Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Handwriting Improvement.

TidiousTed

Practically Family
For a nice handwriting

First rule: never write with a ballpoint pen
Second rule: always write with a fountain pen

The reason: friction

When you write with a ballpoint pen, no matter how easy the ink flow, there is friction forces both in the pen and in the paper because the paper has to make the ball go round.

When you write with a fountain pen all the friction forces are in the paper because there are no moving parts in the nib, just a very smooth split end from which the ink flows with ease.

When studying graphic design I took three year course in calligraphy and this was one of the first lessons our teacher gave us. I haven’t touched a ballpoint pen since that

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Well, as I am likely never to approach the upper echelons, I think I will survive.
Well then, you are well prepared for your function in life. Mind you, waiters also need handwriting skills.

Stray Cat

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hate to be negative, but 90% of my 12th-grade English students have horrible penmanship. And they could care less.

Let's face it: nourishing a handwriting is a dying game. :(

Honestly, handwriting is largely unimportant.

I guess that is highly subjective: to me, it is the MOST important thing.. stand in the line with: is my makeup OK, is my clothes tidy.. is my handwriting presentable.. :D

MikeBravo

One Too Many
I think the point about free flow of the ink is very important. I also enjoy writing with a fountain pen and own several

Personally, I mostly prefer to use a solid-toner based handheld recording stylus. Sometimes referred to as a pencil

Stray Cat

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Personally, I mostly prefer to use a solid-toner based handheld recording stylus. Sometimes referred to as a pencil

Aha..
From the first day of school (note here: I was severely scolded on that day), till the last day at the university, I used ONE thing to write: STAEDTLER mechanical pencil. Just her. My dad gave it to me on my first day. TEacher tried to make me write with a pencil.. and failed miserably. :) I lost it numerous times, and she always found her way back to me (mostly because people KNEW it was mine).
I've got lot of others over the years.. but, somehow it was my favorite.
This being her:
IMG_4120.jpg

If I had to go with another one.. Rotring.. but that one was stolen from me. :(

Yeps

Call Me a Cab

I generally use a pencil as well. Between being a math geek in high school and a music geek in college, pencils are just more natural to me.

Mario

I'll Lock Up
My hand writing is so bad that I sometimes can't even decipher it myself, especially if I had to scribble it down very fast. I come back later only to find myself staring at the note in growing despair...

SGT Rocket

Practically Family
My hand writing is so bad that I sometimes can't even decipher it myself, especially if I had to scribble it down very fast. I come back later only to find myself staring at the note in growing despair...

That is exactly how my handwriting was. I love being able to write something then come back at a later date and read it!

Steven180

One of the Regulars
Incredible how a simple question can turn into such a unique and interesting thread with tons of information to educate you here in the Lounge.

Thanks to everyone for such great personal and insightful input.

M.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn