Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Harley Davidson MC jacket: The Good, Bad, and Ugly

photo2u

One Too Many
The current CW is very smooth and doesn’t have much character no matter what I do to it. It’s still thick and tough but that’s it.

When I last talked to Nick (maybe just over a year ago), he didn’t want to do it at first, me drop shipping the leather to them. His excuse was it wouldn’t make sense unless it’s a batch run. I take that answer as yes it’s possible but not one jacket, 5 (my guess) yes. I think he might said 10. I doubt individual stores orders more than 5 jackets at once so I’d go with that number.

The Vanson stock patterns is quite good without any mods. I can fit in two of their sizes comfortably depending on lining material. I’ve got three jackets on my Vanson list now, the Champ is one of them.

My plan is to get some Horween Vermont HH sent to them for my small run of 3 to 5 jackets. I believe Horween Vermont is gonna be closest to what the old painted HH are like. 2.5oz, soft, teacore, grainy waxy dry paint topcoat. I did some math it wouldn’t be more than going 5Star because the extra 150 per jacket is easily offset by the logistics and the premium leather. Plus theres no guess work on pattern no guess work on any other parts. The trick is to get them to do it during their slower times, which is definitely not right now. As much as I am big JL fan I do think the best value is to send leather and have Vanson run a small order. Probably next spring summer.

I can add one or two to that list. We also have our friend in this forum who is currently thinking of doing a "wild one" jacket. Perhaps he can do the Elvis? Very different pattern than the king...

Schambach

Practically Family
The current CW is very smooth and doesn’t have much character no matter what I do to it. It’s still thick and tough but that’s it.

When I last talked to Nick (maybe just over a year ago), he didn’t want to do it at first, me drop shipping the leather to them. His excuse was it wouldn’t make sense unless it’s a batch run. I take that answer as yes it’s possible but not one jacket, 5 (my guess) yes. I think he might said 10. I doubt individual stores orders more than 5 jackets at once so I’d go with that number.

The Vanson stock patterns is quite good without any mods. I can fit in two of their sizes comfortably depending on lining material. I’ve got three jackets on my Vanson list now, the Champ is one of them.

My plan is to get some Horween Vermont HH sent to them for my small run of 3 to 5 jackets. I believe Horween Vermont is gonna be closest to what the old painted HH are like. 2.5oz, soft, teacore, grainy waxy dry paint topcoat. I did some math it wouldn’t be more than going 5Star because the extra 150 per jacket is easily offset by the logistics and the premium leather. Plus theres no guess work on pattern no guess work on any other parts. The trick is to get them to do it during their slower times, which is definitely not right now. As much as I am big JL fan I do think the best value is to send leather and have Vanson run a small order. Probably next spring summer.

I’d probably be up for a jacket or two. Their stock patterns fit me very well.

photo2u

One Too Many
Hermano- pls pull the jacket out of time out and take some pics. Now i am very curious.
Hermanito, here are some images. Low quality I have bigger files if interested.

20221222_123917.jpg
20221222_123923.jpg
20221222_123955.jpg
20221222_124010.jpg
20221222_124054.jpg

BUCO J24 CLOSE UP

buco closeup.jpg

BUCO J24 WIDE ANGLE

buco j24 hh.jpg

CALIFORNIAN SH

californian closeup.jpg

CALIFORNIAN SH

californian sh.jpg

HD CYCLE CHAMP SH

hd cycle champ closeup.jpg

MORE IN THE NEXT POST.

Last edited:

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up

photo2u

One Too Many
Very nice vintage. Big difference between semi aniline vs full pigment (Vanson) when you put them side by side. To get that see through soft fading you need the fancier Horween.

I'm still searching for those 4 dot spots. So hard to find them at retail.

I am going to contact National Rivet Company again to see if they would do a run of those 4 dot spots. The lady in charge was not there in the two times I spoke to them.

photo2u

One Too Many
That Cal is sweet. I’ll never sell my straight zip CHP in this hide. And it must have been a cool dude who sold you that Cycle Champ. Looks beautiful, as always.

I hope that Vanson comes alive with some wear.
My riding buddies (Dual sport bikes) in Sonora loved that Vanson. Fortunately for me, the taco factor in some of my friend's mid-section prevented them from keeping it. LOL. My friends often end up with some of my stuff. (After paying for it of course) Vests for whatever reason, are very trendy in Mexico.

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
I am going to contact National Rivet Company again to see if they would do a run of those 4 dot spots. The lady in charge was not there in the two times I spoke to them.
These are rare for sure. I got a local leather shop that might know where to get these. Just too lazy to make my way down there this week but definitely when the holidays are over. They've got a wholesaler source that they get all their stuff from, and I am guessing these special spots are only sold through the wholesale channels for makers.
I found a great link before but lost it the last time I swapped laptop, now forever lost...

photo2u

One Too Many
These are rare for sure. I got a local leather shop that might know where to get these. Just too lazy to make my way down there this week but definitely when the holidays are over. They've got a wholesaler source that they get all their stuff from, and I am guessing these special spots are only sold through the wholesale channels for makers.
I found a great link before but lost it the last time I swapped laptop, now forever lost..

That is great. I am not going to give up on this project. Those spots make it or break it! Let's stay in contact hopefully, we WILL get this project going.

Aloysius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Since this is a Canuck/Uncle Photo collab, we should have a Canadian flag lining except the middle white portion is the California flag with a maple leaf for the star.

EDIT: Oh, and the bear itself should be a panda!

Last edited:

photo2u

One Too Many
Since this is a Canuck/Uncle Photo collab, we should have a Canadian flag lining except the middle white portion is the California flag with a maple leaf for the star.

EDIT: Oh, and the bear itself should be a panda!

I just got my hands on a different cycle king original. I am thinking of taking it apart for pattern repro. I will reach a person who might do the job. I wonder if anyone here is interested in joining me with a group buy? I have purchased some period-correct NOS 50s navy blue flight jacket fabric Enough for about 8-10 jacket linings.

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
I just got my hands on a different cycle king original. I am thinking of taking it apart for pattern repro. I will reach a person who might do the job. I wonder if anyone here is interested in joining me with a group buy? I have purchased some period-correct NOS 50s navy blue flight jacket fabric Enough for about 8-10 jacket linings.
Count me in! Which maker you thinking? The original would be steerhide and not horsehide right?

photo2u

One Too Many
Count me in! Which maker you thinking? The original would be steerhide and not horsehide right?

Horsehide was used in the 1947 advertisement. It is the oldest advertisement of the cycle king I have seen. Personally, I have not seen a steer hide in the cycle king. My early 50s cycle champs come in both hides. However, I am planning in getting both a goat and a CXl steer hide in addition to the Horse. I was hoping to pitch the idea to a very talented forum member. He and I briefly discussed a Wild One jacket. Before I pitch the project, I want to make sure I can deliver the NOS hardware and lining. And of course the "punters". lol.

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
Horsehide was used in the 1947 advertisement. It is the oldest advertisement of the cycle king I have seen. Personally, I have not seen a steer hide in the cycle king. My early 50s cycle champs come in both hides. However, I am planning in getting both a goat and a CXl steer hide in addition to the Horse. I was hoping to pitch the idea to a very talented forum member. He and I briefly discussed a Wild One jacket. Before I pitch the project, I want to make sure I can deliver the NOS hardware and lining. And of course the "punters". lol.
I am down with horsehide.

Are you thinking Regius?

The only nicer Cycle Kings I've seen are from Japan, Mushman and Fountainhead. Both are slim fits. The original fit (from catalogue photo) looks different. Wider shoulder, drop 4 down to waist and bulkier upper sleeves. Almost like the Wild One but less tapered. I am still going with Toys Mccoy for the Wild One jacket though. It's the price I can't stomach.

What kind of lining was in the original? Just quilted nylon right? And you've got plenty of NOS Talons that can easily work for this project. I actually rather have the C&C zip though. Not historically accurate but they are quite good. The four dot spot has been found. The last thing is the belt buckle. TBH I'd rather have a solid brass Garrison one than the stamping sheet metal one that is used. I think all parts are accounted for. Just have to decide leather tannery. The original is teacore or black/grey core?

photo2u

One Too Many
I am down with horsehide.

Are you thinking Regius?

The only nicer Cycle Kings I've seen are from Japan, Mushman and Fountainhead. Both are slim fits. The original fit (from catalogue photo) looks different. Wider shoulder, drop 4 down to waist and bulkier upper sleeves. Almost like the Wild One but less tapered. I am still going with Toys Mccoy for the Wild One jacket though. It's the price I can't stomach.

What kind of lining was in the original? Just quilted nylon right? And you've got plenty of NOS Talons that can easily work for this project. I actually rather have the C&C zip though. Not historically accurate but they are quite good. The four dot spot has been found. The last thing is the belt buckle. TBH I'd rather have a solid brass Garrison one than the stamping sheet metal one that is used. I think all parts are accounted for. Just have to decide leather tannery. The original is teacore or black/grey core?
R. is the man. However, I think he might be very occupied with other orders. I think R. was planning on a Wild one build himself. I think he mentioned he had the labels. Johnson's leathers also is a good option.
Regarding the spots. Yes, I found them. The four beads are in nickel. I also located the other type of spot that also came with the cycle king (more original options). The 50s cycle king and champ came in cotton, wool, quilted and none quilted. However, I found some cool NOS wool that I might go with for the lining. For the cycle king: The belt was a 2.25-wide bridle leather type. With two holes. Similar to the Sam Brown design. The cycle champ is a nice garrison buckle that can also work along with the stamped metal buckle.

For the SH/HH I was thinking of Horween in teacore. For the goat, I still have not found an American tannery with a thick goat. I know Shawn at five stars has some very promising goat. I was thinking of him making the goat for me. However, I am not 100% because I have not personally seen his work in the flesh.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GokhanB