Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

"Hardcore Tweedists"

jaw1993

New in Town
I like tweed, more than any other fabric, but I don't wear it all the time. I would like to see roughly how many people wear tweed all the time, and if so why?

Thanks
jaw1993

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
"All the time" as in every day?

I have some tweed separates I wear once a week each, if that counts. Why? Tweeds are easy to mix with other separates, and I just like the look.

Methuselah

One of the Regulars
Tweed PJs !?!? lol
No, but I wear tweed most days, say 5 times a week.
I like the texture, especially the fuzziness of Harris.
Green tweed waistcoat today, much too hot for a jacket.

Mav

A-List Customer
Too warm here in the summer or I would. Live in the stuff from about November through Aril, though.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
filfoster said:
Is there such a thing as a summer weight tweed?
Sure, there's some 10oz stuff that would be great for summer.........if you live in Alaska. ;)

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
My year-round tweed clothes aren't made of wool; they're cotton or rayon blends.

This is the only case I know of where women's clothes are better than men's.

BinkieBaumont

Rude Once Too Often
"Oh the Heaven of a Harris Tweed clad Hot Water Bottle on a chilly night"

il_fullxfull.82205340.jpg

http://www.etsy.com/shop/fieldytweed

billyspew

One Too Many
jaw1993 said:
I like tweed, more than any other fabric, but I don't wear it all the time. I would like to see roughly how many people wear tweed all the time, and if so why?

Thanks
jaw1993

I wear tweed through the year, just not everyday, some days it's just too hot to wear any type of jacket. I have various weights from heavy to extra light. In a variety of colours (greens, browns, tans, blue).

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
To me, the wearing of Shetlands in summertime has a taste of blueblooded, ascetic manliness about it - a little bit of elitism, even, as if to say "we uppercrust Yankees are made of sterner stuff than those decadent Southerners in their linens and seersuckers. We're happy to sweat, in the office or on vacation."

It's a fancy-folks variation on the "woolhatter" tradition in the post-bellum South. In the fields, Black sharecroppers would wear straw hats to keep off the sun but stay cool. Sharecroppers of Scots-Irish stock, just as dirt poor but too proud to "lower" themselves to the level of the freedman, made a point of wearing their wool felts no matter how hot it got.

Creeping Past

One Too Many
I'm guessing that the Suitable Wardrobe fellow wouldn't mind a bit being labeled elitist.

Looking beyond his rather staid view of things, he's not wrong to suggest wearing a wool jacket on an unseasonably breezy day in summer or, perhaps, on a relatively chill or misty day at the coast, such as those we've had down my way recently.

I'd like to try a Shetland jacket, although I suspect I couldn't afford one from new.

But I reckon the manly ascetic would prefer a hairy Harris. :eek:

Foofoogal

Banned
I love tweed and would wear it alot if I was in a cold climate.

So excited when I found a vintage Harris tweed fedora in Scotland. lol

Is that your shop Binkie? Marvelous.

Methuselah

One of the Regulars
I don't find light tweed jackets any hotter than any other normal jacket - it's the tweed caps that bake my head in this weather. And I do have a tweed 'man bag' for the daily commute too, so the tweedy goodness is never too far away.

Dr Doran

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Lots of tweed here, especially my 3 piece Donegal tweed late 1930s suit -- but never in the Summer! I'm in California.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Truth be told, when it gets too warm for tweed and flannel, it's the flannel I miss more. [huh]

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy