it is commonly 'Golden Virginia' 'Amber Leaf' 'Old Holburn'

Last edited:

TidiousTed

Practically Family
Hand rolling your cigarettes is very common in the UK, particularily the further up north one travels. In the area where I live, the marority consumes hand rolled cigarettes.

Including myself (I smoke on average 3-4 hand rolled cigarettes a day, if it is a very busy day even less. I can leave it all together if I want to, smoking is treated like a glass of wine or a pint of guinness, its a little treat.)

There are various pro points for hand rolling:
- I can roll them as thin as I like it (choice of filter thinkness as well)
- There is a joice of papers - brown (rather earty) and standard white
- They stop burning down as I put it down for a few seconds - therefore saving tobacco, compared to tailor-made (ready made) cigarettes that continue burning until nothing is left)
- It allows me to sometimes mix different tobaccos so I can experiment with the flavour results
- And lastly: it is much cheaper and in fact tastier ( I used to consume the odd 'Dunhill' before)

Perhaps not very stylish, some may think. Well, if I go out out (as in 'dressed up') I pre-roll a few and put them in a cigarette case, and sometimes I even use them in a cigarette holder (given that I manage to roll them straight and not like a banana :p )

On a side note: I would like to know what tobacco brands you have access to where you live. Here it is commonly 'Golden Virginia' 'Amber Leaf' 'Old Holburn'

No-one came to criticise, no-one to complain,
just to pass a little bit of time, play some human games.
Some were smoking 'roll your owns', while others they had none,
ev'rybody was holding hands, and singing this little song.

The opening of Lindisfarne's "We can swing together"

I've been traveling a lot around in the north of England and usually smoke Old Holburn or Three Barrels when over there. Here in Norway we can still get at least 30 different rolling tobaccos, some sold all over the country and some most popular locally

TidiousTed

Practically Family
rizlapremier.jpg

If you use a cigarette holder this is just the thing, I used to do that myself and if you use a machine like this you get cigarettes that looks almost like ready mades. You can get this one and several others here

Last edited:

Kinky Smith

New in Town
If you really enjoy and practice the art of rolling a good cigarette yourself, then those machines are unnecessary. Perhaps they make things faster but they remove all the soul from the experience.

I really feel that rolling your own cigarettes is an art and a craft in the original sense of the word. It is a very therapeutic experience to sit calmly, and slowly and patiently roll a really nice cigarette.

There is something romantic about it especially when it come to ladies. It has always been a part of the flirting process to offer a lady a cigarette. It is even more fun and builds more excitement when you can sit confidently and roll a woman a great cigarette and look her in the eye as you lick the paper and then smile a big smile as you hand it to her and light it up on her behalf. Its something that can never be achieved with pre rolled cigarettes.

When it comes to money roll your own's can be a lot cheaper, but you can pay a lot closer to the price of pre rolleds if you get some of the newer small crop organic blends etc. These are supreme quality, fresh and full of flavour and a real pleasure to smoke. I source a locally grown premium small crop organic tobacco and mix it with a bit of good "Champion Ruby" which is still my favourite supermarket tobacco.

If you smoke and even if you will continue to buy and smoke pre rolleds, I can't recommend highly enough that you get yourself some roll your own tobacco if only to perfect the art of rolling. It is a most pleasurable experience which can be rewarding in an almost spiritual fashion (sitting out under the stars at night and smoking a cigarette you have just rolled... listening to nothing but the waves and the wind and and sound and smell of your smokey breath). As well as the personal pleasure it can also provide a small but invaluable social tool.

Rollies Rule hahaha...

4spurs

One of the Regulars
I enjoy every aspect of a rolled cigarette except what it does to my health. But, putting that aside for the moment . . . I enjoy the act of rolling a cig to my specs, I like the fact that it goes out when I put it down, I like smoking it to the very end.

I have a French Canadian friend, part Cree, she can roll with one hand while driving up the NY state freeway to Montreal at 85 mph.

As for myself, I like to keep both hands on the wheel and my eyes on the road. Ok, Ok, sometimes I drive with my knees, but I use both knees when I do, and I'm not usually doing 85.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy