Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Handkerchiefs and Pocket Squares

Craig Robertson

One of the Regulars
In Claude Charbol's new film "Woman Cut in Half", one of the characters, the young, rich dandy, wears a series of wonderful sportcoats with silk pocket squares...puffed out. It looks great. (of course, it does help that he had Jean Paul Gaultier to pick out his clothes!)

Feng_Li

A-List Customer
funneman said:
I've seen pictures of gentlemen with the corners sticking out of the pocket in a sort of crown like look. But this always leaves the "100% silk" tag exposed.

If the tag is sewn in, remove it.

arthur

Suspended
None of that foo foo colored stuff.Just good old white linen shoved casually in the pocket.Didn't colored pocket squares only come into vogue in the 60's?

Geesie

Practically Family
arthur said:
None of that foo foo colored stuff.Just good old white linen shoved casually in the pocket.Didn't colored pocket squares only come into vogue in the 60's?

I've seen pictures of colored pocket squares in dinner jackets from the 30s.

Guttersnipe

One Too Many
There's no right or wrong way in my opinion...

...to my mind it's all a matter of personal taste. I usually fold the square into a triangle with the points sticking out of the pocket. Generally I prefer silk squares.

donCarlos

Practically Family
Feraud said:
Not at all. That is what they are for.
Are they? I don´t know, I find it a bit disgusting to blow my nose (or wipe the sweat) and then put this "used" handkerchief back onto display to the pocket... That´s why I always have one more in my pants.

HungaryTom

One Too Many
PADDY said:
I keep a work horse hankie in my trouser pocket. The pocket square is just for looks.

Yes that's it.
Blowing my nose in them?!?!?!?!?!?
IMG_2891.jpg

Tom

Feraud

Bartender
donCarlos said:
Are they? I don´t know, I find it a bit disgusting to blow my nose (or wipe the sweat) and then put this "used" handkerchief back onto display to the pocket... That´s why I always have one more in my pants.
London Luke asked if anyone keeps a cotton handkerchief in a pocket (my assumption is he meant pants pocket) for blowing a nose or wiping sweat.
I answered this is what they are for and do not advocate blowing a nose and putting the hanky on display in a breast pocket. It'll ruin your social life. ;)

bombayjack

New in Town
How do you like to fold a pocket square?

This is something I am constantly changing, adjusting, and wrestling with. How does your pocket square appear above the pocket? Straight across? One point? Three peaks? A whimsical flourish?

And does it change according to dress?

Also, technically, how do you like to fold it, if you can describe (i.e., number and directions of folds).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy