Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hankies not be sneezed at

koopkooper

Practically Family
OUTRAGE is the first thing that I feel when the simple act of reaching for my handkerchief is met with such an unpleasant reception by others.

To think that such an item, once a luxury embraced by French courtiers at the time of Henry II, made with the finest and most expensive fabrics - a symbol of aristocracy - would today be ridiculed by many as an unhygienic safe-haven of germs? A tool of German royalty and even found in the court of Richard II, King of England, the handkerchief is an instrument that has been endorsed by the highest ranks of society.

So why is it that today the handkerchief is more often than not used purely in jest?

The number of lives the handkerchief has saved throughout history would surely be enough to invoke respect within society - yes, that's right, how many men in times of crisis, at the brink of defeat and certain death, have turned to a white handkerchief to surrender?

Today it is the tissue that rules, but did you know that Kleenex initially sold the tissue as a make-up remover, believing that a disposable handkerchief would not sell?

While it may be true that the handkerchief has suffered bad PR of late, its adoption by so many gangs as a glorified bandanna may just ensure its survival, at least for the moment.

Let's look at the big issues. The use of a handkerchief is undoubtedly an environmentally sound practice, saving the use of so many tissues, but what about hygiene? Any normal person would change handkerchiefs at least daily, to be washed and reused; so unless you are an enormous germaphobe, I must insist that the miniscule hygiene concern is greatly outweighed by the long-term conservation that this medium allows.

With each passing day of new technology and ideas, I do question whether, after 400 years of use, the handkerchief's survival is at risk. If it is not reinvented soon, if we do not start to see film stars blowing their noses into handkerchiefs, if we don't see them taken into space as an astronaut essential, we could be at risk of losing a modern-day piece of history that fits right into our pockets.

Even as a simple inclusion in the breast pocket of a man's suit, the once commonplace proud white handkerchief has become rare. Are we losing merely a snot-cloth or a vestige of our ancestors, to be carried with pride?

If you still strongly support the death of the handkerchief, then, my friend, I will pray for you on that rainy day when you have to try surrendering with a tissue.

Nick D

Call Me a Cab
I use a handkercheif to wipe sweat off my brow, but never in any nasal capacity. You make a good point about the environmental benefits, though I'm not sure Richard II's use of handkercheifs would get me to use them.

If the kercheif goes the way of the codpiece, it will perhaps be mourned more than was the case with the latter.

Sefton

Call Me a Cab
Hmmm,this is the second thread today that the codpiece has been brought up in. If you've got 'em,let's see 'em!:rolleyes:

As for the unappreciated poor old hankie-I never leave the house without one although I also don't use mine in the capacity of nasal "maintanence". Just for cleaning my specs or wiping of brow or hands. Also comes in handy as a seat cover in restaurants when I want to sit my hat down safely.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Marc Chevalier said:
When I have a cold, tissue paper is nicer on my nose than cotton hankies are. The latter start to feel like sandpaper after repeated usage.

You know, they have this wonderful thing called a washing machine...;)

We ladies chat about hankies often, did at the FL dinner a while ago as well, where I aquired (honestly ;) ) a lovely embroidered hankie from the 20s. It was, or rather is, a 'workin hankie'. Most of my everyday ones are as such, tho I do have some for 'showing'. I rarely use them to blow my nose, unless Im in a crunch, but more to wipe my face and hands.

I do however have a few dozen, so I have a couple for everyday (and a small pouch to store todays hankies). So at the end of the day, if need be, they get tossed in the hamper for washin'.

The concept of the hankie may be different for the fellas, cause I get 'classy', and 'oh thats cool' a lot when I pull out mine.

LD

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
Lady Day said:
We ladies chat about hankies often, did at the FL dinner a while ago as well, where I aquired (honestly ;) ) a lovely embroidered hankie from the 20s. It was, or rather is, a 'workin hankie'. Most of my everyday ones are as such, tho I do have some for 'showing'. I rarely use them to blow my nose, unless Im in a crunch, but more to wipe my face and hands.

The concept of the hankie may be different for the fellas, cause I get 'classy', and 'oh thats cool' a lot when I pull out mine.

LD

And they double as waving fans in extreme heat situations as well....not the best thing...but better then no air movement.

D....who only has workin' hankies too....

Dan G

One of the Regulars
I carry a hankie with me. I'll use it to wipe my nose when there is a lady present, otherwise hunting and working I've perfected the 'snot rocket'. Gross I know, heh. lol
Hankies are useful for all kinds of things though.

Sunny

One Too Many
Miss Neecerie said:
And they double as waving fans in extreme heat situations as well....not the best thing...but better then no air movement.

D....who only has workin' hankies too....

My mother's showed me how to make a cap out of one, too, by tying knots in the corners. It's excellent for keeping the sun off one's head when one is without a hat. I also did it at a ball game when real hats were verboten. Of course this only works with a decent-sized handkerchief, like a modern men's one.

The Wolf

Call Me a Cab
I carry a hankerchief in reserve. When I need to use it for something dirty I put it in my dirty laundry and replace it with a fresh one from my drawer.

Sincerely,
the Wolf

Brooksie

One Too Many
I am like Lady Day I have a few dozen hankies, some of mine are working ones, but the rest are fancy smancy ones, I like to carry them when I am dressed up. I never blow my nose into them but I do have alergy's so I will daintily press my hanky to my nose when needed. All of my hankies were my grandma's... the other day I hit the mother load of hankies! I found more - that my mom actually had in an old merchant marines trunk that belonged to her dad and then they got moved and were tucked away toward the back of one of my dressers drawers, and I forgot they were even there until I was cleaning and organizing (this dresser is one that I am borrowing from my mom and dad) it is one of my dressers that I do not use that often (I do have 3 dressers stuffed to capacity!). I found all of these beautiful hankies that were my Grandma's (10 of them) that have never even been used all wrapped in tissue in a neat little thin gift box and they are nice ones with embroidery and lace (I think some of them have battenburg lace - I believe that is the real fine threaded lace?). So, I re-united grandma's new found hankies with the ones of hers that I inherited and have had since I was 9 years old. Anyhoo it is amaizing what you can find when you clean out your drawers!

Brooksie

Jovan

Suspended
When I got my prom pictures taken, the person taking them asked me to remove my handkerchief from my breast pocket. I obviously took a little offence to that.

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
I use one--well, I have more than one...

I've always had a bit of a sinus problem, so I use my hankies often. Tissues are OK, but I don't have a large enough pocket for a box of them to carry around! :D And what do you do with the used one if there isn't a waste basket handy? Well, I suppose you put it in your pocket, which puts you in the same spot you were in with the hanky.

(Note-this is, I suppose, primarily a guy problem. Those women who carry purses have a place to tote those small tissue packages and to put the used ones if necessary.)

Cheers,
Tom

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
Jovan said:
When I got my prom pictures taken, the person taking them asked me to remove my handkerchief from my breast pocket. I obviously took a little offence to that.

How odd... did the photographer have a reason, or did he/she not know it was supposed to be there?

Jovan

Suspended
She obviously thought it was my sneezing hankie... or something. She then asked, after probably seeing my involuntary facial expression, if it was part of my outfit. I said yes. I was still learning in the ins and outs of the white handkerchief, so I was showing a little much.

Travis

Suspended
Never is there a day that goes by that you won't find me with a white handkerchief in my back pocket. I must confess that I don't tend to use it too often, but if the need arises, it's there.

Travis

Suspended
Jovan said:

That is quite less than a hopeful statement. A breast pocket without a pocket square is like a mouth without teeth. You see it all the time, but it sure isn't attractive.

Jovan

Suspended
I wouldn't quite make THAT analogy. They can make a great amount of difference though. (Obviously I told them that my handkerchief was not to be removed.)

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Tango Yankee said:
women who carry purses have a place to tote those small tissue packages
Since my nose tends to run in Winter climes, I have these stashed in all my outerwear, briefcases, bags, autos, etc...........The main function of my hanky is to mop my brow.

KleenexPocketPackLarge.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindawalters