Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Happy Fathers Day

Pilotguy299

One of the Regulars
Viola said:
My dad is so hard to shop for. He doesn't want anything. He doesn't want anybody to DO anything.
-Viola

Kinda sounds like me!

Despite having to get ready for surgery the next day, I had the best father's day anyone could ever ask for. No special present, dinner out or movie can ever compare to getting a big hug and kiss from your children and simply being with them all day long;) .

BegintheBeguine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
PADDY, I know just what you mean. This is the first Father's Day without my beloved, crotchety, generous, critical dad. Permit me to post this article about him. The theme of the newspaper page was love for sons-and fathers-in-law on Father's day.

Greetings from and to soldiers in Iraq
(June 17, 2007) — Father-in-law gave wise advice: Join U.S. Army

I am Spc. Tim Warney serving in the U.S. Army stationed out of Fort Hood, Texas, and deployed to Baghdad, Iraq. Ralph Black, my father-in-law, also served with the U.S. Army — during World War II as a chaplain's assistant.

He was a scholar who, up until his passing in September, attended classes in religious theology and history. Before his retirement, he worked as a librarian for the Rochester public libraries and as a professor at the State University of New York at Geneseo.

Ralph was always active in his church and helped to raise money to buy an elevator to run between the recreation-Sunday-school area to the congregation area.

He helped me directly by bailing me out of some financial difficulties. He then went a step further when he felt my life might not be heading in the right direction and recommended I join the Army — which has been the best decision of my life — of course, next to marrying his daughter, Ashley.

Ralph passed in September shortly before I deployed. He was an honorable man who will be missed.

—Spc. TIM WARNEY
BAGHDAD, IRAQ

Dr Doran

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Beginthe, that was very moving. Thank you for posting. Sounds like a remarkable man, a gentleman and a scholar and a dad.

patrick1987

One of the Regulars
He was, Doran. Very generous, a good friend. I miss him a lot.
Back in Ohio, my sisters and I took my dad and mom where he wanted to go: McDonald's! Then we watched the 3-cd set of Maltese Falcon.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy