Hanover L.B Sheppard Longwings.

Discussion in 'General Attire & Accoutrements' started by chamboid, Feb 11, 2016.

1. chamboid

chamboid One of the Regulars

I pick these beautiful shoes up for a great price the other day, they are in fantastic condition and fit extremely well.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The seller sold them as 50's and they don't have the unappealing outer Longwing wrap seam the later ones have.

They also sold them as cordovan, which would have been nice but unlikely for the price I got them for, though, not being knowledgable or owning a pair of cordovans thought I'd put it here for some others knowledge.

[​IMG]
    If anyone could date these for me as well it would be appreciated

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

From what I have read you don't get creasing like this on cordovan?
    But wanted to make sure I knew what I had before I look in to how to care for them

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 11, 2016
    Sloan1874 and RJR like this.
  2. LuvMyMan

LuvMyMan I’ll Lock Up.

Hey! Nice shoes! Hard to date them as those Hanovers where made that same style over a very long time period.
    Use a thin conditioner, Cadillac, or Lexol. Soak them up for a few days in a row (inside and out) then let them dry out a bit then polish them back up. No the color is cordovan but those are not Shell Cordova leather. Still very good shoes.

chamboid likes this.
  3. chamboid

Thanks for the help!

4. Mormonopoly

Mormonopoly Familiar Face

Lovely shoes, I've got a similar pair of Hanovers myself. They are hard to date exactly because the style went largely unchanged, but that sole and heel looks most like shoes from the '80s, which is where I would date them. I second the opinion that they are not shell cordovan, but very nice regardless.

Short Balding Guy and LuvMyMan like this.
  5. Isshinryu101

Isshinryu101 One Too Many

yes, Mormonopoly. 70's to 80's. Best to skip the conditioner. That leather is corrected grain and will not soak it up. Meltonian cordovan colored cream polish will do fine. + use shoe trees.

chamboid likes this.
  6. chamboid

Thanks a lot everyone

7. ironthinker

ironthinker New in Town

,My favorite pair is a Hanover L.B. Shepard's from the 1980, in a burgundy plain toe in shell cordovan.
    Lots of customers must have cried when Hanover left the quality shoe business.

8. Phil4

Phil4 New in Town

Congrats! I scored some shell color #8 Hanovers longwings recently. Amazing quality. I normally go for the vintage Florsheim Imperial, and the Hanovers are certainly in that league. Great shoes.

PS, can't see your pix, but I'll share some generalities. Genuine shell are wavy rather than creased, and have are heavier, and have a somewhat waxy feel to them. If they have micro-creases they are calf.

9. ironthinker

ironthinker New in Town

\

Here are my LB Sheppard shell cordovan. They curl, don't wrinkle and are very oily. They are my first pair. I know most love cordovan over cowhide, and a few arn't sold on cordovan, considering the price. They are my first pair so don't know where i fall.

Hanovers.jpg

10. Phil4

Phil4 New in Town

I love the horse ass leather, especially in color #8.

Those Hanovers look nice!