Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hanging jackets on a wall.

Will Zach

I'll Lock Up
Not sure if already mentioned in this thread - dust! No doubt it will be collecting on the jackets and they will require periodic dusting. No biggie if one is ready and willing to do that, but I think without dusting after a few months the jackets would not display well.

Bushman

I'll Lock Up
Personally, I never put a jacket on a hook that I don't plan on wearing often enough for it to not collect dust. Jackets on hooks, for me, are done out of convenience. It's so I don't have to fight with it going in and out of the closet with the others. If it's one of a number of my grab and go jackets, it's either on the hook, or on my back, and then dust doesn't become an issue.

mendelboaz

One Too Many
Hi all, here to revive this useful thread and interesting insight into people's jacket storage habits. As I live in a small house on a college student's budget, I don't have a lot of space available to me. However, what small amount of money I do have does seem to keep finding its way to new jackets... so storage is becoming an increasingly bigger issue. Here's how I currently store most of my jackets:

CqNRMOM.jpg

I find that hanging them backwards makes them take up less space in the already cramped hallway, to keep my housemates from complaining as much as possible.

As for the rest of them, well, I try to utilize as much space as possible while still making my bedroom live-able.

xxmnU1O.jpg

uvrtbnu.jpg

I'm planning on drilling a couple more holes in the wall over the weekend. The main concern I have with my hallway solution is the way the jackets are tilted upwards, making me wonder if too much pressure is perhaps put on the shoulders or other areas of the jacket, resulting in them not hanging naturally and spreading their weight evenly across the entire hanger.

T17dbNY.jpg

Apologies for the poor lighting.

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
Hi all, here to revive this useful thread and interesting insight into people's jacket storage habits. As I live in a small house on a college student's budget, I don't have a lot of space available to me. However, what small amount of money I do have does seem to keep finding its way to new jackets... so storage is becoming an increasingly bigger issue. Here's how I currently store most of my jackets:

CqNRMOM.jpg

I find that hanging them backwards makes them take up less space in the already cramped hallway, to keep my housemates from complaining as much as possible.

As for the rest of them, well, I try to utilize as much space as possible while still making my bedroom live-able.

xxmnU1O.jpg

uvrtbnu.jpg

I'm planning on drilling a couple more holes in the wall over the weekend. The main concern I have with my hallway solution is the way the jackets are tilted upwards, making me wonder if too much pressure is perhaps put on the shoulders or other areas of the jacket, resulting in them not hanging naturally and spreading their weight evenly across the entire hanger.

T17dbNY.jpg

Apologies for the poor lighting.
I think what you need is a heavy duty version of this
71p+ep3dgPL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

or perhaps buy that same wall hanger again cut all the protruding part including the hooks, to just look like ladder and hang it vertically then you can hook clothes hanger on each step of the ladder.

jonesy86

I'll Lock Up
If I just leave my jackets hanging in a closet, in this climate many of them will collect mold. I frequently go on Mold Patrol, and if I find any that are starting to mold or smell off, I wipe them down with distilled vinegar and water, condition them with Pecards, or lately just vaseline, and then put them out in the sun, as much as possible.

All leather molds here, even shoes, boots and belts. Softer leather like lamb skin/capeskin, cow hide and veg tanned jackets mold more than a chrome tanned heavy horsehide, and much of my goatskin seems to do pretty well too.

I have to get the jackets out of the closet, wear them if weather permits, which isn’t often, and get them out into the open air. Coming into the rainy season I’m cleaning them all off, conditioning them, and putting many of them outside in the sun, albeit briefly as it can and does rain off and on all the time.

It was cloudy and rainy today, so I got all my jackets out of the closet to put them out in the open with better air circulation. While I was at it I decided to do some re-decorating of my small apartment.

IMG_4458.jpeg

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
If I just leave my jackets hanging in a closet, in this climate many of them will collect mold. I frequently go on Mold Patrol, and if I find any that are starting to mold or smell off, I wipe them down with distilled vinegar and water, condition them with Pecards, or lately just vaseline, and then put them out in the sun, as much as possible.

All leather molds here, even shoes, boots and belts. Softer leather like lamb skin/capeskin, cow hide and veg tanned jackets mold more than a chrome tanned heavy horsehide, and much of my goatskin seems to do pretty well too.

I have to get the jackets out of the closet, wear them if weather permits, which isn’t often, and get them out into the open air. Coming into the rainy season I’m cleaning them all off, conditioning them, and putting many of them outside in the sun, albeit briefly as it can and does rain off and on all the time.

It was cloudy and rainy today, so I got all my jackets out of the closet to put them out in the open with better air circulation. While I was at it I decided to do some re-decorating of my small apartment.

View attachment 378974

The largest shoal of GW ever pictured in the wild, beautiful!

jonbuilder

My Mail is Forwarded Here

View attachment 378974
I stopped hanging my leather jackets in the closet for the same reason too many jackets and not enough airflow. I have a spare small bedroom I use for storage and keep the bind down to prevent sun damage

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yamamoto