Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Harley Davidson MC jacket: The Good, Bad, and Ugly

Edward

Bartender

3094e2ac2a705e2b_ElvisLge.jpg

This is the one that inspired the Aero Elvis model too. Theirs of course is not a stitch for stitch repro of the Harley jacket (consistent with Aero's approach, which is to do designs that could have been rather than, for the most part, replicate a specific vintage model for the civilian stuff).

This is the shot that sold me on a D pocket jacket originally; now I think I like them even more than a Perfecto style.

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
Reviving another older thread.

At first I thought the Cycle Champ was the the jacket with the two patch pockets. I was wrong. It is the one with the D pocket. At least this is what I am gonna go with for now.

Also from the photos I gathered. I think the the jacket Elvis wore in the famous photo is actually a version of the earlier/later? Cycle Champ. He was diamond level black card holder VIP Harley customer so it wouldn't surprise me he has the limited edition of the Cycle Champ jacket. However, I also found this guy wearing the same jacket, photo credit http://www.scottymoore.net/Enthusiast.html. Could be the one Elvis wore and he just shared. Don't know.

Image5.jpg

Also I had always thought these jackets were short, 23" riders length. But I just looked at the catalogue photo I posted, and they are 24" for regular length and 25.5" for Long sizes I assume. Now I am not sure if these measurements included the collar or the front drop or not. But from the photo they do look like the slim long type of cut vs the short super tapered cut.

Also, about the Cycle "King", anyone has a photo of ad that actually called this two patch pocket jacket the Cycle King name? The one I found has no model name. Did this jacket came after the Cycle Champ? Were there various versions of the Cycle Champs like the Hercules jackets? And the twin patch pocket was simply one of the earlier/later version? It also doesn't seem to offer in various length sizes from this ad.

Image4.jpg
Image3.jpg

If I am judging by the retail prices then the "King" version came before the "Champ" one because it cost a few dollars less? Or did they have a lower priced versions later on for more affordability?

Anyways, I have the Aero Elvis jacket now and I do plan to find a Toys Mccoy one which I believe is closer cut to the one Elvis wore in the famous photo. But the Aero Elvis looks like its closer to the "King" cut which looks shorter and tapered. Anyways, this is all I've got now.

Aero Elvis 0000.JPG

Aero Elvis 0001.JPG

Image6.jpg

Blackadder

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Reviving another older thread.

At first I thought the Cycle Champ was the the jacket with the two patch pockets. I was wrong. It is the one with the D pocket. At least this is what I am gonna go with for now.

Also from the photos I gathered. I think the the jacket Elvis wore in the famous photo is actually a version of the earlier/later? Cycle Champ. He was diamond level black card holder VIP Harley customer so it wouldn't surprise me he has the limited edition of the Cycle Champ jacket. However, I also found this guy wearing the same jacket, photo credit http://www.scottymoore.net/Enthusiast.html. Could be the one Elvis wore and he just shared. Don't know.

View attachment 459844

Also I had always thought these jackets were short, 23" riders length. But I just looked at the catalogue photo I posted, and they are 24" for regular length and 25.5" for Long sizes I assume. Now I am not sure if these measurements included the collar or the front drop or not. But from the photo they do look like the slim long type of cut vs the short super tapered cut.

Also, about the Cycle "King", anyone has a photo of ad that actually called this two patch pocket jacket the Cycle King name? The one I found has no model name. Did this jacket came after the Cycle Champ? Were there various versions of the Cycle Champs like the Hercules jackets? And the twin patch pocket was simply one of the earlier/later version? It also doesn't seem to offer in various length sizes from this ad.

View attachment 459845 View attachment 459847

If I am judging by the retail prices then the "King" version came before the "Champ" one because it cost a few dollars less? Or did they have a lower priced versions later on for more affordability?

Anyways, I have the Aero Elvis jacket now and I do plan to find a Toys Mccoy one which I believe is closer cut to the one Elvis wore in the famous photo. But the Aero Elvis looks like its closer to the "King" cut which looks shorter and tapered. Anyways, this is all I've got now.

View attachment 459876
View attachment 459877
View attachment 459878
Mushman's repro
http://shop.mushmans.com/?pid=158714718

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
That's a good looking repro. Unfortunately all out. I am adding mushmans to my auction key word search from now...

The median size of the mushmans has the 24.5" length so in line with what Harley's advertised length was. I suspect the slim long is the cut. Even on the old add the guys jacket is very rectanglar shaped and only the queen version is heavily tapered. But the King version seems heavily tapered too so I am back to square one...

photo2u

Call Me a Cab
I am in the process of getting four jackets made. Three Harley's (cycle king, cycle champ in brown, cycle "Elvis" champ), and a durable "wild one". I have all NOS hardware and 50s lining for all four jackets. Durable, in my view was a great jacket maker. They used top of the line military zippers and did mind using brass instead of fashion trendy nickle. Personally, I like the way nickle works with black and brown. Currently, I own all the jackets I want to reproduce. The durable is in my Bulgaria place, but I can get it shipped or photographs if needed. I am trying to figure who will make the jacket. JL is at the top of my list. However, I truly think that they are not interested. Maybe a group buy? LOL. Seriously. It never hurts to pitch the idea to the friends at JL.

photo2u

Call Me a Cab
I am down for a proper Cycle Champ jacket. I tried to find a repro in Japan but no luck.
Canuck, Buddy, for being the first one to join, you will get from me ALL NOS zippers from me, You choose which main zipper. I am working to get the info on the maker of the 7/8" spots. My only contact for the sports is holding on me, I think. Or he has not paid attention to my e-mail. I will contact him again. I have magnified and made a lighter duplicated of the famous Elvis picture D pocket jacket. Furthermore, I compared to mine and a dead even match to my original.
I am going original in all parts except the main zip? (or maybe not. lol) A bulletproof square box talon or Just as good connar zipper just like James Dean Cal jacket. If I make a goat, It will be a 1950s #5 talon with the bell shaped puller.

Last edited:

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
Canuck, Buddy, for being the first one to join me, You will get from me ALL NOS zippers from me, You choose which main zipper. I am working in a high quantity original maker spots. My only contact for the sports is holding on me, I think. Or he has not paid attention to my e-mail. I will contact him again. I have magnified and made a duplicated of the famous Elvis picture D pocket. I compared to mine and a dead even match to my original.

I am going original in all parts except the main zip. I'm going bulletproof square box talon or Just as good connar zipper just like James Dean Cal jacket. If I make a goat, I will go 1950s #5 talon with the bell shaped puller.
How is the Vanson one from the Harley store? If the pattern is close to the original I think we have a better shot at going through their custom order program. It's hard to tell from the photos and the Harley site doesn't give much info either. I have talked to Nick from Vanson before about sending horsehides to them. He didn't say no but didn't say yes. I didn't have anything specific in mind back then either.
I am sure JL can do this too but they would have to start from scratch, where as Vanson already have the patterns developed for HD. Plus their custom jackets line is getting longer now the busy jacket season has started. This would be same for every maker though. I've found that Spring/early summer is the best time to get any makers to do custom stuff. It's a busy time now and all the makers would focus on filling orders now.
Japan makers did some repros before and then no more...
I am looking for these jackets on the Japan auction now.

Aloysius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
@AeroFan_07 owns or owned the Vanson Cycle King.

I don’t know that I’d put much stock in a custom from Vanson these days, let alone sending them leather. The only way you could have luck is going through an intermediary… but even then people have been waiting a year plus for custom Vanson through Thurston with no apparent progress. Seems like Constantine left without a replacement.

photo2u

Call Me a Cab
How is the Vanson one from the Harley store? If the pattern is close to the original I think we have a better shot at going through their custom order program. It's hard to tell from the photos and the Harley site doesn't give much info either. I have talked to Nick from Vanson before about sending horsehides to them. He didn't say no but didn't say yes. I didn't have anything specific in mind back then either.
I am sure JL can do this too but they would have to start from scratch, where as Vanson already have the patterns developed for HD. Plus their custom jackets line is getting longer now the busy jacket season has started. This would be same for every maker though. I've found that Spring/early summer is the best time to get any makers to do custom stuff. It's a busy time now and all the makers would focus on filling orders now.

"How is the Vanson one from the Harley store?"
I have the cycle king last production, but I have seen the actual late 40s cycle king. The Vanson is a dead ringer to the original first production (late 40s). The major flaw, and dealbreaker to me, is the terrible hide in this 2022 production. I would have paid extra 300-400 dollars more for a top of the line hides used in the 2020 line. One thing I would improve on the Vansom is the belt. I have seen other Vansons belts, and they did a dead ringer HD belt for that jacket. I wonder why they did not include it in the jacket. Perhaps the belt would have taken it pass the 1k price target?

"I am sure JL can do this too, but they would have to start from scratch, whereas Vanson already have the patterns developed for HD. "
I agree with you. I am happy to join you and other, perhaps, in a fedora group buy?

Vanson nice belt. Special HD corporate executive production. Not currently being produced.
rear belt custome jacket for hd exec.jpg

executive harley davidson repro.jpg

Last edited:

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up

Talking to Nick is like talking into the void, it's a waste of everybody's time...
I'd rather feed pigeons in the park.

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
"How is the Vanson one from the Harley store?"
I have the cycle king last production but I have seen the actual late 40's cycle king. The Vanson is a dead ringer to the original first production. The major flaw and dealbreaker to me is the terrible hide used. I would have paid extra 300-400 dollars more for a top of the line hides. One thing I would improve on the Vansom is the belt. I have seen other Vansons belts and they did a dead ringer HD belt for that jacket. I wonder why they did not include it in the jacket. Perhaps the belt would have taken it pass the 1k price target?

"I am sure JL can do this too, but they would have to start from scratch, where as Vanson already have the patterns developed for HD. "
I agree with you. I am happy to join you and other, perhaps, in a fedora group buy?

Do you know when your jacket was made?
I have a Vanson Cycle King from 2020 and it is made from the last batch of X-150 that was made before the fire.
I see online that there are a few negative reviews dated 2021 and 2022 of this jacket stating that the leather was crap.
Looking at the pics on the website they are still using old pictures of an X-150 jacket. Is the current leather that bad?
Do you have pics of yours?

photo2u

Call Me a Cab
Carlos, I purchased the jacket around August 2022. I figure it was made several months prior? HD's current image of the product they sell does not represent the jacket I got. The hide in your jacket is very different from the hide in the current production. I did photograph some images of the jacket, but no real close-ups. I was a little upset, and I placed the jacket back in the plastic bag and stored in my closet. The hide is nothing like the hide in your jacket or the jacket reviewed by AeroFan.
my dog is not happy with the jacket.JPG

Last edited:
I purchased the jacket around August 2022. I figure it was made several months prior? HD's current image of the product they sell does not represent the jacket I got. The hide in your jacket is very different from the hide in the current production. I did photograph some images of the jacket, but no real close-ups. I was a little upset, and I placed the jacket back in the plastic bag and stored in my closet. The hide is nothing like the hide in your jacket or the jacket reviewed by AeroFan.

Hermano- pls pull the jacket out of time out and take some pics. Now i am very curious.

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
The current CW is very smooth and doesn’t have much character no matter what I do to it. It’s still thick and tough but that’s it.

When I last talked to Nick (maybe just over a year ago), he didn’t want to do it at first, me drop shipping the leather to them. His excuse was it wouldn’t make sense unless it’s a batch run. I take that answer as yes it’s possible but not one jacket, 5 (my guess) yes. I think he might said 10. I doubt individual stores orders more than 5 jackets at once so I’d go with that number.

The Vanson stock patterns is quite good without any mods. I can fit in two of their sizes comfortably depending on lining material. I’ve got three jackets on my Vanson list now, the Champ is one of them.

My plan is to get some Horween Vermont HH sent to them for my small run of 3 to 5 jackets. I believe Horween Vermont is gonna be closest to what the old painted HH are like. 2.5oz, soft, teacore, grainy waxy dry paint topcoat. I did some math it wouldn’t be more than going 5Star because the extra 150 per jacket is easily offset by the logistics and the premium leather. Plus theres no guess work on pattern no guess work on any other parts. The trick is to get them to do it during their slower times, which is definitely not right now. As much as I am big JL fan I do think the best value is to send leather and have Vanson run a small order. Probably next spring summer.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana