Hanging jackets on a wall.

Discussion in 'Outerwear' started by Carlos840, Jul 21, 2020.

1. Dav

Dav One Too Many

How do the manufacturers cope with this?

Carlos840 likes this.
  2. Seb Lucas

Seb Lucas I'll Lock Up

I think that'll look pretty cool, Carlos. I hope you find a way to do it and show us. You have good taste - the wall and copper will look amazing.

AeroFan_07 and Carlos840 like this.
  3. Mich486

Mich486 One Too Many

Looking forward to seeing the wall. You take this hobby to an all new level!

Moving out of London seems the only way to get some reasonable amount of space... we just moved outside Greater London last September and we couldn’t be happier.

red devil and Carlos840 like this.
  4. Harris HTM

Harris HTM One Too Many

Is the brick wall relatively new? Old bricks tend to be quite brittle. Per anchorage point you've got two bolts, both will be loaded in shear, and additionally the top ones will be loaded in tension (ignore the bottom ones). For the shear just use as thick bolts as possible (preferably steel ones). It is that tension that might cause problems if the brick wall is old.
    Yes, I know, I'm an engineering nerd, I can't help it.

AeroFan_07 and Boyo like this.
  5. Carlos840

Carlos840 My Mail is Forwarded Here

The house was built in 1850-1875, so the wall is prety old...
    I actually have one single bolt per anchorage point going into the wall, but two screws holding the pipe clamp shut.
    The average wall plug the correct size is rated for 25kg in brick, i will have 7 anchor points, so 175kg hold altogether (is that how it that works? i am not an engineer....). The heaviest of my jackets is 3.6kg, if i hang 5 of them that's a total of 18kg hanging from the bar, plus the bar and hangers, maybe 20/25kg max altogether.
    I am pretty sure it should hold fine no?

[​IMG]

jonesy86 likes this.
  6. mihai

mihai A-List Customer

meaning?

7. Harris HTM

Harris HTM One Too Many

Oh, I thought that the bar was mounted with two bolts on the wall.

Not exactly, the support points in the middle will take up more load (thus fail first before the full capacity of the edge ones is activated).

In general you're safe, the capacity of your bolts is more than, roughly, 5 times your load, I wish that the contractors would allow such safety marges for the bridges I've designes, I'd sleep better at night...
    If something fails it will be the brick. Maybe you can test it. Fix one clamp to the wall and let a 5kg weight (for example a bag with 5 liters of water) hang from it. Let it there a couple of days, if you see signs of deformation at the anchor bolt or signs of pull-out at the brick (or even brick dust falling off) then I'd be worried.

Cornelius, Boyo, JMax and 1 other person like this.
  8. Carlos840

How is everyone at Aero, Vanson, Langlitz, etc not dead from spending all day surrounded by leather jackets?
    If it was that bad the life expectency of people selling leather goods would be affected...

marker2037 and Dav like this.
  9. Dav

Dav One Too Many

If it's dangerous to be around leather jackets how do the makers cope with this, that's all.

10. Peter Bowden

Peter Bowden Practically Family

I thought of doing something similar once using a single length of chain which would have passed through the ceiling and over the rafters and then use horizontal steel rods set into the chain,,,,,super strong and easily portable/removable but I am sure your setup would look much better.

JMax and Carlos840 like this.
  11. Monitor

Monitor

Well, they do always seem to have a lot of trainee jackets ready on the Sale page...

ProteinNerd and Carlos840 like this.
  12. Carlos840

Julie Leitch is actually on her 10th clone, a leather worker cannot survive more than 1000 jackets before the toxic fumes become deadly...

13. navetsea

navetsea I'll Lock Up

when you doubt, don't use screw and plastic plugs, use dynabolt instead, maybe you better fill the inside of the tube too with I dunno, plastic resin or something else to keep it solid and round.

maybe not so much if you live in apartment, but if you live in a house with some garden, then your house might have more insects like ants, occasional spiders, they are wall crawlers and like to make nest or at least hide in dark place like inside a jacket, in my climate we have ants, spiders, house lizards, our wall is not safe to hang anything straight on it semi permanently. so it is probably better to have longer support away from the wall, and on those supporting arms you can hang stuff wall crawling insects don't like (coffee ground or lavender, or camphor balls)

Last edited: Jul 22, 2020
  14. mihai

mihai A-List Customer

Ever heard of occupational diseases? People get chronically ill working in chemical industry, nuclear, iron&steel works plants, construction, masonry, countless industries. Does it means those companies are forbidden to operate? No, they have to comply with some norms, meaning reducing the risk to an "acceptable" level. Whatever that acceptable means. If it would be perfectly harmless for humans then norms would be too drastic and there would be no profitability.

Speaking about leather industry I know people working their entire life in leather items manufacturing. It was known since years the potential danger hence special working conditions: reduced working hours, extra holidays. Still people got ill unfortunately. Just thinking, where does that smell comes from? Flowers? There are chemical substance vapors. The fact that nobody talks about the elephant in the room does not make it less risky.

15. Dav

Dav One Too Many

Fair enough

16. VestCoast

VestCoast One of the Regulars

I made a rack that functions more or less the same as hanging jackets on a wall. No issues with sun fading, gathers a little dust over the summer but it takes a handful of seconds to brush off. My only concern with hanging jackets on a wall would be how much room it takes, as the system you've shown would require the jackets to lie flat against the wall.

[​IMG]

Edward, RobertK, marker2037 and 10 others like this.
  17. Carlos840

That's a sweet rack!
    I hesitated between copper/brass and going plain steel like you have chosen, it really looks cool too.
    Hanging them my way would definitely take more room, but the goal is to have the jackets on display, not just to store them.
    The plan is to have 12 "chosen ones" that hang in my office and the rest will be hanging on regular rails in a dressing.

I have reached a point where i find it sad to have so many jackets living in a wardrobe all the time, i want to be able to enjoy them one way or another when i am not wearing them...

18. RockSolid

RockSolid One of the Regulars

Lovely idea, really curious to see the result

19. VestCoast

VestCoast One of the Regulars

Thanks! I made it out of some first growth longleaf pine, which looks great until you cover it with boots. Having jackets out in the open lets me get a little more enjoyment out of them, especially when its 100+ out. I opted for plain steel because the rack holds a fair amount of weight, but I think brass would be the ideal aesthetic choice.

If I had the wall space you did and a lot of time to burn, I'd look into making a pegboard out of flooring and use short pipes as hanging points so you could rearrange the jackets easily, and they wouldn't have to be level with each other. Wood grain is an ace photo background too.

Psyched to see how your project ends up!

AeroFan_07 and Carlos840 like this.
  20. red devil

red devil Call Me a Cab

And you can rotate the "chosen" ones on a regular basis as well :)

Carlos840 likes this.